• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Manitoba ComicCon Report

11 posts in this topic

Ok, although my first post sums it up quite nicely, maybe I should elaborate.

The location of the Con is a small hotel, specifically the basement of said hotel. The dealer room is packed as full as possible and the aisles are, for the most part, only wide enough to fit two and a half average size people side by side. This is all fine, since the show is fairly small because that‘s what we have here at this point in time. The organizer’s stated goal is to grow the Con over the next 5 years to the point where it will be held in the Winnipeg Convention Centre, which is something I would love to see happen.

The biggest problem I have is the amount of comics available. When I arrived, I walked around to get a feel for what was there. What I saw was about 65(+)% of the table space being used for toys/action figures/statues/etc. frustrated.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif893naughty-thumb.gif As far as the actual comic dealers are concerned, there is a decent range of stuff available, from bargain bins to high grade older stuff. Unfortunately there is also lots of (way) overpriced junk. And I mean seriously worthless junk here, like mid-series Valiants, 90s Image, etc. I know this kind of stuff will invariably show up at Cons, but it’s still annoying.

I only spent around $60, which is about half of what I’ve spent at previous local shows. I got some pretty good stuff, but nowhere near as much as I would have liked.

For those who are interested, here is what I purchased:

A few dollars worth of “quarter bin” yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif books (of which the quality of both what I bought and what I left behind is far, far, far better than the overpriced, worthless junk I mentioned above)

ASM 229-230 (NM)

Avengers Annual 7 (VG)

Captain America 241 (F, looks VF/NM but has a bend through the book near the right edge)

New Mutants 9,16 (NM, NM-)

DC Comics Presents 87 (NM)

Thanos Quest 1 (NM)

Batman: the Cult 1-4 (NM)

Batman 608-619 (NM)

I also ran into Aaron (a.k.a. codfish/oxbladder) while I was there. We were looking through boxes at the same table and we briefly exchanged comments about the poor quantity/quality of comics available. Doug Sulipa was also at that table at the same time looking to buy some books.

Overall, I am disappointed with the Con, which should be obvious since it’s still going on (until 6:00 tonight and 11:00-4:00 tomorrow) and I’ve been home for hours with a full wallet. frustrated.giffrown.gif

Lazyboy, I have to agree with you on the poor layout and lack of quality stuff. There were two good dealers. Both private guys who had good stuff. One was Dean ( goes by BronzeAgeBoy on eBay and here on the forums ) I actually grabbed some solid high grade bronze age horror Marvels from his table. The other was Bob and his son Dave who were selling an excellent range of VF/NM stuff of silver and bronze age DC's and Marvel's. I was impressed with all the DC 100 pagers and annuals they carried.

I also ran into Joe Krolic ( Original Owner of the Winnipeg Pedigree ). He was there just checking out the competition and getting price points on some books. I mentioned to him about coming here and posting as a regular and helping the community at large when he has free time. He was open to the idea and I'll be heading to his place tomorrow to help set somthing up so he'll come on here and post.

All in all, I'll give the con a thumbs down for the poor location and lack of quality product. Unless you're into buying action figures. This is not a show for collectors of GA, SA and BA though.

I also ran into Joe Krolic ( Original Owner of the Winnipeg Pedigree ). He was there just checking out the competition and getting price points on some books. I mentioned to him about coming here and posting as a regular and helping the community at large when he has free time. He was open to the idea and I'll be heading to his place tomorrow to help set somthing up so he'll come on here and post.

All in all, I'll give the con a thumbs down for the poor location and lack of quality product. Unless you're into buying action figures. This is not a show for collectors of GA, SA and BA though.

IMO, it wasn't much of a show for late BA-MA collectors, either. Unless they're into Miller Daredevil or common issues of big titles like ASM/UXM/etc. There was certainly no shortage of those available.

A couple of days earlier, I saw an ad in the paper for some sale Comics America is currently(?) having. Included in the ad was something like "no admission fee." I laughed when I saw that as I thought it sounded like Joe felt threatened by the Con. I guess there wasn't much to fear. tongue.gif But I'd like to know exactly what I'm going to get at Comics America for $2. makepoint.gif

A couple of days earlier, I saw an ad in the paper for some sale Comics America is currently(?) having. Included in the ad was something like "no admission fee." I laughed when I saw that as I thought it sounded like Joe felt threatened by the Con. I guess there wasn't much to fear. tongue.gif But I'd like to know exactly what I'm going to get at Comics America for $2. makepoint.gif

You ain't going to get nothing in Joe's place for $2.00 27_laughing.gif By far the highest prices in the land.

Well, that's about how I felt as well.

Crowded, and the usual stuff. Disappointing, but that's what I expected.

I bought some stuff from Bob and Dave. By far the best material in my opinion.

I laughed when I read the comment about Joe at Comics America. His prices are so high, I don't understand why anyone would buy there.

Oh well.

Was Ferd Bernjak there selling?

At the local Vancouver, BC comicon on Nov. 5/06 the 25c bins became 10c bins after lunch. Great deals from a comicshop that closed 3 years ago.

50c bins of vg Marvel bronze. $250 for a long box of X-men v. 1 to modern including N Adams SA issues.