• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone with eBayer experience?

Should I take this guy up on his offer?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Should I take this guy up on his offer?

24 posts in this topic

I just listed some Golden Age comics on eBay. Specifically, the #1 and #2 issues of "Mask Comics" as a set.

My problem is this, a buyer has contacted me and asked how much I would like for the set if I removed the items from eBay and sold them to him.

I don't really feel right doing this after I have posted the items. Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Will

I just listed some Golden Age comics on eBay. Specifically, the #1 and #2 issues of "Mask Comics" as a set.

My problem is this, a buyer has contacted me and asked how much I would like for the set if I removed the items from eBay and sold them to him.

I don't really feel right doing this after I have posted the items. Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Will

It happens a good bit of the time. I personally have done it, and other times didn't. I will say that I felt a bit bad about it though. But, if the money is good for you, and obviously your intention is to sell it, then consider it. Make sure the buyer is legit though.

Hi Will,

I voted No as it is bad etiquette. By refusing, you're taking on the risk that the item sells for less than the offer from the person who contacted you and if they win at a lower price than they offered they walk away happy. On the other hand, their offer can be blown out of the water if fierce bidding ensues. Considering the upside you'd been walking away from by ending the auction early, bad etiquette or not, your best option is almost always to let the auction run its course anyway.

Btw, welcome to the boards.

Basically, you're going to get lowballed on price. Let the auction run its course.

Beautiful books by the way... there's no bigger fan of these two covers than I am. I already have VG copies of both, but those are enticing!

In fairness to the buyer, he did ask before the first bid was placed.

I believe everybody should have the same chance at getting these comics. I must say I have never had so many questions for any auction I've done. There seems to be a lot of interest out there.

I can understand they are so cool!

I voted no as well but I also noticed you are charging 20 bucks to ship ??? Thats a bit much isnt it ?

$20 for a registered mail package with a couple thousand US$$ of insurance is actually low in terms of what it will actually cost to send the package.

On the other hand, asking someone for $20 shipping on a multi-thousand $$ buy of a high-margin item always seems a bit....well...unnecessary.

Unless you're selling it to me, then it's wrong to cancel the auction after bids have been placed.

Seriously, I just dropped a seller from my favorite sellers list because he stopped an auction he had listed with bids by cancelling the bids and noting the book was no longer for sale.

Now I'd like an answer to my PM to you:

Is pick up available on these 2 books for the ebay winner? We have several board members from San Antonio who can pick these 2 Masks up from you and pay cash. It makes a lot of sense, for several reasons, for you to offer this option.

Anyone want to split these with me? I can't afford both, but maybe if someone wanted the Mask 1 and I could take the Mask 2 (paying the correct proportion of the value of course)....

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

PM me if interested. shy.gif

I can verify that as the original owner was my cousin. He was a country doctor for almost 30 years and never threw anything away (and I am extremely grateful for that)! thumbsup2.gif

They were bought in a very small town in South Carolina. In the 40s there was only one drug/dime store in the town.

The town phone book from the time had only about 100 people in it. And the phone numbers contained letters and numbers and were about 4 to 5 chartacters long. I'm sure the local operator hooked you up! 893whatthe.gif