• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nomenclature for the novice ...

35 posts in this topic

Your buying price should be no more than 50% of what you sell it for. The Guide is almost irrelevant at that point - because you probably aren't going to SELL the book for Guide. If you sell the book for 70% of Guide, you need to pay no more than 35% of Guide, etc. etc.

Gotta disagree with you here Donut... That rule of thumb makes sense on lesser books, but not on big ticket items.

The logical buying price on a 9.0 Hulk 181 isn't $500. And the logical buying price on a 5.5 Amazing Spider-Man 1 isn't $1300 (not when the last 11 copies have sold for an average of $2600)...

I whole-heartedly agree that you shouldn't pay more than half on lesser items. But you'd be a fool to pass on a 9.0 Hulk 181 at $750, and a bigger fool to pass on the Spidey at $1800. Percentages really only hold true at the lower pricepoints. Beyond that you have to look at it as a profit-per-book vs time-spent...

I'm sure you knew that... but this is nominally a thread for novices, so I thought I should make sure the point was made.

Your buying price should be no more than 50% of what you sell it for. The Guide is almost irrelevant at that point - because you probably aren't going to SELL the book for Guide. If you sell the book for 70% of Guide, you need to pay no more than 35% of Guide, etc. etc.

Gotta disagree with you here Donut... That rule of thumb makes sense on lesser books, but not on big ticket items.

The logical buying price on a 9.0 Hulk 181 isn't $500. And the logical buying price on a 5.5 Amazing Spider-Man 1 isn't $1300 (not when the last 11 copies have sold for an average of $2600)...

I whole-heartedly agree that you shouldn't pay more than half on lesser items. But you'd be a fool to pass on a 9.0 Hulk 181 at $750, and a bigger fool to pass on the Spidey at $1800. Percentages really only hold true at the lower pricepoints. Beyond that you have to look at it as a profit-per-book vs time-spent...

I'm sure you knew that... but this is nominally a thread for novices, so I thought I should make sure the point was made.

True, and maybe I wasn't clear. I was talking about lesser price books. For big ticket items, the logical price is the point where you want to make your profit, and you've got to cover carrying costs, etc. etc.

For most books less than $10,000...

Ebay is becoming THE market.

Every auction is a "BUY" for someone, and a "SELL" for someone else.

So, if a book that guides for $100 sells on Ebay for $50...

Did the buyer buy at 50%, or did the seller sell at 100% of true market price?

For most books less than $10,000...

Ebay is becoming THE market.

Every auction is a "BUY" for someone, and a "SELL" for someone else.

So, if a book that guides for $100 sells on Ebay for $50...

Did the buyer buy at 50%, or did the seller sell at 100% of true market price?

Ummm... did you mean for most books under $100.00?

Anyway, my point of view on your question is the buyer got it for 50% off guide. (As long as he got the grade represented.)

I personally don't recognize selling prices on e-bay as true market prices. There is a lot of misrepresentation by many sellers, and in my opinion final selling prices reflect that more than they do true market value. makepoint.gif

Always pay the seller's asking price or move on...Haggling not welcome here and is a waste of time. Sellers take time to price their goods. So if you feel that expending that effort should be rewarded with you offering a "percentage" then I'd know where to tell you to take it. Other sellers put up crazy prices...simple answer...move on.

Hey Darth, correct me if I'm wrong, but are you speaking of the ettiquette of buying & selling here on the forums? 'Cause it has been my (limited) experience at cons-- not online-- that everything is negotiable, and the more ya buy, the lower the per book price you can get.

Cheers,

Z.

Didn't catch this one guys, sorry. It seemed that backtomarvel was just looking for a blessing to Lowball, so I gave my retort in quite a sarcastic manner. everything is negotiable, but let's not get crazy and lowball. There is a certain forum member that catches a lot of flak for this. As for proverbs comment , I agree. Make it worht the dealer's time to give you the discount. Make a big purchase. Don't take one hot book and offer him 50% guide (because it's your stupid lowball rule) of asking when he knows he could get 300% all day long from several other folks (USM 1 white, y the last man 1, fables 1, thirty days of night 1-3 1st print) - that is a waste of time and insulting to the dealer's intelligence.

Have I ever turned down a price? Yes. Have I ever agreed to a discount? More often than not.

Darth, whats the harm in asking for a better price? I think just whipping out cash on the spot without haggling is a good way to spend more money for less... JMHO

Don't worry - nothing wrong with it. Haggle with me all day long. Lowball me mad.gif and I just shut down and block out the rest of what you have to say.

Don't worry - nothing wrong with it. Haggle with me all day long. Lowball me mad.gif and I just shut down and block out the rest of what you have to say.

Oh, so that's why I didn't hear back from you when I offered you cover less 25% on a run of Hulks I needed.

Still need 29 - 33 Darth, it's not too late. grin.gif

Nah, I wasn't seeking a blessing to lowball. I'm just new at this and didn't want to overpay, that's all. This is a hobby to me, not a profit center or a career. I'm getting books I like to read, covers I like to look at and am hoping to collect enough to be able to go on the road in retirement and sell some books.

I'm not out to fleece unsuspecting widows or anything, just wanted to get a gauge on what's a "fair price" compared to guide. Sounds like it's different things to different people so I will continue to read posts here, track sales on eBay, chat with my local back issue store owner and enjoy the finest blend of art and writing that's been invented while I try and figure it out.

Continued buying and selling experience won't hurt, either.

Oh, so that's why I didn't hear back from you when I offered you cover less 25% on a run of Hulks I needed.

Nina who? Did I hear someone? tongue.gif #33 is the 100 page monster! Awesome...

