• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cutting Apart Keys and Selling Panels

37 posts in this topic

Even if you had an imcomplete or coverless copy of Avengers 1, you could do better trying to complete it and then sell it whole. This guy is completely clueless.

I'm not so sure he's clueless. The seller needs only to sell two of these "gems", even from an incomplete book, to make a good return on what was likely a low-dollar investment. I'm surprised this sort of thing hasn't been done before on a larger scale. Look at the card companies, snipping bats and "game-worn" jerseys (and jockstraps for all I know), packaging these remnants as "collectibles".

It's capitalism in action. If no one buys the product, then it was a bad idea. If the product sells at a profit, it was a good idea. Adam Smith and Milton Friedman R.I.P.

Sadly this is not an entirely new situation as for years paper Americana dealers were cutting up copies of various Platinum Age books and selling them by the page matted so that they could be used as decorative items in homes. Some of the books that have be cut up and sold by the page include Buster Brown, Pore Lil Mose, and Charlie Chaplin comics. frown.gif

I have an Obadiah Oldbuck I'm going to do this with insane.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

How do we know these panels were not cut out of Marvel Collector's Item Classics or Marvel Tales squarebound reprints? What a great $$$ machine to buy g/vg 1965 squarebounds & dice them up for eBay. devil.gif

Because its got a seal of authenticity ,silly. foreheadslap.gif

foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

Stupidity never seizes to amaze me tonofbricks.gif

I disagree. I don't think it is stupid at all. Surely no one would cut up a nice book, but for some key book in 1.0 or less, why not? I'm sure there would be some people that were thrilled to own a chunk of AF #15, FF #1 or a snippet from a key GA Superman or Batman book. How many collectors on a real tight budget can buy the complete (even beat up) copy? Framing a third of a page, or even whole page from a 1939 book would surely look nice on my wall. I'm not looking for these snippets to by or sell, but I don't see a problem with buying or selling them if one is interested.

foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

Stupidity never seizes to amaze me tonofbricks.gif

I disagree. I don't think it is stupid at all. Surely no one would cut up a nice book, but for some key book in 1.0 or less, why not? I'm sure there would be some people that were thrilled to own a chunk of AF #15, FF #1 or a snippet from a key GA Superman or Batman book. How many collectors on a real tight budget can buy the complete (even beat up) copy? Framing a third of a page, or even whole page from a 1939 book would surely look nice on my wall. I'm not looking for these snippets to by or sell, but I don't see a problem with buying or selling them if one is interested.

Would you buy it? Has anyone bought it? No. Why? Because it IS stupid. Granted, there probably are stupid people out there with money, but it's fixing to be a cold winter, and I'm sure they're using it for kindling before they spend it on cut-up comic books.

Can you imagine the proud homeowner with these framed panels on his wall?

Would you buy it? Has anyone bought it? No. Why? Because it IS stupid. Granted, there probably are stupid people out there with money, but it's fixing to be a cold winter, and I'm sure they're using it for kindling before they spend it on cut-up comic books.

I just cannot fathom how ANYBODY would call someone's idea of a collectible as stupid. You know how many non-collectors think paying $100, let alone $1,000 on a single comic book is stupid? Just think about your above statement as referring to any high dollar comic book (whole comic, that is) and then see how many non-collectors feel that way. I have to honestly say that reading a statement like yours above makes me think that YOU are the stupid one (if you don't mind me using your language) as it is making you look like a real collectibles snob. You don't like it, therefore it is stupid, or the collector/dealer is stupid. Ridiculous.

Asking a non-collector for an opinion about collectors paying high/low dollars for comics is pretty irrelevant since they dont collect to begin with poke2.gif

When card companies started shredding historic bats,uniforms,even floors and including minute pieces of them on hard to find premium cards,I thought the collecting hobby would rise up in anger. Yet it has become fairly common.

Same thing will possibly happen here.

Does it bother me if beater copies of Key books are chopped up-Yes.

But I'd rather they do that then manipulate them into 5.0s and slab them.

Asking a non-collector for an opinion about collectors paying high/low dollars for comics is pretty irrelevant since they dont collect to begin with poke2.gif

Yes, but apparently asking collectors about how they feel about a specific collectible that they do not also collect must also be irrelevant. As I said before, looking down on this form of collectible is snobbery at it's finest. Just look at all the comic book collectors that felt slabbing a comic book was "stupid" and that "comics should be read, not sealed in plastic....." and all that. You don't like collecting snippets of key comics, fine, don't buy them. But do not call dealers or collectors of these snippets as stupid. That is unless you feel the non-slabbers are grounded in calling the slabbers stupid as well.

