• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAGE GUIDELINES - comment thread
3 3

1,589 posts in this topic

I'm of the one new thread a day limit opinion, plus maintaining the "available in the Forum Only" guideline as well. I think that would help stem a massive amount of threads to weed through.

Possible fine tuning on the "one new thread a day" scenario would be restricting additions to existing threads at one per day(adding items to just one existing thread instead of however many that someone has in the forum) as well so multiple threads aren't bumped to the top with new items, just one.

Yup. That's getting my vote.

Post one new thread a day.

Or add to one thread a day.

The beauty of this is that you then can break your sales items down into as many threads as you think appropriate, given their nature, but you can't pimp more than one at a time. (thumbs u

What if you sell something from more than one thread in a given day. How do you acknowledge that?

"Post to" or "add to" once a day is the seller guideline, what sells has nothing to do with regulating mutliple sales thread posts per day for the sellers.

EDIT: I would acknowledge that with a "Yippeee! Congrats on the sale! " :applause:

Edited by GACollectibles

One thread a day is way too restrictive...and here's why:

1) I prefer to consolidate the time period I'm selling (generally on the weekends) to offer buyers a chance to save on shipping, and

2) A shorter timeframe with active threads minimizes the number of trips I make to the PO, which allows me to provide quick turnaround on shipping.

The ultimate goal would be to find a guideline balance to set an expectation of min-max threads. You may not maximize the guideline limits, but if the allowable new threads per day were set at, let's 3-4, then the possibility that 21-28 threads from one seller in a week exists. Now, common sense would lead one to believe this is unlikely to happen, but if we are encouraging people to post For Sale threads here in the Forum we have to be prepared for the possibility of this happening because it is within posted forum guidelines and not get bent out of shape if it does(not you specifically, us collectively).

If indeed we are encouraging that sort of expansion of the CGC Board Only For Sale Forum then it really seems to be needing not a slight adjustment but a major overhaul to accomodate the process.

One thread a day is way too restrictive...and here's why:

1) I prefer to consolidate the time period I'm selling (generally on the weekends) to offer buyers a chance to save on shipping, and

2) A shorter timeframe with active threads minimizes the number of trips I make to the PO, which allows me to provide quick turnaround on shipping.

BTW, I don't disagree with the intent of your reasoning for this kind of sales posting, just taking into consideration the overall impact once a guideline is set. You may approach this tactic in a resaonable manner, someone else may choose to exploit it and have the 21-28 threads in a week as I mentioned.

"guidelines" doh!

:popcorn:

Sale threads titled:

"The Best Sales Thread on the Block! "

doh!

:baiting:

I just prefer all the GA GGA sellers to PM me first with what they have to offer...forget threads all together. For that matter, whenever anyone has something sweet, rare, or just downright cool....pm me first.....just because you can.

The ultimate goal would be to find a guideline balance to set an expectation of min-max threads. You may not maximize the guideline limits, but if the allowable new threads per day were set at, let's 3-4, then the possibility that 21-28 threads from one seller in a week exists. Now, common sense would lead one to believe this is unlikely to happen, but if we are encouraging people to post For Sale threads here in the Forum we have to be prepared for the possibility of this happening because it is within posted forum guidelines and not get bent out of shape if it does (not you specifically, us collectively).

If indeed we are encouraging that sort of expansion of the CGC Board Only For Sale Forum then it really seems to be needing not a slight adjustment but a major overhaul to accomodate the process.

I agree with the sentiment, but I don't agree with the daily limit approach at all. With that, you could have an unlimited number of threads and even if you didn't post to them, one :takeit: per thread and you've hogged up the whole front page.

A total limit (3-4 active threads max) would be much simpler to monitor, and it would be effective in achieving the goal of allowing buyers to focus on items they're looking for, while allowing sellers to compartmentalize their listings. (thumbs u

What would be considered "active"? Threads get bumped up to weeks later by people who haven't seen them.

A rolling one a day, seven thread per seven day period would accomplish the same thing, but something would have to be implemented to remove/lock the thread after that established timeframe.

What would be considered "active"? Threads get bumped up to weeks later by people who haven't seen them.

A rolling one a day, seven thread per seven day period would accomplish the same thing, but something would have to be implemented to remove/lock the thread after that established timeframe.

Wait, brillaint idea!

*7 day sales threads

*Thread is viewable but no longer active after the 7 days

*Option to put thread into your "Store Inventory"(fee applies)

*CGC starts charging thread insertion fees, and maybe thread final value fees

*CGC buys out popular funds-transfer operation so they can double-dip on fees

*Boatloads of peeps post inaccrately graded/described items but CGC won't care because they will be raking it in!

Naw, it'll never work. :sorry:

Wait, brillaint idea!

*7 day sales threads

*Boatloads of peeps post inaccrately graded/described items but CGC won't care because they will be raking it in!

hm It just might :baiting::banana:

The thread becomes inactive when the seller posts "Thread Closed.". If the seller is using the thread to continue to sell books, it's "active". (shrug)

7 active threads?!?! :o

Here we go:

No spamming. Group your for sale items into as few threads as is reasonable no more than 4 active threads. After that, at least one thread must be closed by the seller before starting a new thread. Attempts to take up front page real estate by creating multiple threads for no reason are not allowed.Note: we CAN tell the difference between an active thread and an inactive thread. If you're actively selling on more than 4 threads , "lawyering" the rules will not save you.

Wait, brillaint idea!

*7 day sales threads

*Boatloads of peeps post inaccurately graded/described items but CGC won't care because they will be raking it in!

It's happening now. (shrug)

BTW fixed your misspelling if "inaccurately" :gossip:

"guidelines" doh!

:popcorn:

Sale threads titled:

"The Best Sales Thread on the Block! "

doh!

You prefer Warlord's: CGC Ready! CGC Quality! CGC It! Minty Freaks Only! ???lol:insane:

I rated them both as entertaining, however, now yours has lost some of it's luster. :makepoint:

The thread becomes inactive when the seller posts "Thread Closed.". If the seller is using the thread to continue to sell books, it's "active". (shrug)

Yes, specifically inactive from the seller standpoint could mean no more new items posted/no more price drops/no more "Off to ebay"/etc, but do we want to penalize the seller if someone doesn't see a thread for 2 weeks and then wants to buy something(if available)?

7 active threads?!?! :o

Here we go:

No spamming. Group your for sale items into as few threads as is reasonable no more than 4 active threads. After that, at least one thread must be closed by the seller before starting a new thread. Attempts to take up front page real estate by creating multiple threads for no reason are not allowed.Note: we CAN tell the difference between an active thread and an inactive thread. If you're actively selling on more than 4 threads , "lawyering" the rules will not save you.

But you haven't restricted the total number of sales threads at one time, a seller could post 4 new threads a day, close each one at the end of the day, and do the same thing for 7 days. That's (4x7 carry the 2 plus the cosine of pi, divided by 0) still a possibility of 28 threads per 7 day period.

I'm not saying the 7 thread/7 day rolling total is the solution, just a suggestion. Your specific solution suits your reasonable posting perspective, and the guideline needs to be a little more comphrehensive, correct?

But you haven't restricted the total number of sales threads at one time.

Sure it does, they can only have 4 active threads at one time. I guess they could start 4 new threads every 2 minutes, leave them up for 5 minutes, close them, then start 4 new threads such that they would have over 205 new threads per day, but I don't see that happening. (shrug)

With 1 thread allowed per day, one could have over 700 active threads after 2 years...but I don't see that happening either. (shrug)