• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another EC collecting thread!

150 posts in this topic

Nice looking book -- looks like it's part of the era when Marie Severin was coloring the covers. cloud9.gif

Are you looking for any EC or is the thread just for New Direction books?

No distributor code but this copy is a River City.

TalesCrypt35.jpg

BTW killer copy!

Thanks!

i think we will go with anything done by EC for this thread

Good, then I can post this one! (Gaines copy)

Piracy6-1.jpg

Nice Piracy, adam...we can almost FEEL the heat from that sun (Krigstein is just great).

Was that a Marie Severin coloring job or did Krigstein do it all?

Jack

I suspect Marie Severin because it has a similar look relative to the others from that time. I checked a couple ref books but they don't note the colorist for specific books, but I'm this info is out there. Or we could call Marie -- it's always a hoot talking with her.

Also, I do know that Gaines made Krigstein change the size/position of the sun (or had someone else do it). K had it lower down and larger to push the figure in the rowboat out toward the viewer. I suspect that might have been the stronger composition but Gaines may have known what would sell best on the newstand.

While my collecting fervor for various publishers may vary over time, I always LOVE ECs.

Nice Piracy, adam...we can almost FEEL the heat from that sun (Krigstein is just great).

STEVE

With a cover design this simple, the artist has to hope for the right coloring in order for it to work. I think the coloring is spot on.

From Greg Sadowski's book, the indispensible resource for the Krigstein fanatic:

"My original design called for an overpowering sun that practically filled the cover, and Feldstein insisted on the cover as it was eventually run. I thought it was a great mistake, that Feldstein's restrictive concept of realism really destroyed the pyschological impact that was the whole purpose of the picture."

Here's what a Dutch publisher did to recreate the cover per the original vision. I don't whether they had the original art where you could see the original color hold lines so if anyone knows about that feel free to jump in.

Piracy6concept.jpg

The Piracy is one of the most sophisticatedly composed comic covers I have ever seen. I have always been in awe of it.

But he didn't draw any cuddly-wuddly little bunnies! poke2.gif

I'm a huge fan Kriegstein's work when he was on a roll in the 54-55 time period. Brilliant work.

wonderful! Thanks for sharing! Tht kriegstein boo is on my xmas wish list... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

IMHO, it is the finest book produced about a comic artist. Superbly desigend and written.

Do you have the companion volume of Krigstein stories on your list?

My first major art acquistion many moons ago was a Krigstein story.

no, not yet... I buy so many back issues I can't keep up with collections... I figured I'd read about him 1st, then go back for the work

Fair enough but maybe Santa knows about Bud Plant? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Linky