• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paratrooper Golden Age Aussie books *SOLD*

33 posts in this topic

The following books were purchased on Ebay as a lot. The only reason I picked these books up is that in the lot was one paratrooper book that I'd probably never see again if I didn't make this purchase.

Selling all but that one paratrooper book here. takeit.gif has priority of PM's. Free shipping if within the 48 states. I priced them around 1/8th of their 2005 OSPG listing, some cheaper.

ALL SOLD

First Book:

Superman #5 (Australian version) (reprints #48 US copy) feature stories:

"Superman's Unlucky Day"

"Hurricane Hardy in the Sub-Micro World!"

"The Man Who Robbed The Mint" Prankster story

Grade VG

The comic is larger than a normal GA book, fits in a magazine sized bag/board

I don't see a date anywhere on the book

price $65

Superman5-1.jpg

Superman5b.jpg

SOLD

Captain Science #?

Feature Stories:

"In The Dark O' The Moon"

"The Space Pirates of Lanthus IV"

"Robots of Ra"

B&W interior

The book actually has more color than my scan shows.

Grades GD, most of the problems are seen on the back cover, staples still hold book and cover.

price $35

CPTScience1.jpg

CPTScience1b.jpg

The Panther #43 (Australian)

There's been a slew of these selling on ebay recently, gone for a decent price. Great story in B&W inside.

The book actually looks better than scan shows.

Grade: GD/VG (biggest problem is the soiling? on the back cover, some seen on inside)

price $15

Panther43.jpg

Panther43b.jpg

Daredevil #1 (Australian) Date stamp on inside cover "26 December 1964" Library copy?

I believe this copy was release at the same time as the american version.

Grade: GD+

Staples hold cover and book together, although there is a large chunk at TRC that goes through several pages (doesn't effect any interior art) B&W interior

Price $50

Daredevil1.jpg

Daredevil1b.jpg

First Book:

Superman #5 (Australian version) feature stories:

"Superman's Unlucky Day"

Grade VG

price $100

Superman5-1.jpg

Superman5b.jpg

It's from the mid 40's.

First Book:

Superman #5 (Australian version) feature stories:

"Superman's Unlucky Day"

Grade VG

price $100

Superman5-1.jpg

Superman5b.jpg

It's from the mid 40's.

pretty sure it's number 48 as I have a copy.

So it's issue #48, the first time Supes travels through time? Do you happen to have a pic of your copy for comparison?

edit: NVM checked on ebay, saw a couple #48's on there. Indeed this is the Superman #48, I'll change my price accordingly, although not at 1/8th the price because I wouldn't mind keeping it if it doesn't sell.

So it's issue #48, the first time Supes travels through time? Do you happen to have a pic of your copy for comparison?

edit: NVM checked on ebay, saw a couple #48's on there. Indeed this is the Superman #48, I'll change my price accordingly, although not at 1/8th the price because I wouldn't mind keeping it if it doesn't sell.

Para, you'll find that most aussie comics from that period were reprints of the US version as at one stage no US comics were allowed to be imported (that's from my LCS owner). So we poor aussies didn't get much of a chance to buy original issues.

Import Controls

Up to the mid-1930s, Australian newsstands were dominated by British material. England was perceived as the "Mother Country" and Australians were keen for their regular "messages from home".

During the 1940s and 1950s, the distribution of UK/European periodicals and the publication of home-grown versions continued to be favoured. US comics were kept out not just by the continuing cultural bias, but also an entrenched territorial agreement between British and American publishers, and import regulations.

The "Golden Age" of US comics (1938 to 1945) was virtually unknown in Australia. Although some US comics were available in Australia for 6d in the 1930s, this ceased by the end of the decade and the characters were known only through later reprints.

In Federal Parliament in December 1939, Senator D Cameron railed against US periodicals being dumped in Australia, affecting local writers and artists. The problem was soon solved with the start of the Second World War, when the Australian Government enforced the Import Licensing Regulation to control the spending of US dollars. From June 1940, the import of US comics was banned.

The dominant comic distributor in Australia, Gordon & Gotch (A/sia) Ltd, may have also limited access to US comics. The company had monopolistic control over British comic imports and benefited from the cultural and institutional bias against the US market.

In the 1950s, Gordon & Gotch established a censorship board and stopped distribution of some publications in response to censorship in Queensland and threats from other Australian states. The Queensland Literature Board of Review had banned some 45 publications in the first year after being established by the Objectionable Literature Act 1954. As with the creation of the US Comics Code Authority, self-censorship was most likely a means of self-preservation.

