• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-Golden Age (1933-38) - The Birth of the Modern Comic Book

233 posts in this topic

Most people consider the first appearance of Superman in Action #1 to be the beginning of the Golden Age of comic books and clearly that was a defining moment in comic history. But the modern comic book magazine format was born five years earlier. Everyone knows the standard story about how Max Gaines in 1933 folded a newspaper comic tabloid in half. etc. inspiring Funnies on Parade, A Carnival of Comics, Famous Funnies Series 1, and finally the monthly Famous Funnies in 1934, all strip reprints. The next year, Major Wheeler-Nicholson, inspired by the British Comic Cuts came out with an original material comicmagazine New Fun. In 1936, the succes of Famous Funnies led the major newpaper strip syndicates like King Features, NEA and UFS to get in on the action with King Comics, Tip Top, Popular Comics and the Funnies.

Today we know that there is more to that picture. In 1929 George Delacorte and Eastern collaborted on a newstand comic tabloid, the Funnies. In early 1933 Eastern produced a series of comic tabloids for several oil companies prior to Funnies on Parade. And about the same time a small publisher in Chicago named Humor produced at least three original comic books Detective Dan, Ace King and Bob Scully, which would inspire a young Siegel and Schuster.

Throughout this period the strip reprint books dominated the market. It's funny now as original comic books from this period like New/More Fun, Wow, New Adventure, early 'Tecs, etc. are far more desirable to most collectors than the reprint books, but at the time they were the equivilent of straight-to-video movies. They were at best potential springboards for struggling young creators trying to get into the newspaper strips were the real action (and $$$) was. It was Action #1 that demonstrated that original comic books could be successful.

The period from 1933 (1929?) to 1938 doesn't get as much attention as it once did, but I've become very interested in this early phase of the modern comic book and I'd like to explore it more in this thread. I'd like to see some of these great early books. So post your Famous Funnies, New Fun, King Comics, Ace, Tip Top, Detective Picture Stories and any others from this period! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I wish I had a bunch of great early books to start things out, but alas, I only own one book from this period (so far cool.gif). It's low grade and I've posted it before, but it'll have to do. First "real" Tarzan cover from 1936:

tiptop003ps9.jpg

Bless you for starting this thread theagnes. I love this era of comics. I used to chase it down with fervor. But, alas, many years ago I sold all of my pre-hero comics.

I am just now starting to re-collect them.

I always attributed the start of the "golden age" to Detective Comics #1. As for many years it was considered the first comic of a single theme with original material. And it was the comic that launched DC as a moniker for National.

However, I always attributed the origins of the modern comic book back to the Easter Color books. That is where I started collecting..Famous Funnies. I was fortunate to get a complete run of Popular and Super all at one time. The Tarzan cover Tip Tops and Sparklers on are on my want list now too.

Later I learned about the Detective Dan's of the world and was very excited about them as well.

Still the Tec #1 holds a VERY special place in my heart, although I know some of the comics like DD that have come out have removed some of the lustre from it. But not entirely in my view. Tec spanned 70 years, not many comics can say that can they?

Tec1.jpg

Bless you for starting this thread theagnes. I love this era of comics. I used to chase it down with fervor. But, alas, many years ago I sold all of my pre-hero comics.

I am just now starting to re-collect them.

I always attributed the start of the "golden age" to Detective Comics #1. As for many years it was considered the first comic of a single theme with original material. And it was the comic that launched DC as a moniker for National.

However, I always attributed the origins of the modern comic book back to the Easter Color books. That is where I started collecting..Famous Funnies. I was fortunate to get a complete run of Popular and Super all at one time. The Tarzan cover Tip Tops and Sparklers on are on my want list now too.

Later I learned about the Detective Dan's of the world and was very excited about them as well.

Still the Tec #1 holds a VERY special place in my heart, although I know some of the comics like DD that have come out have removed some of the lustre from it. But not entirely in my view. Tec spanned 70 years, not many comics can say that can they?

Tec1.jpg

That's what I'm talking about! hail.gif

Congrats on aquiring it. Very cool of CentaurMan to free up his hoard. 893applaud-thumb.gif

It was unbelievably cool of Win to do that. He is a very cool dude. Now I need to wiggle a few more books out of him.

poke2.gif

That's Win's old book? I read that book at the 2005 Chicago Forum Dinner.

BTW - if you are coming to Chicago, you need to go to the dinner. August 11, 2007. Gibsons.

Not that I ever mind seeing this era of books, but this thread existed already (although it got sidetracked with the posting of earlier books). gossip.gif

Revel in History - Post your Platinums Here!!!!

