• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FS: SANGOR STUDIOS/ACG Printer Proofs for Sale

4 posts in this topic

Hi gang,

I'm home sick which has given me the time to finally post these! The following is about 1/10 the number of proofs I have. My prices are based upon a mixed batch I sold on Ebay about a month ago. A few pricing guidelines: (1) the better the condition of the paper the greater the price; (2) the more pages the more it costs for the strip; (3) greater cost if colore; and (4) I'm selling complete strips for more than the incomplete strips.

BRIEF BACKGROUND (from my research and input from a few ACG collectors)

Found in a warehouse in Montreal recently, these are waht appear to be printer proofs with the stamp SANGOR on the back of many. According to my research they are likely from the 1941-55 years. SANGOR became AMERICAN COMICS GROUP (ACG) in 1948, but several of the proofs in the lot have been identified as strips from ACG comics, therefore I have deduced that they still used SANGOR pages/stamps for the proofs regardless of the company's name change. However, it is quite possible that some are in fact pre 1948 proofs since I cannot date all of the strips.

The individual strip titles are difficult to track down and date becasue as far as I can tell they were featured in SANGOR/ACG studio's HA-HA, KILROYS, and GIGGLE funny animal and humor comics (because certain ones have writing on the back indicating the title and issue #). Please consult the following link for more info regarding SANGOR & ACG:

http://www.toonopedia.com/acg.htm

Several are the works of Al Hartley, known for his good-girl art on Patsy Walker, and some early work for MARVEL. Others, such as the Karp siblings worked for Disney Studios.

EXAMPLES FOR SALE

gopher.jpg

6 pages (appears to be a complete story, even though there is no "END" written in the last panel),

By Lynn & Hubert Karp (more info here: http://www.lambiek.net/artists/k/karp_lynn.htm)

Paper is almost white with a brown stain on the first page (paper itself is very thin and somewhat see through if put up to the light - someone asked about that).

NOTE: There is NO SANGOR stamp on these. Instead the letter "G" is written on the back of each with a number.

ASKING PRICE: $25USD

alkali.jpg

7 pages complete story,

Published in ACG's Funny Films title (more info here (search for "IKE": http://www.lib.msu.edu/comics/rri/log/0505log.htm)

Paper is thick and bowning with some stains.

NOTE: SANGOR stamp present on each page with pencil marks.

marty.jpg

6 pages (appears to be a complete story, even though there is no "END" written in the last panel),

Paper is thick and bowning with some fading near the top center of the first few pages.

ASKING PRICE: $20USD

incomplete.jpg

7 pages (incomplete - missing page #1),

BIRDIE DUFEE (good girl/kind of romance/fantasy stroy)

Paper is thick and bowning. Stain on first page, and brown stains on theback of the pages.

monty.jpg

1 page complete story - colored

INFO:(Monty Monk. Entry (p. 146) in Encyclopedia of Comic Characters, by Denis Gifford (Harlow : Longman, 1987). -- Call no.: PN6707.G5 1987)

Paper is thick.

NOTE: "CINEMA" stamp present on back of page with pencil marks.

ASKING PRICE: $15USD

I hope these prices aren't outrageous. With the exception of the color page, It's only a few bucks per page. Bulk discounts are definitely available, and do not forget - I have at least 30 more, all of which are exclusive to members of this board (with the exception of those pictured in the original artboard forum)!!!!

Thanks for looking and happy collecting

news.gif

Very interesting update folks! As you know, these proofs were found in a local warehouse in Montreal, where I found TONS of CHARLTON comics going back to $0.10 covers, and the complete colored proofs of an issue of a Charlton war comics from the eighties. I found it odd to find all of these Charlton items in one place, so I asked around and I was told that some local guy supposedly bought much of Charlton's estate when they closed.

So, I did some research of my own and discovered the following:

Editor Robin Snyder oversaw the sale of some properties to their creators, though the bulk of the rights was purchased by Canadian entrepreneur Roger Broughton. He would produce several reprint titles under the company name of ACG (having also purchased the rights to the old American Comics Group properties), and announced plans to restart Charlton Comics. This had yet to occur as of the mid-2000s, beyond a few reprints.

AND

Roger Broughton is the Montreal-based publisher of Charlton Comics and American Comics Group reprint comics, under several names including "Sword in Stone" and "ACG".

His company Sword In Stone Productions purchased Charlton Comics 1986. The Comics Buyer's Guide announcement caused an avalanche of phone call that lasted for over a month. With DC buying most of the super hero titles the company concentrated on syndicating material worldwide while publishing a few titles in America. Charlton material has appeared all over Europe, Asia, South Africa. Many children titles were also reprinted by Harvey Comics. Several books mostly children titles were optioned by major film studios but never made it to the screen.

In 2002, Broughton announced a merger of ACG with a graphic design firm to form "Charlton Media Group". This new company was created in part to publish new comics and reprints featuring the Charlton and ACG characters, though, so far, no such comics have been forthcoming. This new venture does not seem to be related to the Charlton Media Group of Singapore, which produces business publications.

Now it all makes sense to me! I found items obviously once belonging to Mr. Broughton - a stack of ACG proofs and tons of CHARLTON comics. Cool find if I do say so myself. headbang.gif

A little side note: I remember buying Doomsday +1 reprints at the beginning of this decade and I thought it was cool that they were printed nearby, but I never realized that much of the Charlton estate was sitting nearby as well...

Happy collecting!