• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The GA "Short Bus" Thread Post your unpopular books!
2 2

993 posts in this topic

I LOVE Ribtickler!!!

Anyone here surprised? :baiting:

Both of those covers have faux Disney characters -- mutant Minnie Mouse is expecially bizarre. Do the interiors have anything to do with the covers on the issues you've seen? (I'll know soon.)

Jack

I LOVE Ribtickler!!!

Anyone here surprised? :baiting:

Both of those covers have faux Disney characters -- mutant Minnie Mouse is expecially bizarre. Do the interiors have anything to do with the covers on the issues you've seen? (I'll know soon.)

My Ribtickler 8 turned out to be the 1957 reprint from Green Publishing Co., not surprisingly for the price. The cover (sadly) has nothing to do with the interior, which is mostly Noodnik by Frank Roberge.

Jack

Like many of you, I had trouble deciding this week -- should I spend a year or two's income on one comic book at Heritage, or should I see what Short Bus material I can get for less than the cost of lunch? Bidding at Heritage totally slipped my mind, so I ended up shopping at PONS-MART!

Here are a some good catches.

New Funnies 104 Oct-45 Dell, features Andy Panda and other familar Lantz characters.

Here's Bill's cover scan:

newfunnies.jpg

Here's some riotous racial humor from Li'l Eight Ball.

53550-NewComics2.jpg

And a great Raggedy Ann story. I'm gaining more and more respect for that feature!

53551-NewComics1.jpg

More to come.

Jack

Like many of you, I had trouble deciding this week -- should I spend a year or two's income on one comic book at Heritage, or should I see what Short Bus material I can get for less than the cost of lunch? Bidding at Heritage totally slipped my mind, so I ended up shopping at PONS-MART!

Four Color 68 1945 Mother Goose and Nursery Rhyme Comics

This one cost the same as a tip at McDonald's -- gratis!

You'd expect nothing less than great artwork from Walt Kelly, and he delivers!

Cover. Yeah, it's a little rough around the edges.

53552-MotherGoose.jpg

Two pages from the lead story. Sorry about the bad crop on the first one. I love the cannibalistic gingerbread boy!

53553-MotherGoose2.jpg

53554-MotherGoose3.jpg

Jack

...shopping at PONS-MART!

OK, this one cost a few bucks. I could have bought a 3-mm square from a page of Action Comics 7 instead!

Lars of Mars 11 Aug-51 Ziff-Davis. Although it's #11, it's really #2 in that unique Z-D numbering system.

I really wanted it for the wonderful painted molecule cover! Is that Murphy Anderson's work, or did he at least do the layout?

Bill's cover scan:

lars-1.jpg

Unfortunately, there's no matching story inside.

Anderson's interior artwork isn't quite as polished as it would be later for DC, but here's a fun page. Attacking New York from an underground cave in Kentucky! Not one of those inferior overground caves.

53555-LarsKY.jpg

If I have time this weekend, I'll scan some more. Maybe Raccoon Kids, just for shiverbones!

Jack

I really wanted it for the wonderful painted molecule cover! Is that Murphy Anderson's work, or did he at least do the layout?

The cover artist is Allan Anderson (no relation to Murph) who is the subject of a lengthy Illustration Magazine article (highly recommended!). Allan was great friends with Norm Saunders and his work was influenced by that. Not only did he use the same couple as models but Allan also picked up some Saunders-inspired stylistic elements. Both Norm and Allan were regular cover artists for the Ziff-Davis pulps and were pulled into to doing comics work as part of the approach to make ZD stand out in the market place. ZD hired Jerry Siegal as editor who pulled Murphy out of retirement (he had left comics and gone home to work in his father's cab company).

Lars is a drawn similar to the work Murphy did for the Buck Rogers syndicated strip -- the cause of Murphy's disenchantment with comics. The artwork to mine eyes is polished, but suffers a bit from the inking because Murphy was substantially assisted by one of his later DC compatriots, whose name escapes me at the moment. Issue 10 has the better interior art with some killer panels / stories that are clearly of the high quality that Murphy was capable of.

Ziff started most of their titles with issue #10 in an attempt to fool the marketplace that they were already well-established and therefore dime-worthy on the part of the skeptical consumer. Siegel did not last long as his strategy had been to pay top dollar to attract talent but was then unable to deliver on correspondingly impressive sales necessary to justify the payments. Both Siegel and Anderson ended up at DC so it turned out all right for them in the end.

The cover artist is Allan Anderson (no relation to Murph) who is the subject of a lengthy Illustration Magazine article (highly recommended!).

I figured the "other" Z-D cover painter was the likely suspect, but couldn't think of his name. The layout looks to me like Murphy A could have had a hand in it.

Allan was great friends with Norm Saunders and his work was influenced by that. Not only did he use the same couple as models but Allan also picked up some Saunders-inspired stylistic elements. Both Norm and Allan were regular cover artists for the Ziff-Davis pulps and were pulled into to doing comics work as part of the approach to make ZD stand out in the market place. ZD hired Jerry Siegal as editor who pulled Murphy out of retirement (he had left comics and gone home to work in his father's cab company).

