• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What next?

14 posts in this topic

Hello all,

Before I go further, I want to say that this is an amazing forum. I have spent hours looking through all the threads when I should be studying. You guys are full of information and I hope I can learn a fraction of it. I am going to begin my epic journey into comic collecting; well at least as far as my spare college money will take me. Immediately I found out that I need to get ahold of the Official Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide to learn and study the conditions of books. Does this seem fine to you guys:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Official-Overstreet-...VQQcmdZViewItem

I know I have to get the second edition because I have read the third is *spoon* and 10.0 should be perfect, no flaws like they were allowing. I have a little stack of comic books that maybe I'll practice on and then post scans to see what they are much closer to. I also saw that you guys suggested collecting what I enjoy and not go out to make money. Well The Mighty Thor is where I will begin. Maybe like eight years ago when I was trick or treating some guy was passing out comic books in Torrance, CA, where I used to live, and he gave me a copy of The Mighty Thor issue 342. I loved it and wanted more. I didn't get more till about 3 years ago. I bought a lot on ebay, maybe like 40 of em for 25 bucks or something. Something about Thor that I just love, maybe its because my grandfathers father came from the land of the Vikings. Now I am a little older, 19, and I have a little more money so I will begin. What are your guy's thoughts of where I should look. I live in downtown LA, at USC, so I would assume that there should be lots of comic book shops. I called about 3 or 4 that were withing 5 miles of me and they all only had Korean comics. Do any of you live near LA that know of a good LCBS? Are there good conventions around here very oftern? Or is it better to use eBay? I have had great experiences with buying through ebay, but I'm not sure how well eBay is for comic books. Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated. And for storage, E Gerber and Bill Cole, is one better than the other? What mill should I get? One last thing, I have become somewhat of a perfectionist. I really pride on things that are in great shape. Are there lots of thor comics out there in great shape? What should I expect to pay for them and again, is eBay the best way to go to start a large run? I know I have asked a lot, but starting off I know nothing really. I can't wait to become part of this forum. Thanks guys.

-Trey

Immediately I found out that I need to get ahold of the Official Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide to learn and study the conditions of books. Does this seem fine to you guys:

Welcome Trey.

The buy price is good, but the shipping is very high. Here's a Campus-i search showing low-to-high prices, including shipping costs:

Overstreet Grading Guide 2nd Ed.

Hello all,

Before I go further, I want to say that this is an amazing forum. I have spent hours looking through all the threads when I should be studying. You guys are full of information and I hope I can learn a fraction of it. I am going to begin my epic journey into comic collecting; well at least as far as my spare college money will take me. Immediately I found out that I need to get ahold of the Official Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide to learn and study the conditions of books. Does this seem fine to you guys:

I know I have to get the second edition because I have read the third is *spoon* and 10.0 should be perfect, no flaws like they were allowing. I have a little stack of comic books that maybe I'll practice on and then post scans to see what they are much closer to. I also saw that you guys suggested collecting what I enjoy and not go out to make money. Well The Mighty Thor is where I will begin. Maybe like eight years ago when I was trick or treating some guy was passing out comic books in Torrance, CA, where I used to live, and he gave me a copy of The Mighty Thor issue 342. I loved it and wanted more. I didn't get more till about 3 years ago. I bought a lot on ebay, maybe like 40 of em for 25 bucks or something. Something about Thor that I just love, maybe its because my grandfathers father came from the land of the Vikings. Now I am a little older, 19, and I have a little more money so I will begin. What are your guy's thoughts of where I should look. I live in downtown LA, at USC, so I would assume that there should be lots of comic book shops. I called about 3 or 4 that were withing 5 miles of me and they all only had Korean comics. Do any of you live near LA that know of a good LCBS? Are there good conventions around here very oftern? Or is it better to use eBay? I have had great experiences with buying through ebay, but I'm not sure how well eBay is for comic books. Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated. And for storage, E Gerber and Bill Cole, is one better than the other? What mill should I get? One last thing, I have become somewhat of a perfectionist. I really pride on things that are in great shape. Are there lots of thor comics out there in great shape? What should I expect to pay for them and again, is eBay the best way to go to start a large run? I know I have asked a lot, but starting off I know nothing really. I can't wait to become part of this forum. Thanks guys.

-Trey

Nice 1st post...Welcome Trey thumbsup2.gif

Is it smart to begin looking for large lots like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marvel-Comics-The-Mi...1QQcmdZViewItem

If you’re looking for high grade books, eBay is probably not the best way to go. In my experience, raw books are rarely in the condition stated. There are some sellers who are good graders, but they are the exception.

However, if you’re willing to roll the dice, nice raw books on eBay can bought cheaply. But unless you know the seller’s grading, you just don’t know what you’re going to get.

If you run a forum search, you can probably find a thread on good eBay sellers. That may point you in a good direction. There are also threads on reputable dealers, many of whom have websites.

For books like those listed in that eBay lot, you can probably do well looking at conventions. Since they’re modern books, you should be able to find them in decent shape at reasonable prices.

As far as the basics...is one brand of mylar better than the other? is the price guide worth getting, or should i get a supscription to a magazine that updates more often? Thanks.

-Trey

As far as price guides go, get a copy of the latest Overstreet. It comes out every April, so you may want to wait for the next edition, but I buy it every other year and get along fine. To supplement Overstreet, use eBay's completed listings function, Heritage's archive, and check out GPA. Ask questions here as you won't find a more knowledgeable group anywhere.

Don't rely on any one of the things I listed though. Use them all together along with your growing knowledge of the market.

Well the first step is on its way...Overstreet 2nd Edition should be on its way in the next few days and my pops is bring the small amount of comic books I have from my house down to me at school. So maybe in the next few weeks I will practice grading them with my overstreet and then post them for you guys to tell me what they actually are smile.gif. Thanks guys for all your pms.

-Trey

So I got my little box of Thor comics down here and I am stoked going through them. I feel bad though, they are sitting in a cardboard box, half of them have backings and half are in pastic that is too big for them. So I want to start off right. If I'm gonna do I might as well do it right. I need to get mylars and backing for these books. The oldest one I have atm is Thor 220 from Feb of 1974, but I want to get the right mylars for all the way back to 1963 for when I get my JIM #83 smile.gif. And I'll need the right ones up til...well now I guess. I think I will be getting vol 2 pretty soon. So what is the cut off for when the sizes change...cause if I remeber correctly there are different size mylars for the different years. Also, do I get mylar 1, 2, some other one...do I get half or full backings? What brand and where is the best online site? Thanks guys again.

-Trey

No thoughts? Some of you guys have to have found brands you like and don't like or places where you get your essentials. As always, everything is greatly appreciated. Dunno if any of you care, but I just looked back in my paypal history to find out what I have spent so far...well after buying 63 books from 220 on up to the first few 400's of Thor at an average of .48 each...i have spent 30.45. That was my mass spending in 2003...but not as a collector. Good thing I have saved so I can at least get some books to pride on smile.gif

Thanks

-Trey