• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

how was 2006 for you as a comics fan?!

44 posts in this topic

1. Hanging out at Chicago with my ong time buds, and new friends Win and Alan F.

2. Acquiring Detective #1!

3. PonsCon 3 (the con at my house)

4. Acquring Flash #1

5. Making new friends here on the Boards!!!!

2006 was major for me as it marked the year that I really got absorbed back into comics beyond a passive cherry picking of titles - a condition that described me for a decade and a half. I had really kept myself to specific runs (Hitman, Planetary, Seven Soldier various Vertigo works -filling out my Valiant run etc).

I was really brought back into the mix through the pure enthusiasm of another fan I met by chance who just began to throw tons of TPB's at me.

I tend to be the type of personality that once I get involved in something I plunge myself into the subject with an addict's enthusiasm (real experience in this as well), so I have been fiercely enjoying catching up on decade I missed and reintroducing myself to books in my past, and a real growing admiration for works before my time (that can be attributed to some degree by this board - I saw someone grab their 'grail' a Spirit#22 I believe and I have decided I have to have that book at some point!).

It is also the year that I have to acknowledge DC in a way I never did wehn I was younger. I was a Marvel fanboy and didn't give a damn about DC outside of Batman and Vertigo but know have come to my senses" both DC and Marvel are the present, but only one is the true foundation. Whil eI think we all have serious discussions about a myrdia of topics throughout a year (dealing with family, friends, economic, social, political etc subjects) with various people in our personal or business circles the one thing said to me I appreciate the most this year (and we are going into December) was by that aforementioned comic fan: "Jay, I don't care how much you know or have read, if you don't grasp the Trinity, you don't really grasp comics".

to everyone

since we're "closing down the year"...what were the best/higlights for you as a comics fan/collector this year?!

regards

Pretty good so far... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Highlight buys:

FF 2 in VG/VG- cloud9.gif

ASM 7 in VG+ cloud9.gif

Both from the same Forum Member. thumbsup2.gif

Many cheaper ASMs JIMs/Thors and some nice TTAs.

Highlight sells:

JLA 1 CGC 3.5 for my highest sale of a single book ever.

New GPA high too! cloud9.gif

Run of TTA 60 - 101 in FVF (missing 93) + some Hulks. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Another big run of TTA in VGF. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Got my Supes #1 and The Reign of the Superman from 1933.Adams Wests Bat costume.My 1st Shuster Origanal art.Its been a great year collecting wise.

Adam West's Batman Costume!??!?!

Man! That is cool! Way to go! 893applaud-thumb.gif

to everyone

since we're "closing down the year"...what were the best/higlights for you as a comics fan/collector this year?!

regards

Pretty good so far... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Highlight buys:

FF 2 in VG/VG- cloud9.gif

ASM 7 in VG+ cloud9.gif

Both from the same Forum Member. thumbsup2.gif

Many cheaper ASMs JIMs/Thors and some nice TTAs.

Highlight sells:

JLA 1 CGC 3.5 for my highest sale of a single book ever.

New GPA high too! cloud9.gif

Run of TTA 60 - 101 in FVF (missing 93) + some Hulks. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Another big run of TTA in VGF. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Wonder what Santa will bring you?

shy.gif

For me this has been the best year of my collecting existence. I finally narrowed down a speciality by deciding to concentrate on Strange Tales in July and made great headway in that area. I was the proud owner of FF#1, ASM #1 & AF #15 for the first time in my collecting days. Made some great friends from joining this forum and really enhanced my overall perspective of the hobby after being away from it for so long and have certainly found a passion for the hobby that I didn't think I would feel again as a child in the days of innocent collecting.

Got my Supes #1 and The Reign of the Superman from 1933.Adams Wests Bat costume.My 1st Shuster Origanal art.Its been a great year collecting wise.

Adam West's Batman Costume!??!?!

Man! That is cool! Way to go! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I have a Picture of Wests costume posted some where .I forget which thread.

This year is coming to a close and all in all it was a good year for me to be collecting. I recently got back into collecting comic books with my wife and we enjoy it very much. We sold off some of our "unwanted" books and are rebuilding our collection. I am so happy I got back into collecting. I can't believe that I ever gave it up! Onward to 2007!

My whole year had way too many good things happen to pin point any one thing so I guess I will give a summary of my year. It starts out in February at Wonder-con. Where I met and got 15 autographs Frank Miller, at this same convention I met and got autographs from Brian Singer, Brandon Routh, and Wes Craven. On top of all that I got a ton of sketches plus a published Mike Hoffman pin-up and got to see some friends. On to the New York Comic con where I met and got Twenty-five autographs from Todd McFarlane. In Addition to that I met Milla Jovavich, had dinner with Michael Kaluta, and got Neal Adams to do a sketch for the 3 minute sketchbook. Once again also more art and comics and I got to see some friends.

Next up is Wizard World LA where the highlight was getting a sketch from Michael Turner. AS many of you know Mike very rarely sketches at conventions and never at Wizard shows so this was real special. My next stop is Heroes Con Where I met Dave Cockrum who is very nice and a total wealth of knowledge, more art and comics. There were some cool highlights like getting a sketch from Nick Cardy.

Next Up is San Diego, this Con experience is a story to it self so I will just hit super highlights. I met and got sketches and autographs from Eduardo Barretto, Humberto Ramos, Yoaka Amano, Dave McKean, and several more. I met Kazuo Koike, the creator of Lone Wolf and Cub in his only American appearance ever, as well. I also have an interesting story about Ray Bradbury (PM for details if interested) and had dinner with Neal Adams thanks to Steve Borock and Paul Litch for introducing me. Chicago didn't have any highlights except seeing Martin Nodel's story pitch for The Green Lantern which Gary Calibono presented at the forum dinner. On to the Baltimore comic-con this was a nice show, but the real highlight was going to the opening of the Geppi Entertainment Museum. So that was my year and all the highlights. I am sorry for the length.

Think about this, if those were the highlights what I didn’t list.

I must add one thing I did not know when I wrote this post. Dave Cockrum Has passed away. One of my highlights was meeting him at heroes con this year. I was actually looking foward to seeing him again this coming year again at heroes-con. Rest in Peace Dave.