• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oooooo.... Aaaaahhhh....

42 posts in this topic

Hi Arch (CGC)

Certainly a good start... especially to confirm against possible fraud

However, I was hoping to see more information that I believe many would find useful...

1. The date the book was graded... and possibly by whom (although I realize that may be a privacy issue). Knowing when the book was graded could help many of us that do have opinions on the "strictness" of CGC's grading at certain time periods. Understand that although I'm not speaking for everyone by any means, the majority of serious CGC collectors I've dealt with have some opinions in this regard. My feeling is few really fault CGC for those perceptions (accurate or not) and expected a learning curve and/or minor adjustment/fine tuning to occur as the service progressed... so this is not a disguised complaint.grin.gif

2. The graders "thumbnail" comments (as I believe they're referred to as?).

It would be nice to hear what specific defects the pre-grader and graders keyed in on as we may all become better CGC style graders by absorbing what stood out and was deemed a more significant defect, etc... I do understand the "thumbnails" are/were not intended to be a detailed analysis, but this info is available when you call in to learn more about a book and it couldn't hurt to include it in the new database?

3. I also wouldn't mind seeing the all graders grades (as again you can learn with a call).

Maybe I don't have a correct understanding of the system but consider this scenario... since the grading scale in high grade is by .2 increments (until you get to 9.9) it's obvious that you can have some "highs" and "lows" within the same grade since we are not working with .1 increments (which would be insane). Since there is arguably a little room for difference within the same grade... I'd like to know which way the opinion was leaning if possible...

For Example: If you have a choice between buying 2 CGC books of the same grade, determining the series of grades that led to the eventual CGC grade could reveal if it was a possible high or low grade in essence. If the pre-grader chose a 9.6 and the other (3?) graders went (9.4, 9.4, 9.6 ) and the CGC grade becomes a 9.4 that is usefull info when comparing it to a different CGC 9.4 that went... Pre-grader 9.2, Graders 9.2, 9.4 9.4. This probably would be a can of worms CGC would wish to avoid understandably, but if the info is available with a phone call, why not go all out, It may save some man-hours at CGC answering detailed questions.

Just my 2 cents grin.gif

Bruce

I see it now... that's very cool and useful.

I don't know if I missed that feature yesterday when I tried it out or what??

Was it there yesterday? I know there were some problems... still are... more than half the serials I enter, the database can't find?

Arch ... Here's (4) I just tried... and I believe most, if not all are books I've had for some time.

ALSO... I just saw that page quality is listed... love that... it's nice to see it here. Now that PQ information is being recorder, it seems we have the possibility of seeing a population report in the future that can be further broken down by page quality?... I'd really like to be able to ascertain how many White pagers there are.

Arch Is that in the works? Any comments to my previous post?

• Administrator

The page quality thing? I'm not sure on that one. There are two issues:

1) I don't know if page quality is actually recorded as a consistent categorizable set of data, e.g. A, B, C, whatever, or if it just takes the form of whatever note a grader wants to type in about page quality. If it's a non-standardized note, there's not much I can do. Breaking population down by that is impossible without making operational changes in how grading is done, and going back and cleaning up and standardizing the old data.

2) Regardless of #1 above, I have no idea at the moment how CGC feels about breaking out page quality. They may not WANT to provide that level of detail, depending on how they feel philosophically about page quality. I'm really not educated enough in comic grading to know one way or the other.

Arch