• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Philadelphia Comic Book Co's Ebay Auctions - Silver/Gold Keys

14 posts in this topic

Do you guys set up at shows? Are books available for viewing in person? As someone who lives in Philly, and collects exclusively vintage books, i've never heard of you guys, so I'm curious -- grading, pricing etc and determining what the quality is there.

Philadelphia Comic Book Company is a new business, but I've been a gold/silver collector and mail-order/Ebay dealer in the Philadelphia area for about 20 years. If you go to the monthly Philadelphia Comic Con, I'm almost always there as a buyer. I may set up a table there as a seller in 2007. You also may have seen me at either Fat Jack's Comic Crypt or Legends (The Comic Stop), two stores I worked at from about '89 to '95.

The www.philadelphiacomicbookcompany.com website has only been up for a month, and I'm adding more books to it every week. There is no physical storefront, but if you'd like to see the books in person I'm sure it could be arranged.

Philadelphia Comic Book Company is a new business, but I've been a gold/silver collector and mail-order/Ebay dealer in the Philadelphia area for about 20 years. If you go to the monthly Philadelphia Comic Con, I'm almost always there as a buyer. I may set up a table there as a seller in 2007. You also may have seen me at either Fat Jack's Comic Crypt or Legends (The Comic Stop), two stores I worked at from about '89 to '95.

The www.philadelphiacomicbookcompany.com website has only been up for a month, and I'm adding more books to it every week. There is no physical storefront, but if you'd like to see the books in person I'm sure it could be arranged.

That'd be great. I've been to both Fat Jack's and Legends (though now Legends is defunct I believe)... I am at the monthly Philadelphia Comic Con for about the past 8 years. It'd be nice if there was some new blood in that room -- espeically since Koop has faded out of that show, and Al Stoltz and Jeff Weaver have drastically reduced their presence. Even Gene Carpenter has missed the last two shows.

With the books you are selling, obviously there is going to be some interest... and I am certainly very interested in what you've got.

Here's the other thing, the people on these boards are tough, strict graders. Those books are fairly overgraded, and when you are talking those prices for keys, accuracy is important. The Action 252 for instance, has many pen scribbles all over the back... I'd question the grade with the general wear on the book regardless, but certainly not with all those pen scribbles.

I've looked through the other scans, and I'm not going to go through one by one. You seem legitimate and honest in trying to build your business, but starting off with advertising on these boards with loose grading is going to turn people off in the long run to your auctions.

Here's the other thing, but the people on these boards are tough, strict graders. Those books are fairly overgraded, and when you are talking those prices for keys, accuracy is important. The Action 252 for instance, has many pen scribbles all over the back... I'd question the grade with the general wear on the book regardless, but certainly not with all those pen scribbles.

I've looked through the other scans, and I'm not going to go through one by one. You seem legitimate and honest in trying to build your business, but starting off with advertising on these boards with loose grading is going to turn people off in the long run to your auctions.

RF, FWIW:

It's not very often that someone bothers to tell a seller on these boards they need to get their grading up to snuff (at least in cordial constructive way). IMO you really need to pause, take a step back, and get some grading skills over the next few months before you kill your chances of ever selling any books (under your current ebay and boards handle). As FK said, these boards are full of people who know their *spoon*, very few who do not, and most dismissed your acutions after the first few nanoseconds of perusal. If you're in it for the long run, you really need to become an accurate and somewhat conservative grader to ever deal on these boards. On ebay, you can get away with being lax, but you'll lose the true informed buyer.

There are handful of examples of noobs who came on here, got a dose of *spoon*, but took it in and worked things out to become successful here. But most disappeared.

To his credit... I appreciate the large scans of front and back of the books so we can make an educated choice on the grade ourselves. thumbsup2.gif

Oh with that I agree... that's why I'm not just out there ripping him -- the grading needs to be reevaluated, but often times people need to relook at their grading -- we can tell he's an interested motivated seller not looking to rip people off by the scans and his effort I believe. On the other hand, the pricing and grading certainly need work.

I appreciate all the feedback, everyone. I am committed to building this business into a respected source of quality books at both fair prices and grades, so I will re-double my efforts to make this happen.

So, any feedback about the website? (I'm almost afraid to ask) Ease of navigation, searching, layout, scans?

I think the website is easy to use but the layout isn't necessarily the best aesthetically. Contact Bronzebruce13 -- I'm sure he could help with some of the graphic design and layout issues -- perhaps you could hire him for web design stuff...

The big issue with any site is: Is the grading accurate? and are the prices fair?

I looked at your return policies, but I'd also make a statement about your policy regarding restored books. If a book is found to be restored, it will likely be more than 7 days later -- what happens then?

I'd flesh out a little more in the "about us" section. It's a little sparse on the background.

I would also indicate if you are open to negotiations. Mid grade books (even accurately graded) do not sell unless discounted 25-50% generally, as with most dealers, it is easy to obtain those discounts. Especially since what a lot of you have in the line of silver is mid grade DC -- which in my experience is plentiful in low/mid grade and does not move unless discounted with accurate grading.

In being successful, fair and accurate pricing and grading will build a big customer base in the future, ensure good word of mouth regarding your business and allow you to find quality material if you are thought of as a reliable dealer.

I'd also take a look at Bob Storms' site, www.highgradecomics.com as one of the better examples of how to do it. Plus, blazingbob is a dealer on this site with an excellent reputation who knows how to run a successful business.

I like the layout of your website. Very easy to navigate.

Most GA are way overpriced for the true grade. But that is not uncommon for many websites. The price you set should be somewhat influenced by the rate at which can restock your GA inventory.

Thanks again for the feedback. I will be incorporating most (if not all) of your suggestions over the next few weeks. Some of them were already on my 'to-do' list, such as repricing the low to mid-grade silver and bronze. I'm a quick learner. wink.gif

To be honest, I was looking forward for someone to post a nice Action 252 and when I saw its a 7.0 for $600, I would have bought it in a second...but after seeing the book, no way would that be a 7.0 and the price your asking $600 is the high price for a nice 6.0- 6.5 book. i'll check out your site later. Thanks