• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC or National Periodical Publications???

5 posts in this topic

At what point, what year, did National Periodical Publications change to DC? The reason I ask this is because sometimes, not too often, I see graded comics that will have one or the other. Sometimes goldenage books, sometimes silver age. This is just something I've noticed and thought to share it with everyone.

My own feeling on this is, we all know DC from MARVEL or any other comic company. So is noting National Periodical Publishings really nessary? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The change-over happened in late 1977 or early 1978. After Jennette Kahn replaced Carmine Infantino as publisher, but before the DC Implosion, and about the same time as the new "DC Bullet" started showing up on the top left hand corner of all the books.

Yes, today we know the difference between DC and Marvel, but some of us like to trace the Timely/Atlas/Marvel lineage from the Golden Age up til now. Likewise it is interesting to see how National Periodical Publications became DC Comics in the course of being purchased by Kinney, who then merged with Time Communications, then Time/Warner, now AOL.

I've always thought it confusing that you could refer to an issue of Superman as 'Detective Comics' Superman.'

Try going into a comic store and asking for a copy of 'Detective Comics' Detective Comics.'

Actually, it's Detective Comics Comics. So no wonder they don't get it. Next time ask for Detective Comics Comics Detective Comics, or the alternative Detective Comics Comics Comics Comics Spam Comics Comics Spam Detective Spam Spam Spam Detective Comics and Spam. There won't be a problem.

I've always thought it confusing that you could refer to an issue of Superman as 'Detective Comics' Superman.'

Try going into a comic store and asking for a copy of 'Detective Comics' Detective Comics.'

Actually, it's Detective Comics Comics. So no wonder they don't get it. Next time ask for Detective Comics Comics Detective Comics, or the alternative Detective Comics Comics Comics Comics Spam Comics Comics Spam Detective Spam Spam Spam Detective Comics and Spam. There won't be a problem.

Thanks Joanna...That's what I meant grin.gif

(I think.. crazy.gif