• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Philly Show....

8 posts in this topic

To elaborate more on my rating of "terrible" to the show, here's the problem:

1) few dealers with quality product. Even the dollar guys were low quality, with poor looking displays and lack of professional set up.

2) Missing dealers. Al Stoltz didn't set up (though he did come). Jeff Weaver has been busy with his "real" job. Gene Carpentar was down in Charlotte. Koop was presumably in Texas. You have all those guys missing and what you've got are some spotty dealers.

3) The show had lousy attendence. Now, even though the Eagles were a 1 PM start, you would think people would have come out. Lousy weather, people with little else to do, come indoors. I was out shopping later in the day in Jersey and people were out in droves. So... it wasn't that people didn't want to come.

Generally, it was a lackluster inventory. Marc Nathan had some nice stuff, but a lot of it was mid grade and that just didn't interest me. Also, I was almost looking more for DCs. Gary Platt had some new stuff, some nice DC war books etc., but I just couldn't find much. The comic book shop in Delaware had two books I picked a JIM 120 and a SS #11 -- but I could have easily passed on them as well.

But overall, this show is getting to the point where unless they held it in Center City, it's going to eventually go away -- and I say that because right now, I see less attendence, and even if you have money, it's getting harder to even spend it anywhere.

Caught a bunch of restored books at a number of smaller dealers who acted genuinely surprised that they had color touched books.