Colour Comics: Beginnings

KG Murray began reprinting National Periodical Publications material in mid-1947 when import restrictions ensured that no original DC comics were available in Australia.

The first of KG Murray's DC super-hero reprints appeared after the end of the US "Golden Age", when a flood of western, adventure, mystery and romance titles began outselling super-heroes titles in the United States.

From 1947 to 1950, KG Murray introduced a selection of reprint titles for those DC super-hero comics that survived the end of the Golden Age: Superman, Action Comics, Batman, Detective Comics, World's Finest Comics, and Adventure Comics. Of DC's continuing super-hero titles, Wonder Woman is noticeably missing from the Murray line up.

When DC premiered a rare new super-hero title in 1949 with the release of Superboy, the title was quickly picked up by KG Murray.

The Early KG Murray Format

The new DC reprint series were monthly titles following the existing Murray style, format and pricing. The titles typically included one or two stories starring the lead character, with back-up strips. Many early reprints squeezed an extra story in by printing two pages of artwork per page in landscape format.

These comics were printed on lower quality paper and generally had less pages than the US originals, weighing in at around 28 to 32 pages, including covers. Counting covers in the page count was common for British comics, which often used the same paper stock throughout and ran stories on the covers. In early Murray titles, stories frequently began or ended on the inside front and back covers.

When the Murray reprints began, the six pence (6d) cover price matched the Australian price for US import comics. The pricing then follows the guidelines reported by Roger and Edda Morrison [Morrison: 1997) for Australian comics in general. The cover price of a standard Australian comic was six pence (6d) until March 1951, when soaring newsprint prices forced an increase. From then until December 1956, the price was eight pence (8d) or nine pence (9d). From January 1957, the price rose to one shilling (1'-).

Early issues of Superman were printed in colour, under the banner "All Color Comics". By 1949, "Colour Comics" became just branding and the reprints converted to the characteristic format of black and white interiors with colour covers.

KG Murray continued with black and white reprints under the "Colour Comics Pty Ltd" banner until mid-1973. A rare exception to the black and white format was the colour reprints in Superman, Batman, Superboy and Super Adventure from mid-1956 to mid-1957.

Colour Comics: Beginnings

KG Murray began reprinting National Periodical Publications material in mid-1947 when import restrictions ensured that no original DC comics were available in Australia.

The first of KG Murray's DC super-hero reprints appeared after the end of the US "Golden Age", when a flood of western, adventure, mystery and romance titles began outselling super-heroes titles in the United States.

From 1947 to 1950, KG Murray introduced a selection of reprint titles for those DC super-hero comics that survived the end of the Golden Age: Superman, Action Comics, Batman, Detective Comics, World's Finest Comics, and Adventure Comics. Of DC's continuing super-hero titles, Wonder Woman is noticeably missing from the Murray line up.

When DC premiered a rare new super-hero title in 1949 with the release of Superboy, the title was quickly picked up by KG Murray.

The Early KG Murray Format

The new DC reprint series were monthly titles following the existing Murray style, format and pricing. The titles typically included one or two stories starring the lead character, with back-up strips. Many early reprints squeezed an extra story in by printing two pages of artwork per page in landscape format.

These comics were printed on lower quality paper and generally had less pages than the US originals, weighing in at around 28 to 32 pages, including covers. Counting covers in the page count was common for British comics, which often used the same paper stock throughout and ran stories on the covers. In early Murray titles, stories frequently began or ended on the inside front and back covers.

When the Murray reprints began, the six pence (6d) cover price matched the Australian price for US import comics. The pricing then follows the guidelines reported by Roger and Edda Morrison [Morrison: 1997) for Australian comics in general. The cover price of a standard Australian comic was six pence (6d) until March 1951, when soaring newsprint prices forced an increase. From then until December 1956, the price was eight pence (8d) or nine pence (9d). From January 1957, the price rose to one shilling (1'-).

Early issues of Superman were printed in colour, under the banner "All Color Comics". By 1949, "Colour Comics" became just branding and the reprints converted to the characteristic format of black and white interiors with colour covers.

KG Murray continued with black and white reprints under the "Colour Comics Pty Ltd" banner until mid-1973. A rare exception to the black and white format was the colour reprints in Superman, Batman, Superboy and Super Adventure from mid-1956 to mid-1957.

As per what russ said 27_laughing.gifthumbsup2.gif