• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone else noticed this swipe?

12 posts in this topic

Exhibit A, July 1967:

ASM_50.jpg

Exhibit B, November 1967:

superman201.jpg

(insert picture of shocked-looking owl with the caption "NO WAI"). Yes, wai. That's so blatant that I'm amazed I've never seen it pointed out before. Perhaps that has something to do with late-60s Superman being in such low demand...I think today was the first time I've ever seen that cover. Anyway, just thought I'd share...

Swipe or not (could be, but I never thought of it before) I really like this cover, it stands out compare to a few issues before or after it. Here's a fact for you:

Superman 201 has a whopping 4 books on census:

2 - 9.2

1- 6.5

1 - 4.0

compared to 202 with 18, 203 with 10 and 204 with 12.

The Spider Man 50 has 801 graded copies with the top grade being a 9.8!

Of coarse none of that really means anything due to the significance of the Spider-Man issue...but I will tell you that Superman 201 in nice shape (VF or better) is more diffuclt to find than Spidey 50's in 9.4 or above!

I don't know, I see plenty of Superman 201s and I think I own a couple. Sure, they're not in great shape, true.

The book is not hard to find, I just guess people didn't take care of them as well as the Marvels.

(Of course, we say that, but I remember back in about 1993 or so going to the Philly Wizardcon and picking up a bunch of VF or better DCs from that era -- Superman, Action, World's Finest, Batman, Jimmy Olsen, etc.. They weren't hard to find and most ran me $1-$4 each. I'll go dig them up. I wouldn't be so cavalier as to call them NM, but there were plenty of them sitting unwanted back then.)

Do these non-key DCs get any sort of premium for being 8.0 - 9.4 in slabs? If not, many don't guide for enough to justify the $25-$35 grading fee unless the submitter thinks there's a shot at 9.6, no? I remember picking up a lot of nice 8.0 - 9.2 DCs from the mid/late 60s at a Wizard Philly show back in 1993. (Of course, due to lousy storage conditions they're probably 7.0 - 8.5s now) Seemed like there were plenty available back then and nobody was interested. Got them mostly for $1-$4.

Do these non-key DCs get any sort of premium for being 8.0 - 9.4 in slabs? If not, many don't guide for enough to justify the $25-$35 grading fee unless the submitter thinks there's a shot at 9.6, no? I remember picking up a lot of nice 8.0 - 9.2 DCs from the mid/late 60s at a Wizard Philly show back in 1993. (Of course, due to lousy storage conditions they're probably 7.0 - 8.5s now) Seemed like there were plenty available back then and nobody was interested. Got them mostly for $1-$4.

Yes, DC's get a premium at higher grades. Check GPA for silverage Superman issues. I have seen several copies of 215 and 216 sell for high amounts in 9.4. Below 9.4 not so much. Jimmy Olsen, Superboy and Lois Lane don't have the draw like Action and Superman.

Is Superman 201 rare? No. Neither is GL 76, or HOM 175, but like those two books Superman 201 is very difficult to find in high grade. It doesn't have any significance to it, so the demand for that book is low enough that there isn't any "attention" paid to it.

I don't believe any of those covers are swipes. The image of a character "walking away" from his other identity is just a standard visual metaphor - a cliche, if you like, but one that always works. (They're all strong covers.)