• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The GA "Short Bus" Thread Post your unpopular books!
2 2

993 posts in this topic

492765004_775eebca93_b.jpg

This may blur the line between "unpopular" and "just plain obscure"

Could also qualify for the Double-Entendre if you ask me: "The Pull-Down from the Rear" sounds pretty racey to me. I bet they even show a picture of it inside blush.giftongue.gif

492765004_775eebca93_b.jpg

This may blur the line between "unpopular" and "just plain obscure"

He looks like the love child of SGT Fury and Big Moose from Archie Comics. confused.gif

bumpit.gif

Funny -- I used the search function to find the thread, little realizing that it had just been revived!

Here's one book deserving (?) of the Short Bus treatment: a ACG Funny Animal title - Funny Films # 16. This is the type of books that would give me fits. It's cover dated April but the indicia has it listed as March-April 1952. It makes sense that they'd rather have April listed on the cover since it is the pull-date giving it an extra month on the shelves but for indexers and collectors, it reeks of kryptonite -

1789976-FunnyFilms16s.jpg

HAH! The cover shares the "hand on the pole" motif with its immediate predecessor on the thread, Uncle Milty! Unlike Milty, I don't think that Boots had any sort of "reputation"

My wife really liked the blue field on this cover (in the 2 seconds she afforded to spare to satisfy my wanting to show it to her insane.gif)

You can get your wife to look at your funnybooks?

Jack

The names of the characters sure don't seem destined to survive long. tongue.gif

"Alkali Ike"? I wonder what that's about. Do you suppose that he has a sidekick, "Acid Abe"? I have #10 (somewhere -- I should dig it out and index it. Not a single issue of the series indexed at GCD.) but don't recall any information about his name. From "Alkali Flats" in the deserts of the American Southwest, I suppose.

Funny that ACG called the book "Funny Films", suggesting to gullible kids that these were characters from animated cartoons.

Jack, a real playa

Although this may be the first two toed dog I have ever seen

Cloven hooves. It's the Demon Dog!!!

... on a cover.

I'm worried about that qualifier. Where else have you been seeing dogs with cloven hooves?

Just lie back on the couch and speak calmly.

Not that that's a good thing......

Losing one digit saves the cartoonist time. This is one of the next steps.

Jack

maybe it's Sam

...and here's why I was waiting at the Short Bus stop this morning. Fresh off their rave reviews at the 10-cent thread, here are Sergeant Bilko and his sidekick, Private Doberman. (Seems to be a Dog Day.) I'll just copy that post for those of you who don't look at the Silver forum.

Jack

Sergeant Bilko 4, Nov-Dec 1957, from the popular TV show starring Phil Silvers.

Cover (the previous owner knew that a little Vandyke on the colonel would make it funnier)

1789414-SgtBilk4cov.jpg

And a good interior page with an Oksner hot babe secondary character

1789414-SgtBilk4page.jpg

A spin-off, Sgt. Bilko's Pvt. Doberman 8 from Aug-Sept 1959.

Duane Doberman was played by character actor, Maurice Gosfield.

cover:

1789414-SgtBilkDob8cov.jpg

Splash panel with more Oksner girlies. Saturday Night Fever prototype!

1789414-SgtBilkDob8p1.jpg

If this book appeals to anyone, I have a duplicate -- PM me!

Did Fred Hembeck really revive Sgt. Bilko for Marvel in 1988?

The idea that there are 500 of these comics in the series simply scares me. That's one long Short bus.

scan0029.jpg

What should scare you more is the fact there are some who screwy.gif collect Big Boy comics blush.gif Not my cup'o'tea and I've been known to buy crappy books tongue.gif

Posting my favorites from the big batch o' books I just bought, I realized that it's been a long time (been a long lonely, lonely, lonely lonely time...) since I've boarded the Short Bus.

