• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC 9.9 HULK #181 "The One and ONLY" is going to San Diego Comic Con!

91 posts in this topic

You're missing the point. It's NOT all about MONEY. It's a matter of perspective. Say for example you did just win 130 million dollars. What's 60K to you? Especially if you're looking to buy and never sell it again. The odds of another 9.9 or 10 coming up for sale on the open market anytime soon are very much against you even IF(big IF) one gets graded that high. If he just wants to OWN the book, having NO interest in investment value then I don't see how other people can make a judgement about how he chooses to spend his money.

I agree with Clobber here in that when you get into the realm of super high grade comics, its is incredibly naive to think that money is not a factor. The fact that the owner of this book is showcasing it and 'possibly' touting it for sale confirms this for me. If he just wanted to OWN the book, then there would be no need for all this 'parading' of the book. Basically showing off his wares to the collecting communtiy.

'Mines bigger than yours'. tongue.gifmakepoint.gif

Ditto for me to all you said, ClobberinTime!!

All these other arguments make sense too, even LordRahls, but from very limited, strained, perspectives. Saying that perhaps the buyer was the recent lottery winner who might like comics and would buy it in a minute is just silly. That's arguing on a (literally) one-in-a-10 million chance.

If I owned the book, Id probably keep it since its so valuable and in demand out of pure ego....and Id be sorry a few years from now!! And with a 60K offer in hand, Id only be convinced(!) that it was therefore worth more!!! Much more (as the owner apparently also does right now!)

But what I SHOULD do, is take the money and run NOW, rather than be sorry later. The rapid rise in value for this comics defies ALL reality and parallels other "investment" trends that end badly! ...and is definitely not going to last.

no way. no matter how you argue it.

You're missing the point. It's NOT all about MONEY. It's a matter of perspective. Say for example you did just win 130 million dollars. What's 60K to you? Especially if you're looking to buy and never sell it again. The odds of another 9.9 or 10 coming up for sale on the open market anytime soon are very much against you even IF(big IF) one gets graded that high. If he just wants to OWN the book, having NO interest in investment value then I don't see how other people can make a judgement about how he chooses to spend his money.

I agree with Clobber here in that when you get into the realm of super high grade comics, its is incredibly naive to think that money is not a factor. The fact that the owner of this book is showcasing it and 'possibly' touting it for sale confirms this for me. If he just wanted to OWN the book, then there would be no need for all this 'parading' of the book. Basically showing off his wares to the collecting communtiy.

'Mines bigger than yours'. tongue.gifmakepoint.gif

He's showcasing it thru Ideal to get definitely more than $60K for it. I don't know where it came across as the owner wouldn't sell. He's just trying to get the best price for it. And OBVIOUSLY, $60K is not enough.

He's just trying to get the best price for it. And OBVIOUSLY, $60K is not enough.

okay, but thats the absurdity! Why isnt 60K enough? It SHOULD be a grand slam game-winning homerun!! Though, as I admitted, I probably would hold out for more too! But I'd be wrong...and sorry.

All these other arguments make sense too, even LordRahls, but from very limited, strained, perspectives. Saying that perhaps the buyer was the recent lottery winner who might like comics and would buy it in a minute is just silly. That's arguing on a (literally) one-in-a-10 million chance.

You're reading too much into it, aman - my argument of bringing in the 'lottery winner" scenario was just to illustrate that in general, we don't know the exact motiviations or financial situation of the buyers out there. OK. Here's another example, borrowing from clobberintime...what if a comic lovin celebrity wanted the 9.9 Hulk 181 - let's say Seth Green , who is possibly crazy enough to do it, decides to get the best Hulk 181 out there for himself and can afford to match the seller's price. It may not be this exact situation, but speaking for the seller, I'd hold out for a situation LIKE (similar to...) the "celebrity buyer" or "lottery winning comic fan" rather than just selling to the first $60K that came along. Also since he got multiple offers that were close to each other, he knows he possibly has more where those came from and want to drive up competition. In this case it IS all about the $$$ and how high his profit is.

