• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please vote for your Liaison Committee!

219 posts in this topic

In all seriousness (just for a minute anyway) two things i would like to push ahead with aside from the obvious crack and resub, pressing, trimming, etc and those issues we have already discussed at length are:

1. Quality of production. It is my belief that the quality of production on a book should be incorporated into the grading system. Obviously this isn't something that would happen over night but if im buying a CGC book from a small scan and it's a 9.6 i expect it to be almost perfect. If you too are sick of seeing miswrapped, mis-stapled comics getting 9.8s then i would love to hear your feedback on the issue.

2. Equality on grading for all ages. Is anyone else sick of "the golden age bump"? How about seeing a book in a blue label with the words "some glue on spine". Why is it some books with that notation can pass for a blue label when others get a PLOD. I think every comic should be graded the same way regardless of age, value or importance.

Furthermore i would like clarification on a few minor issues such as if CGC continue to consider production defects (such as miswraps) ok then why do books with missing holograms get a green label while ones with double covers get blue labels. I would push for answers on this.

These are a few of my thoughts. Im always happy to hear opinions via PM from anyone, and everyone. God help me … even Arex Crooke.

You lost me at "crack"... cloud9.gif

I personally think FFB whined to Steve.

Whined? I didn't say a word to Steve about any of this. makepoint.gif

I couldn't figure out what Joe was even referring to with that post. confused.gif

I think he's secretly very excited about this and is just trying to keep the thread bumped. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Out of curiosity,is the percentage of folks voting for themselves very high?

I threw a pity vote for myself since I didn't think I'd get any and I didn't want a big fat goose egg sorry.gif , but I'm more then happy to PM a different person since I guess I had one more vote which breaks the ol' goose egg.

I threw a pity vote for myself since I didn't think I'd get any and I didn't want a big fat goose egg sorry.gif , but I'm more then happy to PM a different person since I guess I had one more vote which breaks the ol' goose egg.

Feel free to change your vote if you like, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with voting for yourself.

Well i disagree. Buy the label, not the book is great in theory but the more we move into internet trading the harder it becomes. After all we are paying CGC to give us their opinion on the whole product and not bits of it.

Hey if you disagree that is fine. It's just something that i have been wanting to see ever since i bought my first CGC book back in 2001 and was shocked at the production quality not being incorporated into the grade.

Oversteet doesn't really incorporate production defects either. The technical grade of a book has always been used to desribe defects that occured AFTER the printing process. In that respect, CGC isn't doing anything that departs from the historical grading sytsem.

I am not saying this is right, as I always factor in production issues when buying a book myself. But they have never been part of any comic book grading scale.

Well i disagree. Buy the label, not the book is great in theory but the more we move into internet trading the harder it becomes. After all we are paying CGC to give us their opinion on the whole product and not bits of it.

Hey if you disagree that is fine. It's just something that i have been wanting to see ever since i bought my first CGC book back in 2001 and was shocked at the production quality not being incorporated into the grade.

Oversteet doesn't really incorporate production defects either. The technical grade of a book has always been used to desribe defects that occured AFTER the printing process. In that respect, CGC isn't doing anything that departs from the historical grading sytsem.

I am not saying this is right, as I always factor in production issues when buying a book myself. But they have never been part of any comic book grading scale.

Overstreet's grading guides have always incorporated QP into the grades of a book. A book that is a 10.0 structurally (or a 100 on the old scale) could not get a grade of 10.0 or 100 if it had a miswrap. Of course, in the new guide, suddenly 10.0s can have a miswrap. But don't get me started on that. 893censored-thumb.gif

Can't speak for anyone else, but in my precinct, it is running at 100%. confused-smiley-013.gif

You will be a shoe-in if you get rid of that Borat thing in your sig! Pretty-please? shy.gif

Overstreet's grading guides have always incorporated QP into the grades of a book. A book that is a 10.0 structurally (or a 100 on the old scale) could not get a grade of 10.0 or 100 if it had a miswrap. Of course, in the new guide, suddenly 10.0s can have a miswrap. But don't get me started on that. 893censored-thumb.gif

You are correct on the Uber high grades, but QP has never affected grades below that. Overstreet guidlines allow things like distrubutor ink overspray, print roller creases and miswrap's without any impact on the technical grade.

Can't speak for anyone else, but in my precinct, it is running at 100%. confused-smiley-013.gif

You will be a shoe-in if you get rid of that Borat thing in your sig! Pretty-please? shy.gif

What Borat thing? wink.gif

It had outlived its novelty anyway and I was getting tired of the way that stretched the posts out. My posts are long enough already without it. shy.gif

You are correct on the Uber high grades, but QP has never affected grades below that. Overstreet guidlines allow things like distrubutor ink overspray, print roller creases and miswrap's without any impact on the technical grade.

That's not entirely true, and look up the OS Grading Guide and you'll see references to "well-centered" when referring criteria on high-grade copies.

And only a blind person would think those "white border beauties" sitting in CGC 9.6 cases would qualify. 27_laughing.gif

Here's the way it plays out:

9.0 and below: No centering requirements.

9.2: Generally well-centered

9.4: Generally well-centered

9.6: Well-centered

9.8: Well-centered

Now regardless of your interpretation of these terms (other than the self-explanatory "well-centered"), it is a fact that OS increases the cover centering requirements as the grade goes up. No wiggle room there.

And not to mention OS makes mention of "off-center", "mis-wrap" and "mis-wrapped" covers in their "defect list" throughout the book.

Of course, in the new guide, suddenly 10.0s can have a miswrap. But don't get me started on that. 893censored-thumb.gif

Are you serious? What version of the OS Grading Guide is that in?

The new third edition, which, per my review on Amazon.com, you should not buy. Did you miss the thread I started a while ago about the new grading guide?

Here's a link to the thread

Of course, in the new guide, suddenly 10.0s can have a miswrap. But don't get me started on that. 893censored-thumb.gif

Are you serious? What version of the OS Grading Guide is that in?

The new third edition, which, per my review on Amazon.com, you should not buy. Did you miss the thread I started a while ago about the new grading guide?

Here's a link to the thread

They are SO lucky I wasn't hired to write the grading criteria. Not that it would matter, as CGC would have their own, and dealers would have their own etc.

It would be awful tough to be a 10.0 in my book.

I talked to Steve about this, he made good points though. I mentioned there would be darned few 9.8 and above books out there if I were grading, he countered with, there would be a helluva lot less books slabbed if they were that tough. They had to gain market acceptance. I understand his viewpoint. I don't subscribe to it, but he makes a valid point, and probably a better business decison than being as harsh I would be. I respect the guy.