• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jay-Z a comic fan?

15 posts in this topic

Thought this was interesting:

Just three years after retiring as a solo artist and two years after becoming the new president and CEO of Def Jam Recordings, Shawn "Jay-Z" Carter returns with Kingdom Come. Named after the DC Comic in which Superman comes out of retirement to save the world, the album features Coldplay's Chris Martin, Kanye West, and Just Blaze, as well as classic samples from artists such as Rick James and Public Enemy.

Of course he is! Most hip hop artists are comic book fans. Then you have those who are obsessed with comics like MF Doom who thinks he's Dr Doom to the point where he is never seen without his iron mask in public or Ghostface Killah who thinks he's Tony Stark.

It's a little known phenomenon in the media that comics are considered one of the geekiest things and hip-hop is "cool" yet most of these guys grew up reading comics (and many of them still collect them). Why? It's probably down to growing up poor, reading comics and them being an escapism from life and looking up to the characters to try and better your life ... Peter Parker the high school nerd who once he puts on his costume just happens to be the greatest superhero in the marvel universe.

I post a lot on hip-hop message boards and you would be surprised at the number of guys there that collect comics. Not into CGC and grades so much but rather to read. Same goes here in London. Everyone loves comics.

Anfield...

I'm going to see PE in December, small venue (not that they are hitting large shows nowadays)

Pretty sure I will be going backstage. One of my buddies is the entertainment editor at the newspaper and we are going to the show (since no one else we know will 27_laughing.gif)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOY!

Also, don't forget Method Man aka Johnny Blaze

(...tranform into the Ghost Rider...)

Of course he is! Most hip hop artists are comic book fans. Then you have those who are obsessed with comics like MF Doom who thinks he's Dr Doom to the point where he is never seen without his iron mask in public or Ghostface Killah who thinks he's Tony Stark.

It's a little known phenomenon in the media that comics are considered one of the geekiest things and hip-hop is "cool" yet most of these guys grew up reading comics (and many of them still collect them). Why? It's probably down to growing up poor, reading comics and them being an escapism from life and looking up to the characters to try and better your life ... Peter Parker the high school nerd who once he puts on his costume just happens to be the greatest superhero in the marvel universe.

I post a lot on hip-hop message boards and you would be surprised at the number of guys there that collect comics. Not into CGC and grades so much but rather to read. Same goes here in London. Everyone loves comics.

Thank you Dr. Anfield!

poke2.gif

Wu-Tang made many references to comics. Most of thier references were to Marvel characters (good call on GFK, aka Tony Starks". His first solo album was "Iron Man"); very few (if any) DC.

Meth's first album, "Tical" (the best Wu-solo behind "Liquid Swords") had alot of comic references. Great stuff. Takes me back. cloud9.gif

Wouldn't be surprised if Jay-Z made mention or alluded to comic characters. If anyone could make it work, it's him.

MF Doom is off the chains. Killer beats. If you don't know already, check for the link between MF Doom and old-skool (early 90's) rappers 3rd Bass. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

"Tical" (the best Wu-solo behind "Liquid Swords") had alot of comic references.

I will argee with you on Liquid Swords but I can't imagine Tical being better than Only Built 4 Cuban Links which is a classic if only for Verbal Intercourse alone. thumbsup2.gif

Another (one of my MC's at the moment) who is an obvious hip fan is Jean Grae.