• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OA Question

3 posts in this topic

I see many pages available as OA. Some are just penciled, some are penciled and inked, some are penciled,inked, lettered etc. Are there multiple version at different points of creation out there for each pages? I have been a little leery buying stuff as I'm not sure how it all works.

The cliff notes version:

Back in the day, the art was penciled then inked over the pencil, then the production department pasted on the word balloons with hand lettered text.

With the introduction of computer typesetting, the paste up word balloons are no longer used (this is mostly for modern OA).

Some pencil artists scan the pages and send a "blueline" print to the inkers, thus preserving the pencil art for themselves, thus 2 versions will exist: Pencil and inked over blueline.

Some pencil artists go even further and take the scan of the pencils into photoshop and up the contrast really high, thus making the pencil lines almost as dark as an inked version (see Michale Turner) so there will be only one version, the pencil art.

That is all for now...