• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much ‘sun shadow’ could bring down this ASM 56?

20 posts in this topic

If I were going to sell it, I'd slab it myself. You'll definitely get more than the grading fee back IF it gets a 9.0 or above, and that dust shadow alone isn't preventing it from getting that grade. However, since it sounds like you live in Europe, I dunno if it makes sense once you factor in shipping unless you send a big group of books in together.

I'd get this slabbed, if you were thinking of selling it. Might come back a 9.0. It's got nice corners, and I can't see any stress cracks - not one. This book is nice. With the shadow it could be knocked down to an 8.5 I suppose, but you should get that at least.

Guys, is this a "sun" shadow? If so, why is the shadow on both sides of the comic. Seems to me the light damage would be one-sided, no? Looks more like oxidation to me, but I'm not sure of the difference. That would at least explain why the shadow is on both sides of the comic.

Looks more like oxidation to me, but I'm not sure of the difference. That would at least explain why the shadow is on both sides of the comic.

That's what I was thinking, a sun shadow wouldn't be on both sides; that's why I referred to it as a dust shadow. But I'm not entirely sure how to tell the difference between the two just by looking.

If this were a Golden Age book with no other defects than those shown,

I am almost positive CGC would give it a 9.2-9.4. They have been very

forgiving wrt. shadows like this. They do grade SA books harder, though.

One more note, if this was a Golden Age comic, CGC probably would not downgrade too much (if at all) for the dust shadow. A Silver comic would most likely be graded differently in that regard.

If this were a Golden Age book with no other defects than those shown,

I am almost positive CGC would give it a 9.2-9.4. They have been very

forgiving wrt. shadows like this. They do grade SA books harder, though.

Simultaneous posting! 893frustrated.gif

I think you are both right! I wasn’t sure about the “sun” and “dust” difference, but now that you noted it, I looked better at the book and actually it appears to be a “dust shadow” defect.

And you are right again, fantastic_four: as you can guess from my bad English, I live in Europe. I have 8 ASM books I’d like to sell (#7, 38, 56, 62, 64, 121, 122 and 129), but I don’t know how to get them slabbed. A part CGC fees, total shipping would be not less than $100, and I’m also afraid that when I get the books back I could also be charged for import taxes by Customs (for items that I already own!!). And without CGC slabs I don’t think there will be anyone who will trust a non-US seller. Sigh, I’m really tempted to trash them all! 893frustrated.gifsorry.gif

Apparently dust shadows can be removed, but I'm not sure if it's considered restoration or not. Sun shadows cannot be removed. Guess that's one way of telling the difference.