Although there were far worse comic books in the stack (Threshold: Mythic Sirens Pinups limited editions variant cover? So what it was only about 15% of the cover price. It's embarrassing!), this one was the best Short Bus candidate.

Supermouse, the Big Cheese 18, April 1952, Standard/Pines. Unlike kindred spirit Atomic Mouse, who gets his powers from eating uranium-235 (a single isotope. How cool is that?), Supermouse eats Supercheese. Actually Mighty Mouse, who got his powers by eating everything in a Supermarket, was originally Super Mouse, but Paul Terry changed his name to Mighty Mouse when he got wind of the Pines character. Did DC ever litigate against Supermouse's name? Anyway, he was apparently Pines' biggest success.

This lame cover gag sure doesn't explain why. Supermouse is attacking arch-enemy Terrible Tom with -- a grapefruit? And the mouse is far bigger than the cat, and the grapefruit is about as big as the cat? OK, artistic license.

Jack

41743-sm18.jpg

Edited by selegue

Had this been issue # 17, you'd have struck Gold ... but, yeah, you're right, issue # 18 stinks :P:gossip: I still need # 17 and with :wishluck: I'll find it in Chicago.

What about the interior? How are the stories?

Any chance we'd see interiors from the Mythic Sirens Pinups book? ...

Posting my favorites from the big batch o' books I just bought, I realized that it's been a long time (been a long lonely, lonely, lonely lonely time...) since I've boarded the Short Bus.

Although there were far worse comic books in the stack (Threshold: Mythic Sirens Pinups limited editions variant cover? So what it was only about 15% of the cover price. It's embarrassing!), this one was the best Short Bus candidate.

Supermouse, the Big Cheese 18, April 1952, Standard/Pines. Unlike kindred spirit Atomic Mouse, who gets his powers from eating uranium-235 (a single isotope. How cool is that?), Supermouse eats Supercheese. Actually Mighty Mouse, who got his powers by eating everything in a Supermarket, was originally Super Mouse, but Paul Terry changed his name to Mighty Mouse when he got wind of the Pines character. Did DC ever litigate against Supermouse's name? Anyway, he was apparently Pines' biggest success.

This lame cover gag sure doesn't explain why. Supermouse is attacking arch-enemy Terrible Tom with -- a grapefruit? And the mouse is far bigger than the cat, and the grapefruit is about as big as the cat? OK, artistic license.

Jack

41743-sm18.jpg

Maybe this was a popular/recognizable gag from around this time? (shrug)

Like this scene from Public Enemy with Cagney.

41744-grapefruit-james_cagney-mae_clark21a.jpg.e1ebeedf69a80c43dd519057205c0c98.jpg

Supermouse, the Big Cheese 18, April 1952, Standard/Pines. ...

Jack

41743-sm18.jpg

Maybe this was a popular/recognizable gag from around this time? (shrug)

Like this scene from Public Enemy with Cagney.

OK, good comparison but "from around this time" was 20 years earlier!

Jack

Had this been issue # 17, you'd have struck Gold ... but, yeah, you're right, issue # 18 stinks :P:gossip: I still need # 17 and with :wishluck: I'll find it in Chicago.

The seller just had the year listed. Had it been March, it would have been in the mail to you. This title is hard to find???

What about the interior? How are the stories?

Mostly lame gags. I'll see whether I can pick out a highlight later.

Any chance we'd see interiors from the Mythic Sirens Pinups book? ...

Not on these boards without some censoring. On a quick browse (all it will get), I was surprised to see "naughty bits" and couples (mixed and otherwise) caught in the act. Not particularly well-drawn erotica either. I actually bought most of these variants in hopes of trading them for something I'm more interested in. After the great build-up I've given this one, I'm sure it'll go like hotcakes.

Jack

my unpopular book...i found this in a bargain bin for peanuts.

i don't know how this series lasted so long with unfunny stories. the only humorous thing is the title of the paul bunyan story...

if only the cover was related to the stories inside...

j

blondie008.jpg