• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mylars...+ or -

10 posts in this topic

So I stopped by a local comic book shop that was suggested to me, The Golden Apple, and I was pretty impressed. They had a bunch of stuff. Browsed through the 5 for a $1 bin and picked out some books that looked kinda neat, just to get a taste of this whole new wolrd I have been neglected from. When I spoke with one of the employees, I asked how they thought I should store my comic books. I said that I was new into the field and wasn't too sure. He took me over to where they had supplies and said this is perfect. Pulled out a generic bag filled with 100 sheets of plastic. He conitinued to show me the cardboard backing and said that those two would be fine. When I asked him about E Gerber mylites like you guys suggested, he said that people don't like them because they are too expensive and the boards don't fit well with them. I told him that I was planning on getting pretty involved in comics and that I really like my things kept as perfect as possible and I like having everything the same. In other words, I don't want to buy mediocre bags now and then in a year when I am buying more expensive books to switch to E Gerber. So now I come back to you ladies and gents. E Gerber, + or -. Should I go big now and not regret it later? If so, gimme some thoughts on which to use. Do I go with mylites1, mylites2...i think 4 is overkill on what I have. Boards, do I get half or full? I think I found that comicsupply.com was the cheapest place to get them, if it isn't I am open for dirrection. ATM, I have about 80 Thor from the late 220s up til early 410s. There are three different sizes that they have, what ones will suit what I got? Thanks guys and girls. As always, I really appreciate your thougths. You have taught me a lot already.

-Trey

*using Dana Carvey old man voice*

"Buy me that useless piece of plastic!"

thumbsup2.gif

I don't know why I thought of that... sorry.

My suggestions to you is, buy the best that you can afford. Plan and simple. If you can afford to buy the best Mylars now, then do it. If not, buy something more within your budget.

I use bags and boards for the majority of my comics. Storage conditions are more than just bags and boards. Cool dark place, good box, bag and board and most comics will stay minty fresh for years.

For better books I use mylites (only a few) or mylars if they're golden age or above about $40 to $50.

I have a large portion of my Conan run in the Mylite+ (thicker than a Mylite, but less than a Mylite2) and a Fullback. The Fullback adds a lot rigidity to the book, and the Mylite+ feels less flimsy than a regular Mylite IMO. I have my early books and everything over $20 in a Mylite2/Fullback combo.

The "regular" size bags and boards works for me; lets a little room on each side without being too lose or snug. I also have microchamber paper in every book I own, with more importance placed on those before the late 1980's due to the differences in paper. If you plan on keeping them for several years, I think it's a must.

That's just my opinion. Some people go to the lengths I do, some don't. Bottom line is, they're your books, put them in something you're comfortable with now and in the future.

If you want to remain consistent, that's great, but can be expensive, especially if you want to buy mylites and mylars.

They are a fantastic product, so don't worry about that part. Far more superior than the regular bags and boards that the guy at your LCS will try to sell you.

I have bought already and plan to have my whole collection in Mylite2's with Full Back boards. I may go the extra step for the Mylars for my best books.

Can someone tell me more about the microchamber paper? confused-smiley-013.gif

Thanks,

Andy

I use Archives and Fullbacks exclusively. My collection (small as it is) consists of Silver and early Bronze. So most books I buy are in the $10 and up range. It is a little more expensive to buy Archives and Fullbacks, but I love the ease of getting to the book plus the rigidity that the Fullback provides. Only thing is on storage is that with the Silver/Gold size Archives, I have to use Magazine size boxes to accomidate the extra width of the Archives.

You said you ran across comicsupply.com. Russ is a great guy to deal with and the service and shipping times are unbelievable!

Arex