• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IRON MAN # 1 Original Cover Art

41 posts in this topic

Looks like a scan of a stat or production art to me. Usually the logos and such are pasted on the art (which you would clearly see) and a stat would be made of that (which is what I think we are seeing) . Just an observation....

No. You are wrong. This is the original comic art to Iron Man # 1.

And you know this how?

foreheadslap.gif Why must u have such a jaundiced view of the world? This is the OA to Iron Man # 1. What do u want to see the stamp on the back?

This is an "image" of the OA to Iron Man #1. I'm just noting that it appears to be a scan or photo of the production stat. Unless you can show me some previous example where the logos, text and comic code authority logo were drawn directly on the board.....

Looks like a scan of a stat or production art to me. Usually the logos and such are pasted on the art (which you would clearly see) and a stat would be made of that (which is what I think we are seeing) . Just an observation....

If it's the first issue, the logo would probably be hand-drawn directly onto the art-board.

Great to see this, so if nothing else, thanks for posting this, KK.

How come I can't see an image of the Iron Man 1 art?

Is it just me?

Mike B.

Cuz KK got his panties in a bunch because people doubted it was a scan of the real deal and pulled the image and replaced it with a picture of his "meat". 27_laughing.gif

His hallmark has been to post pictures of other people's art because he won't show his own -- he believes showing it will devalue it. But ironically he has no problem posting images of OTHER people's art.

Apparently it's ok for him to devalue their art, just not his own.... tongue.gifpoke2.gif

No the logo would not be hand drawn onto the art. As a matter of fact the original was flipped for the printed cover.

Mitch I.

Yep, you'll be right. The actual IRON MAN logo is the same that appeared in the latter issues of TALES OF SUSPENSE (when they alternated cover characters with large individual names), so would have been a copy of that.

I was assuming this was the first time they used that particular logo . . . foreheadslap.gif

Is it just me?

Mike B.

Cuz KK got his panties in a bunch because people doubted it was a scan of the real deal and pulled the image and replaced it with a picture of his "meat". 27_laughing.gif

His hallmark has been to post pictures of other people's art because he won't show his own -- he believes showing it will devalue it. But ironically he has no problem posting images of OTHER people's art.

Apparently it's ok for him to devalue their art, just not his own.... tongue.gifpoke2.gif

Rhino,...at least we understand each other. cool.gif

Is it just me?

Mike B.

Looks like KK has a small piece of meat.

Doubt it satisfies anyone

Is it just me?

Mike B.

Rhino,...at least we understand each other. cool.gif

Hi T hi.gif

Many thanks for this image that was just sent to me. I am not sure if it is the actual OA to the cover but it is being verified as I write this.

1759912-IronMan1Unframed.jpg

1759912-IronMan1Unframed.jpg.800e742fa9994838227feb79d359c0b6.jpg

Based on this one scan, it is highly probable that this image is that of the original 1968 cover. The inker is unknown but was possibly Jack Abel. Gene Colan sold the cover in the early 1990s. He has only done two IM cover recreations since. Does anyone have any information on where this artwork is today?