• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shipping/Mailing... best methods for art question

12 posts in this topic

hey all, I have a Sub-mariner art page by Sal Buscema from 1970, and the back cover art to Spidey Super Stories by Buckler and Wiacek that I am going to list on Ebay, anyway I was wondering Best (safe) shipping method and the average acceptable price thats fair and reasonable that I should charge buyer for shipping and most importantly how do you guys/gals normally ship, Flat? or is the tube a better method. (wouldnt seem prudent for thick board but I dont mess with art much) Thanks!

That might be too heavy but it would work 893naughty-thumb.gif

It's not the masonite you may be thinking of. It's more like industrial strength pressed cardboard. It's super stiff and only about an 1/8th of an inch thick and weighs no more than a piece well packed in cardboard. Well maybe a little more but not much. I've had several pieces mailed to me with it and I keep them in case I ever decide to sell or trade a page to use again.

Likewise I've also had pages sent to me double and triple packed in cardboard and they've arrived ok.

Hope that helps.

ahh, thank you. so basically flat mailing with heavy cardboard not prone to bending. Thanks

Do NOT use heavy cardboard unless you are talking 5-6 layers of the stuff.

Masonite is called "hardboard" at Home Depot type stores. It will cost you about $2 per package tops and is a thousand times better than cardboard.

Depending on where you send it in the continental US it should cost you including postage and materials $10-12 (without insurance figured in, of course).

Chris

ahh, thank you. so basically flat mailing with heavy cardboard not prone to bending. Thanks

Do NOT use heavy cardboard unless you are talking 5-6 layers of the stuff.

Masonite is called "hardboard" at Home Depot type stores. It will cost you about $2 per package tops and is a thousand times better than cardboard.

Depending on where you send it in the continental US it should cost you including postage and materials $10-12 (without insurance figured in, of course).

Chris

Exactly.

This is how I have received art from Heritage bids. I have received packages in cardboard before with no problems but with the postal service anything can happen. And if I was shipping one of a kind expensive art I would want indestructable packaging.

I find that taping 3 large USPS Priority Mail boxes together flat with the art inside a mylar taped to the inside of the middle box works well. It's almost impossible to bend as it's 6 cardboard-layers thick.

For larger art, I use masonite.