• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Preacher coming to HBO

14 posts in this topic

I say good luck to them. I worked on the movie for two years as a writer and am happy just to see it hit any screen even if it is the small one. I am sure they will make somthing special, considering that they have HBO's lax censorship and the time to take with a full season to really get into the nitty gritty of the storyline that Ennis had made on their side.

I for one am looking forward to it. it's weird after spending so much time with it myself, its a feeling of sadness and jubilation to see someone else take it and do somthing. Good for them.

Chris

I say good luck to them. I worked on the movie for two years as a writer and am happy just to see it hit any screen even if it is the small one.

Chris

Chris,

Would you care to expound on this further? Where you translating the books into a -script one by one? What was your guidance on this?

Being a favorite series of mine I'm curious about this whole process.

Mike hi.gif

Initially it was just the 'Gone to texas' storyline that garth wanted to do, but his -script was nearly like a litteral translation of the comic, beat for beat, panel for panel and on film it would have dragged(you can find that -script around if you want to read it, try dailyscripts.com they might have it). I was brought on to go over it and make it more cinematic. I kept the Gone to texas area of the story for the 3 acts and I brought in the cousins and upped the anti alot for all the characters since we only had a couple hours to tell such an epic tale. I also had to create a way to build Jesse up and we used his past being locked in the coffin under the swamp as a major plot point, as he fights through his past he gains the knowledge of Genisis and how to use it properly. There are a few new things thrown in that really worked and a few things taken out of the mythology. But, thats the way it goes.

There are alot of other things I did as well, but those are the major things. its funny I read some reviews of my -script on aintitcoolnews.com and the reviewer was pissed that I didn't have the entire 66 issue storyline within a 2 hour movie, he tore it a new one. Its hard adapting stuff cause of my own expectations, the expectations of a rather OCD crowd of comic fans and then having to squash it all into 2 hours while the whole time making it a visual and entertaining ride. It can get daunting at times, but it is definately one of the best jobs I ever had from a purely geek place in my heart.

I also worked on Judge Dredd 2 as well, but as we all know... that also didn't get made. Filmmaking can be a real *spoon*. But, I do have a number that have so i guess i can't complain none.

Once again, i am stoked that they are doing Preacher for TV. Should be awesome!

'best

Chris

Well, I just spoke with a Production Executive at HBO who is a close friend of mine and he has never heard of this project at HBO. So either is hasn't made it into the company infrastructure or the Hollywood Reporter has jumped the gun on the story, which has happened in the past.

I thought I had read that this was already looked at and declined, but wasn't sure when it was bandied about. But, wikipedia said this;

For several years, a film adaptation was in the works, with James Marsden attached to play the lead. The project never materialized, although production got so far as to begin make up tests for the Arseface character, gruesome pictures of which can be found online [1]. At one point, Samuel L. Jackson, a comic book fan, expressed interest in playing the Saint of Killers.

In May of 2006, rumors began circulating that the cable tv network HBO might produce an adaptation of Preacher. [1] On November 29, 2006, The Hollywood Reporter confirmed this, reporting that the network was developing a one-hour series with executive producers Mark Steven Johnson and Howard Deutch. [2]

The pay cable network, HBO, is developing a one-hour series based on the popular 1990s Vertigo comics series. Mark Steven Johnson, the writer-director behind comic adaptations "Daredevil" and the upcoming "Ghost Rider," is writing the pilot, while Howard Deutch is attached to direct. Johnson and Deutch will executive produce along with Michael De Luca, George Agusto, Chris Bender and JC Spink. 11-29-2006

At one point, Samuel L. Jackson, a comic book fan, expressed interest in playing the Saint of Killers.

I apologize in advance for my lame humor, but I was bored at work and this was the first thing that popped into my head:

saintsonaplain.gif

Very cool story! thumbsup2.gif

It sounds like your love for preacher should have also been used for the HBO series. Who can the forumites call or email and harass to get you on the project? confused-smiley-013.gif

Thats very sweet of ya, Steve. I might take a look into it myself first, not sure if I'd even have time to work on it as i am skipping from one project to the next right now. But, once again thanks.

Also, I looked into this. It is a happenning thing, but very, very, very early in the process of it hitting the small screens. From what I hear anyway, but who knows this is the film industry it could be playing on TBS 24hr rotation by Christmas day for all I know instead of Christmas Story. Ha! But I doubt we'll be seeing it anytime soon.

chris

Some of the names floating around for Saint Of Killers in my day we're Liam Neeson with scar and age makeup which I thought was all awesome sauce and the funniest one was Snoop Dog for a brief second, but then everyone came to their senses.

Never heard the Sam Jackson one, at least he wasn't being seriously considered is all I know.

I still think Jimmy Marsden should have been Jesse, hope the new guys feel the same.