I just cannot fathom how ANYBODY would call someone's idea of a collectible as stupid. You know how many non-collectors think paying $100, let alone $1,000 on a single comic book is stupid? Just think about your above statement as referring to any high dollar comic book (whole comic, that is) and then see how many non-collectors feel that way. I have to honestly say that reading a statement like yours above makes me think that YOU are the stupid one (if you don't mind me using your language) as it is making you look like a real collectibles snob. You don't like it, therefore it is stupid, or the collector/dealer is stupid. Ridiculous.

You know what? I'll avoid taking this into the realm of name-calling. I don't feel like I need to defend my intelligence, either.

Collectibles snob? I was collecting comics way before it ever approached acceptability. I'll admit, at one time or another in my life, I have been a snob about books, music, movies, television, etc. Who hasn't? I've reached a point in my life that I like what I like, you like what you like, and if they overlap, we have something to talk about, and if they don't, well, then they don't. I don't care if you collect Hummels, Hummers or celebrity toenail clippings, if it makes you happy, then that's gotta make the world better for everyone.

My objection involves destroying one collectible to make another. My objection is to taking a piece of history and cutting it up. What makes this worse, is that I'm convinced there is not a market for this, in this type of circumstance, and if I'm wrong, and there turns out to be one, well, then that just makes me sad.

People cut up and sell ads from old magazines. I don't like that, but in most cases (Life Magazine, for instance) there are probably more copies out there than people who would collect them. Conversely, copies of Pore Little Mose (a fantastically-drawn and historically-significant book--not just in the comics field, but in the annuls of American history) have been routinely cut up and sold as prints to collectors of Black Americana, to the point where complete copies of the book are, indeed, rare.

So, I'll be more specific. Some people thing that anything you can do that makes a buck is fair game. That's their right. But, it's my right to consider the act of destroying a collectible to try and create multiple collectibles as a stupid act.

Again, has anyone purchased this item? Is anyone likely to purchase this item? How many of you out there would really want this? Three "spooning" panels from a comic book? If I walk into your house and see this on your wall, I'm still going to think "how pathetic?" If I walk into your house and see your collection of celebrity toenail clippings on the wall, I'm just going to think "how bizarre."

You know what? I'll avoid taking this into the realm of name-calling. I don't feel like I need to defend my intelligence, either.

Collectibles snob? I was collecting comics way before it ever approached acceptability. I'll admit, at one time or another in my life, I have been a snob about books, music, movies, television, etc. Who hasn't? I've reached a point in my life that I like what I like, you like what you like, and if they overlap, we have something to talk about, and if they don't, well, then they don't. I don't care if you collect Hummels, Hummers or celebrity toenail clippings, if it makes you happy, then that's gotta make the world better for everyone.

My objection involves destroying one collectible to make another. My objection is to taking a piece of history and cutting it up. What makes this worse, is that I'm convinced there is not a market for this, in this type of circumstance, and if I'm wrong, and there turns out to be one, well, then that just makes me sad.

People cut up and sell ads from old magazines. I don't like that, but in most cases (Life Magazine, for instance) there are probably more copies out there than people who would collect them. Conversely, copies of Pore Little Mose (a fantastically-drawn and historically-significant book--not just in the comics field, but in the annuls of American history) have been routinely cut up and sold as prints to collectors of Black Americana, to the point where complete copies of the book are, indeed, rare.

So, I'll be more specific. Some people thing that anything you can do that makes a buck is fair game. That's their right. But, it's my right to consider the act of destroying a collectible to try and create multiple collectibles as a stupid act.

Again, has anyone purchased this item? Is anyone likely to purchase this item? How many of you out there would really want this? Three "spooning" panels from a comic book? If I walk into your house and see this on your wall, I'm still going to think "how pathetic?" If I walk into your house and see your collection of celebrity toenail clippings on the wall, I'm just going to think "how bizarre."

Very well said Roger!

I don't appreciate you calling my celebrity toenail clippings bizarre. Some are even shaped like the crescent moon. cloud9.gif

Yes, but apparently asking collectors about how they feel about a specific collectible that they do not also collect must also be irrelevant. As I said before, looking down on this form of collectible is snobbery at it's finest. Just look at all the comic book collectors that felt slabbing a comic book was "stupid" and that "comics should be read, not sealed in plastic....." and all that. You don't like collecting snippets of key comics, fine, don't buy them. But do not call dealers or collectors of these snippets as stupid. That is unless you feel the non-slabbers are grounded in calling the slabbers stupid as well.

Is it okay if I call you a person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point? Is that better than stupid?

Is it okay if I call you a person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point? Is that better than stupid?

Certainly, if you can justify your reasoning. I'd like to hear it. It's easy to throw out insults, and if I deserve one then I'll take it. But I'd at least like to hear why it is justified in your eyes.