• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"There's no need to slab my comics"

86 posts in this topic

The day the auction ended, George put in a snipe bid with 10 seconds remaining for $600,000. He was afraid that that wouldn't be enough. When the auction was over, he could not believe his eyes. The collection was his for $66,000!

I can't get over that this schmuck would wait until 10 seconds before the auction ended and risk half a million to a million on losing out from a computer glitch.

Guess I should go spend $40,000 to slab my collection now that I've read this?

My thoughts exactly. For what it would cost me to slab just the over $50 books in my collection, I could pay for a $1 million life insurance policy for 15-20 years.

BTW, if I slabbed my entire collection, I'd have to add an addition onto the house for the 3 extra rooms that I would need for storage.. 27_laughing.gif Not to mention that the bulk of most collectors' collections are probably books worth $10 - $50 that it would be a total waste of money slabbing.

It seems as if the sensible solution would have been to write down the name of a few reputable dealers on a piece of paper whom the wife could contact if **something happened.**

It seems as if the sensible solution would have been to write down the name of a few reputable dealers on a piece of paper whom the wife could contact if **something happened.**

Oddly enough I was just talking about this with my wife a couple of days ago. She asked me to show her how to sell on ebay in case something ever happened to me. I told her I would just make up a list of dealers she can call who might treat her with some respect and give her a decent price.

I've also decided to start condensing my collection down into a more manageable size and something easier for her to liquidate should she need to.

If you have a million dollar collection that you inherited,you may not want to let your wife know about it as it would be community property should you end up in a divorce.

I can easily understand a young man not wanting to sell his comics,if he has a good job and the books were a legacy from his father.

The only fault I would have with him is that he should have left instructions on the books worth and a way to sell them with someone,to be opened after his death.But how many people under 40 die without even a simple will?Way too many.

Oddly enough I was just talking about this with my wife a couple of days ago. She asked me to show her how to sell on ebay in case something ever happened to me. I told her I would just make up a list of dealers she can call who might treat her with some respect and give her a decent price.

Right. There are plenty of trustworthy guys who would either buy it outright or sell on consignment. Just make sure you tell the wife that it should be an all or nothing deal. No cherry picking.

I've also decided to start condensing my collection down into a more manageable size and something easier for her to liquidate should she need to.

thumbsup2.gif

The other option, of course, being that we're reading a post typed by a disembodied and very bitter ghost.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! I don't know if this board is ready for bitter ghosts!

-Hiding under the covers Bob

Right. There are plenty of trustworthy guys who would either buy it outright or sell on consignment. Just make sure you tell the wife that it should be an all or nothing deal. No cherry picking.

Why not just have a database with grades of all the books and their FMV? Granted, it would need updating every so often, depending on the content of the collection. If you're going to dedicate so much of your time to a hobby, why not do that as a matter of course?

One final point (and I imagine it's not going to be a popular one for people around here to hear), is that if you're married, and especially if you have kids, if your comic book collection comprises a significant percentage of your net worth, then I think it's a little selfish to not sell some of those and share the proceeds with your family (vacation, buying a house, new car, etc.,.). For example, someone feverishly collected books throughout their 20's while they were single, amassed a huge, killer collection by spending all their extra cash on comic books, gets married 10-15 years later with little net worth outside of the funny books, and suddenly finds themselves with a wife and kids to care for - IMHO, this person needs to downsize their collection.

The vacation and the car aren't going to last. I have a budget for comic spending, but it comes after I put money into the 401k, IRA, 529 for the 3 kids and my automated deposits into a few mutual funds.

That about leaves me with two books from the quarter bin each month. tonofbricks.gif

I have a budget for comic spending, but it comes after I put money into the 401k, IRA, 529 for the 3 kids and my automated deposits into a few mutual funds.

thumbsup2.gif

My comic budget is real easy to manage - if I want to buy something, I sell something to pay for it. confused-smiley-013.gif

I can easily imagine the opposite situation-- a guy who has a near worthless collection of non-key books in fair to poor condition whose wife thinks they are worth a fortune. They have value but only to the husband who spent his whole lifetime accumulating them. The kids need braces and they are a couple of months behind on the mortgage and with the wife's insistence they sell a lifetime of memories for peanuts.

Self funding hobby cloud9.gif

Me too. cloud9.gif

Thats what I gotta do!

I just don't wanna offend anybody by selling a book I got off them.

If you have any qualms about it, just ask the person. That's what I do when I need to flip a new book quickly in order to pay for something else. In the past the original seller always appreciated me checking with them first and never had any problem with what I was doing.

I know I couldn't care less if someone buys a book from me straight up (without using any lines) and tries to sell it for a profit. More power to them. Others feel differently though, which is why I sometimes check first.