• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Refuse to grade

13 posts in this topic

I just got a few books returned today from CGC. One of the books was not slabbed, it also had a sticker that was marked overhang. Does anyone know what this means? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I believe it means something about the sizing of the book would have prevented it from fitting correctly in the slab without damage occurring. What's up with the copy?

I've only had them refuse to grade a book once... that was a Crime Suspenstories 22 that had tan pages but the cover edges were brittle... Shame too, as the colors were gorgeous... Book just got too hot for too long...

I'm guessing FF is right... that the overhang would cause deterioration in the slab...

Of course you could always avoid that problem by trimming it first... Just a thought... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I could see if it looked like the book was noticeably taller or wider than a similar book. Yet when I compare it I can't see any difference. Do you think CGC would tell me what the problem was? I'd hate to trim without knowing the problem.

I could see if it looked like the book was noticeably taller or wider than a similar book. Yet when I compare it I can't see any difference. Do you think CGC would tell me what the problem was? I'd hate to trim without knowing the problem.

Yes, they'd tell you if you called

I was KIDDING about the trimming... KIDDING...

That wasn't a real suggestion (not like when I suggest that Bug and Khaos celebrate the overthrow of sodomy laws)... that was a joke... DO NOT trim your book...

'House

I believe that cover is substantially bigger than interior pages. Cover edges will get damaged is book slides in slab. That's why cgc won't slab it.

Here's an example of such a book: Link

i had a book come back to me unslabbed. i called and they said it was because the cover hangs over the book too much making it unslabbable (my word). pretty much what everyone said before me. they also told me that i have a credit since i paid for the slab but it didn't happen. i haven't figured out how to claim that credit however.

has anyone ever had them lose something? they lost a df certificate of mine. "i can't figure out where it could be." was what the guy on the phone told me. duh.

So then my question becomes, what do I do with an "unslabbale" book. Looking at the book, the cover does not seem to overhang. This wouldn't necessarily reduce the value of the book would it?

So then my question becomes, what do I do with an "unslabbale" book. Looking at the book, the cover does not seem to overhang. This wouldn't necessarily reduce the value of the book would it?

You should check each side to see if there is an overhang. I had a book returned due to an overhang. The overhang was on the right side, and was big enough that there would have been impact damage inside the case. In my opinion it doesn't reduce the value of the book, but a 9.4 slabbed book will generally sell easier and for more than a 9.4 raw book.