• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paypal Gurus please help

31 posts in this topic

I think I was scammed. Seller had an item on eBay for $400 without receiving any bids. I thought it was high, so I offered $260. Seller accepted. A week after payment (which occurred May 14) seller sends me an email saying he hasn't had a chance to get the item out yet. Fine. It happens.

However, I haven't heard from the guy since despite emails from my end.

I go to paypal, whom I made the payment through thinking I can chargeback if he doesn't send the item to me, and am notified that my complaint has been 'noted' but that they can't investigation payments made over 30 days ago.

Aarggh!

Am I hooped or what? Do I have any other avenues of recourse that any of you can see? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I forgot the best part - that which really warms my heart. The seller has changed his eBay ID and made his feedback private

So no excuse for him, he's not actually in a hospital... tongue.gif

Transaction outside Ebay could be dangerous... Have you indicated an ebay item id on the paypal payment ?

I think I was scammed. Seller had an item on eBay for $400 without receiving any bids. I thought it was high, so I offered $260. Seller accepted. A week after payment (which occurred May 14) seller sends me an email saying he hasn't had a chance to get the item out yet. Fine. It happens.

I go to paypal, whom I made the payment through thinking I can chargeback if he doesn't send the item to me, and am notified that my complaint has been 'noted' but that they can't investigation payments made over 30 days ago.

Aarggh!

Am I hooped or what? Do I have any other avenues of recourse that any of you can see? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Unfortunately, from PAYPAL you're screwed.

Aarggh!

Firstly, I assume you paid with Paypal using a credit card?

If you didn't and used PP Balance.. you are out of luck.

If you used a Bank Transfer... I have an idea.

Well, going to Paypal first is what they want... and if they can't/won't reverse the transaction for whatever reason (too much time, no money to get to from the other party, ruling against you, not following their regulations, etc.)... you still can go directly to your credit card company (IF you paid with a CC) and issue a chargeback. Paypal won't like it and may cancel you (or warn you)...BUT you can get your money back and Paypal will lose the money or aggresively go after the guy now that they have a finaicial interest to do so.The seller may find that he has a negative balance at his bank or his CC may be charged.

See my other thread for details...

More Paypal Info

I would not wait much longer to call your CC company.

thanks bronzebruce. I really appreciate your insights. I guess I'm officially hooped then because it was paid out of a balance frown.gif Paypal's foreign exchange rates are a complete ripoff which is why I have always tried to maintain a balance. frown.giffrown.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

I hadn't been ripped off in like 5 years - I forgot what a sour taste it really is. Btw, this seller had like 400 positive feedback or something. crazy.gif

What I enjoy about this is the conflicting guidelines from PayPal and E-Bay. With E-Bay, you can't file a fraud complaint due to non-payment until at least 30 days have passed, whereas with PayPal, after 30 days, you're screwed.

Consumer to consumer e-commerce fraud protection sucks!!!! I wish I would've been the one interviewing those E-Bay representatives on that flowery piece 60 Minutes did on them!!! mad.gif

I hadn't been ripped off in like 5 years - I forgot what a sour taste it really is. Btw, this seller had like 400 positive feedback or something. crazy.gif

Bronty....why can't you pull this guys info and call him....sometimes a phone call can work wonders...

Also...maybe you can win one of his items and tell him that payment will follow when you recieve your first item...

Rick,

I can't pull his info because there was no associated eBay transaction (it was a private offer made once his auction received no bids). However, I will take your advice about winning another item (as cheap as possible).. at least that way I'll be able to leave a retaliatory neg and get his contact info. Thanks for the suggestion, it's a good one.

Dan

If you bid on any item he has you can request his info and get it. If its false... you can report him. If his info is real, you can call and apply some pressure...threaten legal action. You can prove you sent funds... he can't prove he sent you anything. Find out what's up.

If that fails, maybe we all can email him and apply pressure?

Initiating a chargeback on your credit card is a bit more complex. You will first call them and tell them you want to challenge a bill. At which point they'll confirm that with you and tell you they'll send you something in the mail. You'll get a "survey" type report in the mail, which you need to fill out. Include copies of an email between you and the seller confirming the sale. You'll also have to file what type of problem you had, and in this case it looks like you'll have to file it as fraud.. in which case you might be hearing from other people as well..

Anyways, it takes about 1-2 months to totally complete the process and get the chargeback..

Brian

Thanks Brian. Like I indicated above though, it was from a balance in paypal, so I don't think the CC company can help me. Also, I tried filing with the National Fraud Prevention... but I'm in Canada and therefore SOL.

No problem... and taking a technique from Rick and Matt... consider creating another ID called... "stole_my_cash_and_changed_IDs!" or something like that and bid on all of his auctions. BUT First I'd try one low bid with your real ID, get his phone number and call him. If that does not work... then play dirty!

I hate scumbags like that! I learned the hard way too... real hard.

If the paypal id is still good, send a paypal invoice for the total you're out. It's not likely to work but it'll at least let the jerk know you're not going to give up.

I thought there was a way to get the other parties registered info from Paypal but I just clicked around a little and I guess that's been changed. All I could get was "Profile Info" on a seller. This is not good enough and Paypal should provide more detail

dave h