Lars is a drawn similar to the work Murphy did for the Buck Rogers syndicated strip -- the cause of Murphy's disenchantment with comics. The artwork to mine eyes is polished, but suffers a bit from the inking because Murphy was substantially assisted by one of his later DC compatriots, whose name escapes me at the moment. Issue 10 has the better interior art with some killer panels / stories that are clearly of the high quality that Murphy was capable of.

Certainly not at the level of MA's Hawkman, Spectre or Golden Age revival Showcase/ B&B.

What a shame to have someone else ink his work, since he was one of DC's best inkers.

Ziff started most of their titles with issue #10 in an attempt to fool the marketplace that they were already well-established and therefore dime-worthy on the part of the skeptical consumer. Siegel did not last long as his strategy had been to pay top dollar to attract talent but was then unable to deliver on correspondingly impressive sales necessary to justify the payments. Both Siegel and Anderson ended up at DC so it turned out all right for them in the end.

GCD shows only 200 issues total. Is that about right?

Thanks for the info.

Jack

Certainly not at the level of MA's Hawkman, Spectre or Golden Age revival Showcase/ B&B.

I like Lars 10 just as much as the the other work you cite. My favorite work of his is probably in some of DC's 1950s Sci Fi comics.

The layout looks to me like Murphy A could have had a hand in it.

I interviewed Murphy specifically about Lars of Mars and his work for ZD -- I have a polaroid pic around somewhere of him holding the Cosmic Aeroplane copy (my first pedigree comic :cloud9: ). He was the one that told me about Allan Anderson and gave him total credit for the cover. I'm a fan of A Anderson's cover art and he was fully capable of the work on the Lars 11 cover which is one of my favorite 50s Sci Fi covers. That reminds me, "why is this in the Short Bus thread?"

What a shame to have someone else ink his work, since he was one of DC's best inkers.

I tried to point out the higher quality work in the 10 vs. the 11 and he refused to bite. Ever the gentlemen, he would only respond that it was a different approach to inking the work.

I'm sure they are better at counting than me. I don't have too many. :sorry:

TwoCompSci1.jpg

TwoCompSci2.jpg

TwoCompSci6.jpg

TwoCompSci7.jpg

I like Lars 10 just as much as the the other work you cite. My favorite work of his is probably in some of DC's 1950s Sci Fi comics.

Yes, you're right about his DC sci-fi work.

I'll have to watch for a Lars 10

The layout looks to me like Murphy A could have had a hand in it.

I interviewed Murphy specifically about Lars of Mars and his work for ZD -- I have a polaroid pic around somewhere of him holding the Cosmic Aeroplane copy (my first pedigree comic :cloud9: ). He was the one that told me about Allan Anderson and gave him total credit for the cover. I'm a fan of A Anderson's cover art and he was fully capable of the work on the Lars 11 cover which is one of my favorite 50s Sci Fi covers.

Let's not let your facts get in the way of my unfounded speculation, Bud!

That reminds me, "why is this in the Short Bus thread?"

1. Because I was posting the other two short-bussers here.

2. Because it's not DC or Marvel superhero, so 94% of CGC board members won't give a flying fig about it.

I tried to point out the higher quality work in the 10 vs. the 11 and he refused to bite. Ever the gentlemen, he would only respond that it was a different approach to inking the work.

I'm sure they are better at counting than me. I don't have too many. :sorry:

TwoCompSci1.jpg

TwoCompSci2.jpg

TwoCompSci6.jpg

TwoCompSci7.jpg

Very nice (hard to go wrong with hot redheads), but those look suspiciously not like comic books, so they wouldn't be in the GCD count.

Z-D has published thousand and thousands of magazines, right?

Jack

Let's not let your facts get in the way of my unfounded speculation, Bud!

I'll try to do better next time. :sorry:

Very nice (hard to go wrong with hot redheads), but those look suspiciously not like comic books, so they wouldn't be in the GCD count.

Figured it might useful to show some of his pulp work and I happened to have those scanned.

Figured it might useful to show some of his pulp work and I happened to have those scanned.

But what are they doing on the Short Bus?

Jack

sauce for the gander

Jack

sauce for the gander

All pulps are short bus material. :kidaround:

Jack

sauce for the gander

:sumo:

Jack

sauce for the gander

I crumbled under the pressure of the intense questioning. :tonofbricks:

Jack

sauce for the gander

I crumbled under the pressure of the intense questioning. :tonofbricks:

Ve are killing ze girl tonight old man........

With today's arrival I really got a good seat in the Short Bus.

Here's my new Will Rogers (Formerly My Great Love) # 5 from June 1950 along with the back cover with a typical Rogers aphorism ... a one still quite à propos so many years later. I'm throwing in as well a scan of a splash page -

53704-WillRogers5.jpg.10c8c5cc8d9641c589f629ed7387ce3f.jpg

53705-WillRogers5BC.jpg.3625e2aed31ddab3abd3cf6852e9354f.jpg

53706-WillRogers5Story2.jpg.16ac819577cddf50a274b55844cb0c7a.jpg

With today's arrival I really got a good seat in the Short Bus.

Here's my new Will Rogers (Formerly My Great Love) # 5 from June 1950 along with the back cover with a typical Rogers aphorism ... a one still quite à propos so many years later. I'm throwing in as well a scan of a splash page -

Very nice -- I figured it as pretty obscure, but it's only a Gerber 5.

"This is a job fer me... not a strange detective!"

Jack