• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Josh Medors JLA commission

8 posts in this topic

Thanks Felix and Mike. I agree, his work is top notch. No one else is really in that league when it comes to his inking. I had another piece from him that was just incredible and there was not one mistake on it ! - The inking looked like it was done by machine....just stunning....

But the whole experiance was so frustrating....I don't know, I would love another piece, but I have my doubts....

thanks Chris. I was going to email you privately, I just got busy at work after I posted it.....

and as far as angst, it was not a pleasant experience, that's for sure....But it's a catch 22 in some ways....I mean, he's so friggin' talented and I don't know if there is another artist that inks in this style. I would like to get another couple of commissions done, but not really sure who can do it like I would hope....and in a decent turnaround. Drop me a pm if you have any suggestions and I will let you know what the ideas are and maybe you can point me in the right direction....

It's a gorgeous piece, absolutely.

Because I collect only published artwork -- or artwork that was intended for publication -- I'm a little vague on why people seek out commissioned pieces. I'm driven to seek out pieces that I've seen and admired; that doesn't happen commissioned artwork.

That said, I'd leap through fire for comix4fun's Bolland/Joker commission. My only self-justification for that is: It should have been a cover. It's a knock-out.

This Medors' piece is sweet. And I've already drooled over the Bolland/Joker trophy wall page. Still, once they have your check in hand, do all artists deliver on this scale? If somebody here could give me their perspective on why they pay the big bucks...and wait long months...for a piece that's drawn to order, I'd appreciate it.

That said, I'd leap through fire for comix4fun's Bolland/Joker commission.

Thanks Hal, very nice of you to say.

What I went through to get it felt like that from time to time.

My only self-justification for that is: It should have been a cover. It's a knock-out.

893crossfingers-thumb.gif With a little luck.....

Still, once they have your check in hand, do all artists deliver on this scale?

Bolland was paid upfront for his work for me....he is such a perfectionist that he demands much more of himself than I ever could.

Some artists can be trusted to work hard and do their best even if they are pre-paid.

Others need the carrot and stick of not getting paid or only getting a deposit to help them keep a schedule or follow the plan. It is a case by case basis to be sure.

If somebody here could give me their perspective on why they pay the big bucks...and wait long months...for a piece that's drawn to order, I'd appreciate it.

In the case of Bolland he has worked exclusively on the computer since 1998. There have been no new originals on paper since that time, and the last commission he did was 3-4 years before that and nothing on the cover-quality scale. If I wanted a cover quality piece I had to either choose what was out there and available or find a way to have Brian create one for me. In retrospect, the Joker piece he created for me was far less expensive than the Joker Who's Who Cover that I picked up this summer.

To me Bolland is an artistic legend in the field we all love so much, I waited a good 5 years before he finally agreed to do this commission. I had asked, through his rep, multiple times over that time period and was shot down each time. When I was able to reach out to him in a different way and he finally agreed and liked my idea (I think the idea was very important to him, he had to like what he was working on).

With the other artists I have commissioned, as well as Bolland, they are artists that I respect and admire. When you commission a piece from them you get a chance to collaborate with them, to create with them, and to have them create a piece that is unique and special in that it was created for you by someone that you respect enough to seek them out.

To me it is alot like what it must have been like to be a patron of a rennaissance painter. To allow these gifted folks to use their skills and in the process reward them for all the joy they have given you as a fan over the years. I feel like I am not just paying for the commission, I am also expressing my admiration and gratitude at the same time for years of great experiences in comics. hail.gif

Chris

www.hulk-smash.com