• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC Special #15 - 48 pages?

34 posts in this topic

I just bought a nice DC Special #15 at my local comic shop. It was in great shape (in my very humble opinion at least 9.2) and I like Plastic Man so I bought it not knowing if it was worth anything. I looked in my Overstreet and found it and saw that it's worth a bit more than I paid in the shape it's in so I sent it to CGC for kicks. OK.

But, here's my question by the way, Overstreet says it's a 52-page book but my book said it's a 48-page book. Same price (25 cents), etc. Does anybody know anything about this? Or is this not a big deal at all? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It all depends on whether you count the covers (front + back, inside & out). The much-heralded DC 100 Page Super-Spectaculars were only 100 pages if you counted all the covers. It made sense in that format's original incarnation since there were no ads-- a table of contents was on the inside front cover, a letters page on the inside back.

Now when DC first went to their 25 cent format, they proudly proclaimed "48 pages only 25 cents. " The Plas issue of DC Special is one of the first in this format. Another example is Batman 236. Compare Batman 240, 241 where they now claim "52 BIG pages only 25 cents." Now, I've not done a page count tonight, but I'd bet dollars to Donut (heh, heh) that this was the same page count, just with a new marketing spin.

As for Overstreet, I suspect if they've even been worried about this at all, they follow the convention of counting covers. That's the convention Howard Keltner adopted in his mammoth Golden Age Index. The first version of Keltner's book in the early 1970s was a major resource for the early Overstreet guides. (Some of Keltner's first edition errors are propagated to this day in Overstreet).

Yes, Marketing in a major way!

Took a few minutes tonight to do a page count of a couple of books I had near at hand-- in each case they had 48 interior pages and 52 pages counting in/outside front/back covers, but note the different cover blurbs! (scans from the Neal Adams fan site)

BATS236.JPGBATS241.JPG

I gotta say - I never really knew anything about Neal Adams until I saw some of the scans posted here. I have to say he is an amazingly identifiable artist. Great stuff and everytime I see an Adams scan I say to myself "Adams!" and I'm right. Gots to get me some!

I gotta say - I never really knew anything about Neal Adams until I saw some of the scans posted here.

Surely you jest. You're kidding right? 893scratch-thumb.gif

Nope - not at all. When I was doing modern and SA it was pretty much all Marvel. Then I shifted to pre-code horror and GA. Never had a chance to familiarize myself with the Adams DC stuff.

But don't be so shock-ed! I'll bet if I start talking about pre-code horror neato covers (well - I already HAVE) a ton of folks here would have no clue. Just a reflection of individual interests.

I gotta say - I never really knew anything about Neal Adams until I saw some of the scans posted here.

Sigh....let's humuliate POV! insane.gif

And after you humuliate me, you can TRY humiliating me! And folks say *I* misspell?

And after you humuliate me, you can TRY humiliating me! And folks say *I* misspell?

shocked.gifshocked.gif

shocked.gifshocked.gif

Greggy doesn't get it. makepoint.gif

As for Overstreet, I suspect if they've even been worried about this at all, they follow the convention of counting covers.

OK - so I am being tickled at for not knowing Neal Adams! but I DO know that Overstreet indeed counts covers as the page count so a book with 48 interior pages will have OFC, IFC, OBC, IBC added to the count for a total of 52. OS has been doing this for years and years! Sheesh! grin.gif

Nope - not at all. When I was doing modern and SA it was pretty much all Marvel. Then I shifted to pre-code horror and GA. Never had a chance to familiarize myself with the Adams DC stuff.

But don't be so shock-ed! I'll bet if I start talking about pre-code horror neato covers (well - I already HAVE) a ton of folks here would have no clue. Just a reflection of individual interests.

Okay, you're excused. FYI, Neal Adams drew some incredible Batman covers in the Bronze Age. Batman is the character in the gray tights, blue cape & cowl. He had a sidekick named Robin. Batman's alter ego is Bruce Wayne, a multi-millionaire playboy. Detective Comics & World's Finest are 2 more DC titles that have Batman covers by Adams. World's Finest co-stars Superman. Superman is a native Kryptonian who wears blue tights & a red cape. He has a big "S" on his chest. Adams drew Superman covers too. Hope this helps pov! laugh.gif

Okay, you're excused. FYI, Neal Adams drew some incredible Batman covers in the Bronze Age. Batman is the character in the gray tights, blue cape & cowl. He had a sidekick named Robin. Batman's alter ego is Bruce Wayne, a multi-millionaire playboy. Detective Comics & World's Finest are 2 more DC titles that have Batman covers by Adams. World's Finest co-stars Superman. Superman is a native Kryptonian who wears blue tights & a red cape. He has a big "S" on his chest. Adams drew Superman covers too. Hope this helps pov! laugh.gif

OK - let me get this straight. Batman is actually Kent Bruceson and is a millionaire news reporter from the planet Krypt-El who lusts after Lois Wayne but is stuck with some kid named ? Is that about right?

OK - let me get this straight. Batman is actually Kent Bruceson and is a millionaire news reporter from the planet Krypt-El who lusts after Lois Wayne but is stuck with some kid named ? Is that about right?

This would be funny if you were joking, but I know you're not so it's sad...... frown.gif

This would be funny if you were joking, but I know you're not so it's sad...... frown.gif

It is funny! 27_laughing.gif