• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I've a serious question and seek your advice

48 posts in this topic

He did buy it as a Christmas present for me. He got it because he thought I'd like it. Not him.

Personally, I think that's important info that should have been in the original post.

Now you're dealing with a gift, for which you should always smile and thank the person, even if it sucks. No good can come from any other course of action. flowerred.gif

G.D. it Joe, you're right again. Let the flame wars commence.....,Christo_pull_hair.gif

Here's a scan:

stanleewf0.jpg

There's no way to be 100% sure, but I've seen hundreds of Stan Lee signatures and that looks like a legitimate Stan Lee signature to me. The book is not worth $90 though, even if the signature is genuine. Not even close. Stan is a prolific signer and books with his signature are not hard to find.

All that said, it's not your fault that he overpaid for the book. It was his decision and it is his problem. confused-smiley-013.gif You can feel bad for him, but don't blame yourself.

This looks like Stan to me. Bear in mind that until recently and the rise of signature series events, it was not difficult to get Stan to sign things. He would sign them whenever and wherever asked. But following the movies the number of requests have ballooned and Stan cannot be faulted for wanting to make some money signing books.

But all of the above should NOT lead people to think books signed by Stan or anyone else are worthless unless they were signed at some organized signature event.

Whenever a board member puts junk freebies with my comics i will get a big red marker and sprawl the word RUBBISH all over the cover and then i will ship it back to them. I don't put any stamps on the package so they have to pay for it when they go and collect it from the post office.
893scratchchin-thumb.gifI knew I should have voted for you in the last boards election.

Whenever a board member puts junk freebies with my comics i will get a big red marker and sprawl the word RUBBISH all over the cover and then i will ship it back to them. I don't put any stamps on the package so they have to pay for it when they go and collect it from the post office.
893scratchchin-thumb.gifI knew I should have voted for you in the last boards election.

I see youve never been to a Big Apple Con.

I learned awhile ago never to ask (and try to avoid finding out) how much someone spent on a collectible gift for you. If they thought they got a good deal and it's something they wanted to give you, they amount they spent is only their business.

Would you tell someone if they bought you a $100 HC at Barnes and Noble that they could have gotten it $40 cheaper from DBCS or something?

yeah, don't say anything like "this is worthless", but maybe figure out a way to indirectly let him know "this is great, but please don't spend that kind of money on me again, not for a signature!" (don't say that...but...)

Actually, the signature is not really worthless, even if unverifiable. I know big name signatures have helped a few of my books, but you're right, not to the tune of more than $5-$10 or whatever, and these were books I had signed, so I at least had a story I could tell that wasn't a lie.

And a couple of bucks is probably all that something like this should add anyway (and all it really added before CGC created a monopoly on what is considered a real signature) Sure, it's Stan Lee, but as another poster noted, he's probably signed tens if not hundreds of thousands of comics!

I remember a few years back my older brother thought he was being nice buying me a Spawn 1 for Christmas! Mind you, he probably paid $10 for it, so not a big deal. (We don't ordinarily exchange gifts.) [He was a comic reader (and trasher), but not a collector. After reading, they might as well be used for packing material as far as he's concerned.] Like I needed another one of those!

I see youve never been to a Big Apple Con.

confused.gif