• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC 9.9 HULK #181 "The One and ONLY" is going to San Diego Comic Con!

91 posts in this topic

im still waiting for someone to post "shouldn't these be posted in the marketplace?" blush.gifshocked.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gifgossip.gif

Shouldn't these be posted in the marketplace? Damn new guy.....

This is a forum isn't it?? We are not offering these books for immediate sale but making an announcement that we are bringing them to Comic Con to launch our new sales campaign. Is it not correct to list my announcements in the forum and let everyone know what we are doing??

Bryce

Ideal Collectables

www.ideal808.com

This is a forum isn't it?? We are not offering these books for immediate sale but making an announcement that we are bringing them to Comic Con to launch our new sales campaign. Is it not correct to list my announcements in the forum and let everyone know what we are doing??

Bryce

Ideal Collectables

www.ideal808.com

LMAO!! You get 10 questions regarding your auctions, what other books will be there, people asking you to email them, etc, yet you choose OldGuy's jab (and I'm sure he was trying to be funny) as the ONLY post you respond to??? 893frustrated.gif

They responded to me via email. Told me they're not selling books until S.D., which is very confusing to me.. money is money is it not? Whether it be at S.D. or before it..

Brian

They responded to me via email. Told me they're not selling books until S.D., which is very confusing to me.. money is money is it not? Whether it be at S.D. or before it..

Brian

Believe me Brian, if they have similar asking prices as 2 years ago for the same books, it wouldn't make a difference. Cap 100 CGC 9.8s were priced at $4,800 back then! 893whatthe.gif

Brian

By that logic, why don't you email Heritage and ask them to sell you books early, outside of their auctions?

It's not only about making the sale, but making an appearance as well. SD is the biggest Comic event of the year, and they want to make an impact. It is extremely expensive and difficult to get a table at SD, so it's understandable they want to save their books so that they can pull out all the stops for this event.

However, Ideal Collectibles ISN'T an auction company. They're a business, correct? Do you walk into a Gateway store and expect them to tell you none of their stock is for sale due to an upcoming computer show?

Brian

The auction thing aside, you can't compare computers to comics. Either way, relax, there's nothing to debate here. They want to save their books for display at the con. It's marketing. They've had some of these books for a long time, and could have sold them any time they wanted. I remember seeing a couple of these on their site 2 years ago. But they opted to wait for San Diego, because as he said they're launching a new campaign. The point is, you said "isn't money before the show the same as money after", and my point is it isn't just about the money or making the sale. They would have no trouble finding buyers for these books at any point, but they're going to use them for exposure at the show.

However, Ideal Collectibles ISN'T an auction company. They're a business, correct? Do you walk into a Gateway store and expect them to tell you none of their stock is for sale due to an upcoming computer show?

Brian

Doesn't work that way... Your local Borders had copies of Harry Potter weeks ago, but they weren't for sale until the 21st for the sake of the "event". When a new car is released, you can't just go buy one off the truck while it's on its way to the showroom.

Ideal wants to make an impression on the folks in San Diego by bringing top quality inventory and making it available for sale at the show. They plan their whole year for the event. Do you think the event works as well for them if they show up with half the books and say "Look at these nice books! And oh yeah, we'd some others last week but we already sold them. Look at this pretty scan of this book we don't have anymore..."

The presence of the 9.9 Hulk 181 increases the value of every other book they bring because it brings eyeballs to the table. You don't make a splash in stages... They want their display to be so good that other dealers stop in their tracks to say "Holy [!@#%^&^]!" Then, and only then, do they start selling...

Why would you sell a book before the show, and risk it appearing on someone else's table? Why would you let them steal your thunder? If you want to be known as the dealer with the best stuff, people need to see it on your table first, not someone else's....

Why would you sell a book before the show, and risk it appearing on someone else's table? Why would you let them steal your thunder? If you want to be known as the dealer with the best stuff, people need to see it on your table first, not someone else's

And that's exactly the reason you see some dealers with high end books, charging insanely high prices. They want to keep these books around as a testament to the quality of their inventory, and to show that they deal in some of the best books around. Making sales is all well and good, but being able to showcase very high quality stuff, in impressive quantities, is what's going to make people remember your name.

However, there was a release date intended for the book. Which was put out by the publisher so that the copies weren't sent out intermitantly..

