• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LAWSUIT! -- Post your litigation books

75 posts in this topic

Without particularly intending to do so, I found I had collected several books that had figured in comic book related lawsuits,.

Here is one of the first. Wonder Comics #1 from 1939, the book that sent DC lawyers scrambling for the courthouse. to claim it infringed on their copyright of Superman. DC won easily, and sent Wonder Man packing. Only to see everybody else in the world copy Superman just as much if not more

ecd919d0.jpg

Without particularly intending to do so, I found I had collected several books that had figured in comic book related lawsuits,.

Here is one of the first. Wonder Comics #1 from 1939, the book that sent DC lawyers scrambling for the courthouse. to claim it infringed on their copyright of Superman. DC won easily, and sent Wonder Man packing. Only to see everybody else in the world copy Superman just as much if not more

ecd919d0.jpg

here, let me help..

ecd919d0.jpg

I used to own several of the court case Actions. Wish I would have had the foresight to at least scan them. Since I was obviously silly enough to sell them, you would think I could have tried to have scans for just such a thread. I should have aniticipated this thread!! frustrated.gif

Here are Jon Berk's actual exhibit copies from the 1939 DC v. Fox litigation. I post them here to save Jon some time and to persuade him that when the day comes to offer these for sale, he will contact me!!! thumbsup2.gifheadbang.gif

Never knew that suit (the 1939 case) involved copies aside from Action 1. Cool.

1095403-action6.jpg

1095403-1scanact7.jpg

Here's a scan of a a different legally entangled Action 7, used in Siegel and Shuster's 1948 suit againt DC. Understand Siegel cut panels from this and several other books (including a Superman 4 owned or at least once owned by Vince Oliva)

Tryijng the link thing one more time. If it not success, I will be esecute.

[quoteHere's a scan of a a different legally entangled Action 7, used in Siegel and Shuster's 1948 suit againt DC. Understand Siegel cut panels from this and several other books (including a Superman 4 owned or at least once owned by Vince Oliva)

Tryijng the link thing one more time. If it not success, I will be esecute.

Okay, I got a stay from the governor and am trying again.

307c025c.jpg

Here are Jon Berk's actual exhibit copies from the 1939 DC v. Fox litigation. I post them here to save Jon some time and to persuade him that when the day comes to offer these for sale, he will contact me!!! thumbsup2.gifheadbang.gif

1095403-action6.jpg

1095403-1scanact7.jpg

OK gentlemen...I don't think there is anyone on the Boards who knows less than

me about this subject, so I have some basic questions so I can end up smarter than I feel right now confused.gif. Thank you all for your help with answers to the following:

1. how do court copies get released to the public for sale?

2. are court copies worth more than the same issue/same grade of a non-court copy due to their historical signifigance?

3. Has CGC graded any court copies, and if so, do they print "court copy","exhibition copy" and/or name the case on their label?

4. is the court case info that is stamped on the front cover treated the same as as

an arrival date or store stamp with regards to grading?

5. Are court copies often high grade File copies?

6. How many court copies roughly are estimated to exist from all publishers/ all Era's ?

me about this subject, so I have some basic questions so I can end up smarter than I feel right now confused.gif. Thank you all for your help with answers to the following:

Some quick responses.

Typically court exhibits are returned to the parties at the end of the litigation. So, as I understand it, in the case of the Fawcett exhibits those books became available when the entire Fawcett files were sold. I presume DC gave away its copies or someone in the company took them and ultimately they made their way to the open market.

2. are court copies worth more than the same issue/same grade of a non-court copy due to their historical signifigance?

To each his own, but in my opinion yes.

3. Has CGC graded any court copies, and if so, do they print "court copy","exhibition copy" and/or name the case on their label?

I have never seen or heard of a slabbed court copy yet.

4. is the court case info that is stamped on the front cover treated the same as as

I would think so.

Not necessarily. While many of them appear to have been HG at the time, there was certainly no need for this to be the case for court purposes.

6. How many court copies roughly are estimated to exist from all publishers/ all Era's ?

We can probably figure out how many exhibits were in the DC v. Fox case. I've posted above the list of Fawcett exhibits from the DC v. Fawcett case. I have never seen or heard of what DC exhibits were used for that lawsuit, but it can be determined. I am not sure of any others off the top of my head.

Some quick responses.

Typically court exhibits are returned to the parties at the end of the litigation. So, as I understand it, in the case of the Fawcett exhibits those books became available when the entire Fawcett files were sold. I presume DC gave away its copies or someone in the company took them and ultimately they made their way to the open market.

To each his own, but in my opinion yes.

I have never seen or heard of a slabbed court copy yet.

I would think so.

Not necessarily. While many of them appear to have been HG at the time, there was certainly no need for this to be the case for court purposes.

We can probably figure out how many exhibits were in the DC v. Fox case. I've posted above the list of Fawcett exhibits from the DC v. Fawcett case. I have never seen or heard of what DC exhibits were used for that lawsuit, but it can be determined. I am not sure of any others off the top of my head.

Thanks Mark thumbsup2.gif

It does not suprise me that you knew the answers

I saw the Action 1-12 at the 1988 San Diego Con. The prices were 10k for the Action 1, and 10k for the 2-12. Ah, those were the days...

hello all...

I bought my one and only Action 1 for $18K about 15 years ago....they let me do $1500 a month for a year...don't see that too often any more...

rick

Here are Jon Berk's actual exhibit copies from the 1939 DC v. Fox litigation. I post them here to save Jon some time and to persuade him that when the day comes to offer these for sale, he will contact me!!!

1095403-action6.jpg

1095403-1scanact7.jpg

Not yet reunited with Jon's copies (Jon? Jon? Pleeeeeeeze (worship) ) , but this is a start!

Action2.jpg