He's just trying to get the best price for it. And OBVIOUSLY, $60K is not enough.

okay, but thats the absurdity! Why isnt 60K enough? It SHOULD be a grand slam game-winning homerun!! Though, as I admitted, I probably would hold out for more too! But I'd be wrong...and sorry.

Maybe for you or me that would be good enough...have to ask the seller his motives. Would you DEFINITELY be wrong for holding out for more? There is no DEFINITE answer. Only time can tell and hindsight would provide the best perspective. Too bad no one can predict the future.

Only time can tell and hindsight would provide the best perspective. Too bad no one can predict the future.

It seems to always come down to this....and I agree. Time will tell. Maybe these ARE the new price ranges for these books that sold for $1000 all of 3 years ago, and now will go for between 60K and 100K this summer.

Im all for holding out for the very tippy top-of-the-market best offer. But the seller and even more so, the next buyer risks timing the market wrong. Do we agree on that? Can we have a truce here?

(sorry couldnt resist...nothing personal Pangea) insane.gifinsane.gif

Only time can tell and hindsight would provide the best perspective. Too bad no one can predict the future.

It seems to always come down to this....and I agree. Time will tell. Maybe these ARE the new price ranges for these books that sold for $1000 all of 3 years ago, and now will go for between 60K and 100K this summer.

Im all for holding out for the very tippy top-of-the-market best offer. But the seller and even more so, the next buyer risks timing the market wrong. Do we agree on that? Can we have a truce here?

(sorry couldnt resist...nothing personal Pangea) insane.gifinsane.gif

No truce for you! I have yet to break down your posts line by line. Your statemnt about timing holds true in cases where the buyer is buying only to flip a month or two down the road and it all breaks down into a game of hot potato. However, if people think that today's bronnze will appreciate like yesteday's silver....

Would you people please pay attention to what is actually being posted as opposed to what is easiest to argue against. Aman, my argument wasn't even an argument, it was a hypothetical scenario. All I was trying to illustarate is that noone knows the situation. My original point was that people on this board were being judgemental and critical of someones desire to pay $60K for a Hulk 181 without actually knowing the buyers' motivation or situation. The lotto winner example was just rhetorical. Forget it, it really doesn't matter. There are countless different scenarios that would allow for this person to pay that much money for a Hulk 181. If anyone has any salient arguments against my original point please offer them. I don't see how you would unless you have first hand knowledge of the prospective buyers' intentions though. I think you guys just like to argue so when you come across a point that really can't be argued against you pick out meaningless points to argue. Clobberin, notice that I never said that paying $60K was a good investment or business decision. Yes, yes I know rich people didn't get that way by throwing money away. So you're telling me that wearing $10K suits isn't throwing money away when you can get a perfectly good suit for a few hundred dollars? Those darn Ferraris and Lamborghinis sure look nice but considering that the speed limit in this country is 65, why not buy a Toyota for $100K less. I guarantee you that the Hulk 181 at $60K is a better investment than a brand new Ferrari.

People have actually have $60K to spend on a Hulk 181 9.9 actually DO have money! So if some rich guy that has nothing else to do with his millions wants to spend it on a 181 9.9..then let him. You guys have to understand that this book is a freak of nature,no matter how many are out there,people want them.

Hulk 181 does in fact seem to be a good investment,it has a proven track record.Spending thousands on cars (unless rare) suits and other expensive throw away items is throwing money away,Someone goes out and buys a 100K Porcshe,and unless that car stays in showroom condition with 0 miles on it,the value drops.Me personally i'd rather spend my 60K elsewhere on another book,but some people just have to have this one in 9.9! He's not buying a label at 60K for the 9.9 grade,I've seen books that are 9.9 and they are totaly flawless,The corners are so razor sharp,and the spine has NOTHING wrong with it. Can I tell the differance between a 9.8 and a 9.9 side by side? Yes I can. The guy who has to spend 100K to get this in 9.9...I send him my support. 893applaud-thumb.gif