• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do artists make more money from the publishers...

26 posts in this topic

I was curious about this very question -- how much does an artist make from a comic book? So I went looking for page rates for Marvel and DC.

Happily, I lucked upon a Newsarama blog that addresses the question. (I still don't know how to add a proper link to this board. If someone can PM me, I'll try to post it.) On the blog, it was said that a new artist, doing pencils for Marvel Age FF, would get $175 a page, $262.50 for the cover, and gross $4112.50 for the typical 22-page book.

But Mark Millar, who oughta know, disagreed. He wrote: I don’t know the Marvel Age figures, but that’s certainly much lower than any artist I know working at Marvel, DC, Top Cow or even Harris. I can’t say how much the NAME artists get but it’s HUGELY more than that. HUGELY. Even average guys are getting twice that. I

Millar put in the capital letters, not me. He also wrote that comics are a fantastic and lucrative way to make a living.

Exactly. You don't realize how many low-end pages are out there until you start thinking about all of the OA that you aren't looking for.

So Larry, how many pages do you want? I have hundreds on my site that fall into the $30 or less category...just tell me how many you're looking to buy, and I'll put a care package together for you. I can even go down to $25/pg if you're looking to buy 500 at once. A dash of Sonic the Hedgehog here, a sprinkle of Betty and Veronica there, top with a bit of Masks: Too Hot for TV or perhaps a bit of Body Doubles...season to taste, and voila!

jjeanius. i gotta give it up to you sir . your correct there are tons of low end art out there that most people don,t want . sonic. archie. masks. even pages from marvel and dc books that have nothing going on in them. those will always be a hard sale.

but my question was about main stream guys that we all have heard of a least those not in the top 2% superstars are not living below the proverty level. so yes you are correct that there is a ton of artwork out there that.s below $ 30.00 but most collectors on this board collect super hero art and some horror with a few comic strips tossed in. by guys they at least heard of and will only buy what they like not because it cheap

would i buy a steve ditko page with two guys standing around gabbing about nothing for 30.00 heck yes ,where do i get in line for that. would i buy a page with 2 guys standing around gabbing about nothing from some new artist working for marvel or dc on his very first book and pay him $ 30.00 i think not. if any thing i would buy a page that i like and pay him more. i checked out your site nice stuff, i seen lots of pages on there for 30.00 and less. it.s just none them were my cup of tea. now i did see some very nice stuff. that you had in the high hundred.s

so again my whole point was if you are a current comic artist and you are working on a standard monthly book for marvel / dc or maybe top cow, most of those guys are making 3 to 5.000 a month, to me that,s not starving. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

larry.]

I was curious about this very question -- how much does an artist make from a comic book? So I went looking for page rates for Marvel and DC.

Happily, I lucked upon a Newsarama blog that addresses the question. (I still don't know how to add a proper link to this board. If someone can PM me, I'll try to post it.) On the blog, it was said that a new artist, doing pencils for Marvel Age FF, would get $175 a page, $262.50 for the cover, and gross $4112.50 for the typical 22-page book.

But Mark Millar, who oughta know, disagreed. He wrote: I don’t know the Marvel Age figures, but that’s certainly much lower than any artist I know working at Marvel, DC, Top Cow or even Harris. I can’t say how much the NAME artists get but it’s HUGELY more than that. HUGELY. Even average guys are getting twice that. I

Millar put in the capital letters, not me. He also wrote that comics are a fantastic and lucrative way to make a living.

humm i would never tell mark miller he,s wrong. after all we do have the same last name 27_laughing.gif. but i think the guy should know what he,s taking about . he is working in the industry. thanks for listing the above blog report.

but thoses rate sound right to me. i knew artist were getting a lot more than an $ 100 an page for there work. i just did not buy that 98% percent of the industry are broke artist.s or at least are not starving. and what they sell there work for on the after market is there biz.s headbang.gif

larry ;]

Actually, you don't have the same last name...his last name is MillAr. ;-)

Anyway, "average" DC page rate for inkers is $120/page. Pencillers probably get a bit more...so those numbers do indeed sound correct. So $4000/month is NOT a lot of money. And that's IF you can get consistent work month-in and month-out. It's feast or famine...some months you may have two books to do...other months you may be out of work.

Actually, you don't have the same last name...his last name is MillAr. ;-)

Anyway, "average" DC page rate for inkers is $120/page. Pencillers probably get a bit more...so those numbers do indeed sound correct. So $4000/month is NOT a lot of money. And that's IF you can get consistent work month-in and month-out. It's feast or famine...some months you may have two books to do...other months you may be out of work.

jjeanius. whopps like you got me again. see what happen.s when i take my glasses off for a second. anyway millar is close enough for me. 27_laughing.gif kinda like you say tomato i say toomatto ;]

but thanks, on your posts i really enjoy our banter on the subject and hopefully some board members may have learned a thing or too. like my self. see ya around.

thumbsup2.gif

larry ;]