Just to complete the idea I was originally going with.. a comic shop is in the business of selling comics, just like a computer shop is in the business of selling computers.. if a customer comes in and says "well I'd like that computer" and you say "well, it's going to a convention so it's not for sale".. that just doesn't make sense within the idea of what a business is supposed to do.. buy and sell their product. Sure I understand wanting to bring something special to a show, and I'm sure bringing any of that stuff will appeal to someone.. but as I said.. I have ZERO interest in that.. I just want to get a price and scan of some ASM 9.4's which have shown up on eBay a dozen times, which provided with I would most likely purchase them..saving this company the overhead of dragging the books with them.. and then of having to bring them back. Instead I can't get a quote or any idea as to what #'s they have available due to this "will only sell at S.D. phenomena".

Either way, I'm not asking for any of this ultra high grade stuff.. As a matter of fact, I could care less about the 9.8/9.9's he has list, that stuff is of no appeal to me. However, I could understand saving THAT stuff for the show to draw people to a booth b/c they're headliners for some ppl. I was just curious about some run of the mill late Silver stuff.. if the guy is trying to become a headliner with 9.4's of ASM in the 90's and 100's.. he's got another thing coming :\

Anyways, the synopsis.. he loses an online customer here b/c I won't be at San Diego and will probably just move on and forget about this..

Brian

And that's exactly the reason you see some dealers with high end books, charging insanely high prices.

I once worked for a guy who had a World's Finest # 2? (the issue with Superman, Batman and Robin's face are on the cover smiling). He would take it to shows and when folks inquired as to a price he would throw out a six figure number at them. Most had the reaction of 893whatthe.gif. Some thought he was just plain crazy. I don't think many people realized why his price was so high.

Brian

Doesn't work that way... Your local Borders had copies of Harry Potter weeks ago, but they weren't for sale until the 21st for the sake of the "event". When a new car is released, you can't just go buy one off the truck while it's on its way to the showroom.

Ideal wants to make an impression on the folks in San Diego by bringing top quality inventory and making it available for sale at the show. They plan their whole year for the event. Do you think the event works as well for them if they show up with half the books and say "Look at these nice books! And oh yeah, we'd some others last week but we already sold them. Look at this pretty scan of this book we don't have anymore..."

The presence of the 9.9 Hulk 181 increases the value of every other book they bring because it brings eyeballs to the table. You don't make a splash in stages... They want their display to be so good that other dealers stop in their tracks to say "Holy [!@#%^&^]!" Then, and only then, do they start selling...

Why would you sell a book before the show, and risk it appearing on someone else's table? Why would you let them steal your thunder? If you want to be known as the dealer with the best stuff, people need to see it on your table first, not someone else's....

Aloha to All,

First off, I would like to wish everyone a great and happy 4th of July. Hopefully no one burned up too much money setting off fireworks.

Thank you to all that understand our objective of going to Comic Con is to launch our new sales campaign. You guys hit it right on the nose because I couldn't have said it any better myself. Getting a good table at Comic Con is tough enough but the planning and lugging of over 200 CGC books across the Pacific Ocean without cracking a case or two is the real work. But it makes it all worthwhile when other comic enthusiasts like you guys understand and appreciate the detail and hard work we are putting into this big event.

We have been receiving many requests for scans of our books and a list of our inventory. We have scans for majority of the books and they will be available on our website beginning July 16th coinciding with Comic Con. In regards to the 9.9's, we were planning on picking them up from our investors a day or two before leaving for San Diego. Due to the numerous requests to see scans of the 9.9's, we are trying to rearrange our dates to meet with our investors and aquire the books sooner. Because there are different owners for these books, making arrangements to get all of the books is taking some time. We will try to get the scans up as soon as possible for all of you that will not be attending the Comic Con.

Again we appreciate your time and comments. For those of you who will be attending Comic Con, we hope to see you there. For all of you who can't make it, please check out www.ideal808.com on July 16th after 5:30pm PST to see all of the books we have for sale.

Bryce Iwamoto

Ideal Collectables

www.ideal808.com

Yeh, I'll be sure to check it out after everythings been picked over.. mad.gif

Brian

Brian, sounds like you need to get laid. Chill out man - you've been uber-negative the last few days. Seriously, is everything OK?

Yeh, I'll be sure to check it out after everythings been picked over.. mad.gif

Brian

Brian, sounds like you need to get laid. Chill out man - you've been uber-negative the last few days. Seriously, is everything OK?

27_laughing.gif