• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper Age Daredevil Thread (Miller inspired)

94 posts in this topic

Btw, are any of you copper X-Men collectors putting together Miller DD runs?

It's relatively manageable and inexpensive given that they are pretty widely availble and the run only stretches 30-odd books. Good nostalgia collecting as well.

Not yet, im too focused on X-Men right now but im thinking about doing this aswell..some really great covers.

I found Daredevil 169 to be a pain to find in NM grade. Same thing for 172. I don't know why these two in particular are so hard. confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't know if you have sigs turned on or off (I have them turned off), but 169 is one of the few books I still need to complete my run. I have seen a few 9.6 and above, but they have come up when I wasn't that active in pursuing the run or they cost more than I was willing to spend. Still looking...

Here is my copy of 172, cgc 9.6 white:

DD-172_edited.jpg

I'm pretty sure Miller was only doing writing and layouts from #185 to 190 and Janson was handling all of the pencils and inks, including the covers. It was kind of sneaky of them as Janson was the reason Miller became so identifiable from DD #158 onwards, so Jansen's transition to pencils was almost unnoticable. As i kid i really believed it was Miller. If you look at the credits to those books (185 to 190) they were blurred so nobody could really tell who was doing what between Miller and Jansen.

R.

I'm pretty sure Miller was only doing writing and layouts from #185 to 190 and Janson was handling all of the pencils and inks, including the covers. It was kind of sneaky of them as Janson was the reason Miller became so identifiable from DD #158 onwards, so Jansen's transition to pencils was almost unnoticable. As i kid i really believed it was Miller. If you look at the credits to those books (185 to 190) they were blurred so nobody could really tell who was doing what between Miller and Jansen.

R.

Yeah, I don't know the specific breakdowns of exactly who, between Miller and Jansen, contributed what portions of the art during this run, but I do believe that you are correct, or close to. I am pretty sure that I used to know this. foreheadslap.gif

I also remember that that Jansen took over the inking before eventually claiming the pencils too, as you noted. Again, I just don't recall the exact issues.

I'm also not entirely sure about his contribution to 158. Did McKenzie contribute to the writing? It was the end of his story arc. Was Miller just mopping up?

I am sure that the answers to all these questions can be found on a Miller fan-site. If someone knows the exact story, great, otherwise I'll probably look into it myself at some point or it will bother me.

R.

Yeah, I don't know the specific breakdowns of exactly who, between Miller and Jansen, contributed what portions of the art during this run, but I do believe that you are correct, or close to. I am pretty sure that I used to know this. foreheadslap.gif

I also remember that that Jansen took over the inking before eventually claiming the pencils too, as you noted. Again, I just don't recall the exact issues.

I'm also not entirely sure about his contribution to 158. Did McKenzie contribute to the writing? It was the end of his story arc. Was Miller just mopping up?

I am sure that the answers to all these questions can be found on a Miller fan-site. If someone knows the exact story, great, otherwise I'll probably look into it myself at some point or it will bother me.

That's the problem with slabs. The book are hard to read... insane.gif

I think Miller started writing with the creation of Elecktra (I know, I know) in #168. I am also quite sure Miller did not pencil #185-190. It was Miller writing and doing breakdowns.

R.

I still have fond memories of these two books.

DD-183_edited.jpg

DD-184_edited.jpg

These were the first two Miller DD's I bought off the stands. Those covers are indelibly etched into my memory, especially the "Dirty Harry" looking 184.

Great stuff

That's the problem with slabs. The book are hard to read... insane.gif

I think Miller started writing with the creation of Elecktra (I know, I know) in #168. I am also quite sure Miller did not pencil #185-190. It was Miller writing and doing breakdowns.

R.

Below is a link to the artist/wrtiter credits for Miller-era Daredevil (from Grand Comic Database).

I can't promise that it is 100% accurate, but it is certainly close:

http://www.comics.org/search.lasso?type=credit&query=frank%20miller&sort=alpha&skip=100

The story in #183 is actually the first DD story that Miller wrote. It was supposed to be published as DD#167, but the drug theme caused problems with the Comics Code Authority and it got scrapped for a couple of years. There is an original, unpublished cover to #167 with an angel dust theme from when it was supposed to contain the drug story that wound up in #183. I posted a scan of it in another thread a while ago. I'll see if I can find it.

I still have fond memories of these two books.

DD-183_edited.jpg

DD-184_edited.jpg

These were the first two Miller DD's I bought off the stands. Those covers are indelibly etched into my memory, especially the "Dirty Harry" looking 184.

Great stuff

I found Daredevil 169 to be a pain to find in NM grade. Same thing for 172. I don't know why these two in particular are so hard. confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't know if you have sigs turned on or off (I have them turned off), but 169 is one of the few books I still need to complete my run. I have seen a few 9.6 and above, but they have come up when I wasn't that active in pursuing the run or they cost more than I was willing to spend. Still looking...

Here is my copy of 172, cgc 9.6 white:

DD-172_edited.jpg

I am lucky enough to have 3 copies of 169 & 172 (If Whet is interested), do you want me to PM you with pics or post them on this thread. They are in lovely condition, but I am no expert grader and I would be willing to part with one. I actually have 3 sets of all the Miller Daredevils, 4 of some of them.