Yeah, I know, but I think after the first page or two, people didn't read your parameters in the first post and just saw the word "Platinum" in the title. Next thing you know it was a Cupples & Leon-fest. Those are cool books, but I was really interested in your original intention for that thread, so I thought I'd try again, this time carefully avoiding the word Platinum. So come on, Mark, I know you have some great books from this period -- let's see some! flowerred.gif

It was unbelievably cool of Win to do that. He is a very cool dude. Now I need to wiggle a few more books out of him.

poke2.gif

That's Win's old book? I read that book at the 2005 Chicago Forum Dinner.

Actually, NewForce picked up that copy. Ciorac's got my other restored 'Tec 1 which I bought from Geppi a while back, and it's actually a bit nicer than the one you read at the dinner (better page quality), although they're both clearly very nice (6.0 or better). I finally got a solid unrestored copy (a long-time goal of mine), so I decided to move the others.

As for this thread, my primary contribution would be early King Comics (I've got #1-#12, minus #7). Without posting all of them again, here's #1 and one of my favorite covers, #4

kingcomics1.jpg

kingcomics4.jpg

Not that I ever mind seeing this era of books, but this thread existed already (although it got sidetracked with the posting of earlier books). gossip.gif

Revel in History - Post your Platinums Here!!!!

Yeah, I know, but I think after the first page or two, people didn't read your parameters in the first post and just saw the word "Platinum" in the title. Next thing you know it was a Cupples & Leon-fest. Those are cool books, but I was really interested in your original intention for that thread, so I thought I'd try again, this time carefully avoiding the word Platinum. So come on, Mark, I know you have some great books from this period -- let's see some! flowerred.gif

Fair enough!

FamousFunnies.jpg

Strangeasitseems.jpg

NewBookofComics1.jpg

CircusComicRiot1.jpg

Comics2.jpg

NewComics9.jpgNewComics10.jpg

Awesome books! I've never seen the Circus book before. I don't suppose you have New Fun #3 do you? I would love to see a close pic of it. As near as I can tell it seems to be the first comic with a Sci-Fi cover -- can anyone confirm that?

Mark, I just wanted to further clarify my reasons for starting this thread so there's no hard feelings. As the OO thread was breathing its last, Bill, Steve and I were discussing Steve's Humor books. Bill suggested that we let the OO thread die, start a pre-GA thread and move the conversation there. That was really why I started this thread -- I wasn't trying to rip-off your thread idea or steal your thunder, but the original premise of your Platinum thread was definately my inspiration.

Of monumental historical importance and key in modern comic book developement is this book...IMO THE single most important comic book of this entire 5 year time period (pre Action #1). This claim is not because I have a copy....I have a copy because of the claim. These images are from the "The Superman" thread from a few months back, and are worthy of posting again in this thread.

Detective Dan Secret Operative No.48 holds the following distinctions:

1. 1st comic with original art

1. 1st comic of a single theme

1. 1st appearance of Wu Fang

1. 1st newsstand comic book ( arguably - this is not universally agreed upon )

1. 1st comic book to influence Siegel and Shuster for the conversion of Superman into a comic book good character from his evil Fanzine character debut.

1489714-humor-set001%282%29.jpg

1489714-dan-rear.jpg

1489714-daninterioir.jpg

1489714-dan-wu.jpg

1489714-dan-wu.jpg.17f3ff228dc921846f3962d7905c0466.jpg

Of monumental historical importance and key in modern comic book developement is this book...IMO THE single most important comic book of this entire 5 year time period. This claim is not because I have a copy....I have a copy because of the claim. These images are from the "The Superman" thread from a few months back, and are worthy of posting again in this thread.

1. 1st comic book to influence Siegel and Shuster for the conversion of Superman into a comic book good character from his evil Fanzine character debut.

Compelling arguments to be sure. And you know it is now on my want list, in a big way!

The only thing keeping it from being a major key in my opinion is that the series didn't continue like Detective did, or New/More Fun, New Comics/New Adventure/Adventure.

Those cousins of DD had an impact from their outset and then continued to influence the industry for decades to come.

Of monumental historical importance and key in modern comic book developement is this book...IMO THE single most important comic book of this entire 5 year time period. This claim is not because I have a copy....I have a copy because of the claim. These images are from the "The Superman" thread from a few months back, and are worthy of posting again in this thread.

Compelling arguments to be sure. And you know it is now on my want list, in a big way!

The only thing keeping it from being a major key in my opinion is that the series didn't continue like Detective did, or New/More Fun, New Comics/New Adventure/Adventure.

Those cousins of DD had an impact from their outset and then continued to influence the industry for decades to come.

agreed....the fact that it is a one-shot has definatley kept Detective Dan's wide spread appeal somewhat limited compared to the 1st issue of a long, popular run...like your Detective #1 wink.gif