• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRAIL FOR SALE: Alex Ross MARVELS 2 page Captain America Painted Splash!

6 posts in this topic

This is a once in a LOOOOOONG time opportunity.

How often do you see a prime Alex Ross Marvels Double Page Splash come up for sale? Well the last time I saw one for sale it was when the series was still on the newstand.

For sale now (for a dear friend of mine) is a grail-level piece that has been in a private collection since Marvels #2 was released and the current owner purchased it.

Here is a link to the piece: MARVELS SPLASH

First some background on the piece

The 2 page spread of Captain America is from Marvels #2 pages 2-3.

It is on one art board and measures slightly larger than 17x22 (art measurement). Exact measurements to follow.

It is one of only FOUR 2-page spreads in the entire series that feature characters in costume.

Of those 4 this one is near the top if not at the top of the list, as some of those 4 are not in full color like this one is.

Basically this is a perfect example from Marvels by Ross. cloud9.gif

Based on the few recent public sales of single pages from Marvels the seller would be looking for $10,000 for this piece. That may be underselling the piece based on what some current Ross painted pieces sell for, but it is hard to tell with so few prime pieces being offered for public sale. Time payments may be possible depending on length of time needed and size of deposit.

Please contact me if you have any special concerns, want to discuss terms, or to reserve the piece. First come, first served based on emails received. Good Luck.

Contact me at comix4fun@aol.com any seriously interested parties will be given my phone contact information and the sellers direct contact information. You will be purchasing the piece directly from him. His name is John Stangeland. He is a pro inker who worked mostly in the 80's and 90's and has owned Atlas Comics here in the Chicago-land area for nearly 20 years. I vouch for him unconditionally.

I am not taking a commission for the sale of this piece, I am simply trying to help a friend sell the piece.

Best,

Chris Caira

www.hulk-smash.com

That's a great Ross Cap in action. I don't love everything he does, but this is among his best.

I totally agree. I am not a fan of all of his work, but this one hits me. I just wish I had the scratch right now to grab this myself.

Chris

A little off-subject (and it has almost certainly been mentioned in other posts)....

Lovely Alex Ross piece. And after looking at the Ross piece, I wandered over to hulk-smash.com just to see what you had, and --

I LOVE the Bolland Trophy Wall piece. I mean yes, absolutely, I admire the Ross work -- but the Brian Bolland Joker commission? It is stunning. As good as any of his covers and I say that sincerely.

Wow.

Thanks Hal,

That is very nice of you to say.

I feel very lucky to be able to have a piece like this done for me and to be able to collaborate on it with Brian is the highlight of my collecting life.

Bolland is my favorite artist and working with him on that trophy wall led to the theme of commissions that followed.

Thanks for taking a look and thanks for the kind words.

Chris

www.hulk-smash.com