Nina who? Did I hear someone? tongue.gif #33 is the 100 page monster! Awesome...

Hey, your right Darth. You do shut down and block out the rest of what potential customers have to say - and it's annoying. Why don't you just let the buyer know what you want for them.

What's the big secret?

I sell all day long and let people know how much it is. Then they can make an informed decision on whether they want to buy or not. After all, your the expert on modern age not me. What I want to pay doesn't matter as it is irrelevant and doesn't take market conditions into account. I feel that many of your potential customers may just need a little "direction". I did not know Hulk 33 was a 100 page monster book. If you assumed I knew, you're mistake. Perhaps a..

ninanina (not nina who?) I thank you for your offer. However, perhaps you were unaware Hulk 33 is a 100 page monster book and as such is in high demand with very little in the way of back-issues available. Wizard guides this book at (fill in price) and perhaps an offer of (fill in what you'd like for it here) would be more reasonable. Then go on to let the potential buyer (me) know what you'd like for the other comics.

I'm a realist Darth, and I just purchased a run of Hulks from 34 - 56 on e-bay. And no, I didn't get them for 25% off cover. I bid based on what other bidders were willing to pay.

Finally, when I offered you 25% off cover, I felt it was at least reasonable for some of the comics as that is what I'm paying now. I am under the opinion that not all new comics become instant collectables that can only be sold for cover price or higher a few months after they are no longer available off the shelf. (But that's just me)

I don't feel you should be so swift to ignore customers if you're low-balled. Work with them. Educate them. Let them know the true worth of a comic and they will pay more. And most importantly,

gossip.giflet them know they are important.

893naughty-thumb.gifCan't be done when they are ignored.

And, yes I'm still waiting for that price. grin.gif

Hey, your right Darth. You do shut down and block out the rest of what potential customers have to say - and it's annoying. Why don't you just let the buyer know what you want for them.

What's the big secret?

I sell all day long and let people know how much it is. Then they can make an informed decision on whether they want to buy or not. After all, your the expert on modern age not me. What I want to pay doesn't matter as it is irrelevant and doesn't take market conditions into account. I feel that many of your potential customers may just need a little "direction". I did not know Hulk 33 was a 100 page monster book. If you assumed I knew, you're mistake. Perhaps a..

ninanina (not nina who?) I thank you for your offer. However, perhaps you were unaware Hulk 33 is a 100 page monster book and as such is in high demand with very little in the way of back-issues available. Wizard guides this book at (fill in price) and perhaps an offer of (fill in what you'd like for it here) would be more reasonable. Then go on to let the potential buyer (me) know what you'd like for the other comics.

I'm a realist Darth, and I just purchased a run of Hulks from 34 - 56 on e-bay. And no, I didn't get them for 25% off cover. I bid based on what other bidders were willing to pay.

Finally, when I offered you 25% off cover, I felt it was at least reasonable for some of the comics as that is what I'm paying now. I am under the opinion that not all new comics become instant collectables that can only be sold for cover price or higher a few months after they are no longer available off the shelf. (But that's just me)

I don't feel you should be so swift to ignore customers if you're low-balled. Work with them. Educate them. Let them know the true worth of a comic and they will pay more. And most importantly,

Actually ninanina, I'm out of Hulk 29-33 frown.gif Usually I sell recent back issues at current Wizard NM guide. 25% off cover, though not necessarily in the realm of lowball IMO, but would be an instant loss for me as I'm not a Diamond retailer (who can qualify for up to $45%? discount on new books if the spend a few grand), so that wouldn't be happening. I didn't mean to ignore you - new baby takes priority - there are several forum peeps I have a pending deal with that have had to wait - buenavista and his ASM variants, Bigman and his set of Batman Hush first prints - and I'm just starting to settle up and seal the deals.

As for my price on those Hulks you needed, they would have been cover and the Hulk 33 at $5.00

What's the big secret?

Actually ninanina, I'm out of Hulk 29-33 frown.gif Usually I sell recent back issues at current Wizard NM guide. 25% off cover, though not necessarily in the realm of lowball IMO, but would be an instant loss for me as I'm not a Diamond retailer (who can qualify for up to $45%? discount on new books if the spend a few grand), so that wouldn't be happening. I didn't mean to ignore you - new baby takes priority - there are several forum peeps I have a pending deal with that have had to wait - buenavista and his ASM variants, Bigman and his set of Batman Hush first prints - and I'm just starting to settle up and seal the deals.

As for my price on those Hulks you needed, they would have been cover and the Hulk 33 at $5.00

Yup Still Waiting for the Hush... wink.gif. For Darth's Sake I hope that new Baby goes off to College soon..... 27_laughing.gif J/K Man!!!

Yeah, Darth I kinda had a feeling it was something like that. THanks for th explaination. Until further notice, I do need those Hulks ok. And cover is fine with me. PM me a total when you get a chance and I'll send payment via paypal if that's ok.

Sincerely

Herb Michaelis

Yeah, Darth I kinda had a feeling it was something like that. THanks for th explaination. Until further notice, I do need those Hulks ok. And cover is fine with me. PM me a total when you get a chance and I'll send payment via paypal if that's ok.

Sincerely

Herb Michaelis

Herb - just getting my together...bigMan has his Hush and read it already...thoroughly enjoying Krypto's role in tracking down Poison Ivy too much smile.gif; and buena_vista has just settled his variant ASM deal with me and his stuff is packed to ship out Monday. Now I've got to get to the local shop and dig up Hulk 29-32 - I found you a 33 so far....I'll be going to the shop possibly on wednesday...I'll keep you posted smile.gif