• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC 9.9 HULK #181 "The One and ONLY" is going to San Diego Comic Con!

91 posts in this topic

Yes, yes I know rich people didn't get that way by throwing money away. So you're telling me that wearing $10K suits isn't throwing money away when you can get a perfectly good suit for a few hundred dollars? Those darn Ferraris and Lamborghinis sure look nice but considering that the speed limit in this country is 65, why not buy a Toyota for $100K less. I guarantee you that the Hulk 181 at $60K is a better investment than a brand new Ferrari.

I can't believe I'm again siding with Clobberin', but I echo his comments. I have known deca-millionaires, centi-millionaires and have even advised 2 billionaires on M&A deals in my professional life...when you're that rich, you don't need to show off your wealth...most of these guys wore off-the-rack clothing and functional, relatively inexpensive watches. More often than not, it's the wannabes who are the ones stretching their credit and draining their bank accounts to reach for the high-priced status items...while no one knows for sure, I suspect that the potential buyers of the Hulk 181 9.9 come from the latter category. The truly rich, I have found from my experience, prefer to be known as "smart" more than "rich"...and paying $100K for a Hulk 181 CGC 9.9 is not going to win you any points that department.

But to address your original point - here's the main flaw with your argument. Basically, it's that by your logic, any price can be justified as "not stupid" if there are enough zeros in the buyer's bank account. Let's say Bill Gates wanted the book and paid $250 MILLION for it. Let's say owning the book gave him a tiny bit of satisfaction and we all know that he could drop a quarter-billion dollars and not even blink. Does that make it a smart purchase if he never intends to sell it and he enjoys it(of course, it couldn't possibly be a good investment unless he knew Larry Ellison would pay $300 million for it)? If not, why not? Is it because of what all the other stuff $250 million could do? Well, for the mere mortals not in Bill Gates's league, $60K or $100K also represents a lot of untapped possibilities...

Gene

Hey Gene. You know how you're not a big fan of extrapolating linearly into the future when it comes to the comic book market? Aren't you kind of doing that with the 250 million thing. I don't think it's a valid argument because there are comic books sold for $60K or more. This particular buyers' choice is a Hulk 181 CGC9.9. For someone else it might be an Amazing Fantasy 15 9.4 or an Action 1 in VG. Are you really so sure that 10 or 20 years from now the AF or Action will be a better buy. It might be, it might not. There are no comic books sold for 250 million yet. As for rich people that don't spend lavish amounts on trivial things. Sure there are people like that, but there are also the ones that do throw money around. There are no absolutes. If you're telling me that every Ferrari I see around here is owned by some poor sap that has no money and bought it on credit, no offense but you're smoking crack.

If you're telling me that every Ferrari I see around here is owned by some poor sap that has no money and bought it on credit, no offense but you're smoking crack.

But when was the last time you saw a Ferrari anyway?? (Unless you live in Beverly Hills where oneupsmanship is everything. I mean, If everyone can afford a Mercedes S-600, there are only Bentleys and Rolls's left to buy to impress with.

NOBODY buys a Ferrari to drive around town or get stuck in freeway traffic. But this whole guessing how these billionaires think is pur eguesswork Some are spendthrifts...others are showoffs. One thing I do know----none of em have any interest in this Hulk#181 !!!

NOBODY buys a Ferrari to drive around town or get stuck in freeway traffic. But this whole guessing how these billionaires think is pur eguesswork Some are spendthrifts...others are showoffs. One thing I do know----none of em have any interest in this Hulk#181 !!!

Thanks God!!!! I have a chance at the Hulk 181 CGC 9.9 White Pages

Davidking623 27_laughing.gif

But when was the last time you saw a Ferrari anyway??

I see them on a fairly regular basis actually. I live in Silicon Valley. Although it's a far cry from what it was a few years ago there are still a lot of well off people around here. Not counting the fact that my girlfriends' bro owns one.

I do think it is insane to give up a set of hulk 180-182 in 9.8 for a 181 in 9.9...but as far as the cash offer, well...if I had hundreds of thousands to burn (and I do mean to burn, money I would just end up leaving to my cat in my will...that type of money, not money set aside for investments, etc.)---then I could see myself dropping 60-75 K for this book to be hung on the wall of my mini-mansion (because I would think you must own a hella-nice house if you can casually drop 60K on ONE relatively modern comic).

I just thought of something, they should practically hire armed guards to make sure some insufficiently_thoughtful_person does not damage the books/steal them. I am being flip, because I suspect someone with a hulk 181 9.9 in their hands is not going to let such a book receive a five-finger discount laugh.gifsmile.gif

I just thought of something, they should practically hire armed guards to make sure some insufficiently_thoughtful_person does not damage the books/steal them. I am being flip, because I suspect someone with a hulk 181 9.9 in their hands is not going to let such a book receive a five-finger discount laugh.gifsmile.gif

I hear they are employing a Scanners type neck device if you want to see the Hulk 181 CGC 9.9. If you walk away too far from the booth, it could be one helluva mess! wink.gif

I do think it is insane to give up a set of hulk 180-182 in 9.8 for a 181 in 9.9...but as far as the cash offer, well...if I had hundreds of thousands to burn (and I do mean to burn, money I would just end up leaving to my cat in my will...that type of money, not money set aside for investments, etc.)---then I could see myself dropping 60-75 K for this book to be hung on the wall of my mini-mansion (because I would think you must own a hella-nice house if you can casually drop 60K on ONE relatively modern comic).

I dont really want to have that book on my wall, Im being honost.I want to put it in my walk in vault where no one can see me looking at this beautful book as I dont need it for any other reason then to make me Happy!! I would not consider it a investment of any kind it really is to unique to be one.

Davidking623 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Oh of course in the will I would have it willed to bronzebruce13

Enough said if Im that rich I would obviously have my family taken care of by then and would want it in a true collectors hand,with no attachment to it other than the beauty of it.