• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Took a gamble....

25 posts in this topic

I traded some stuff in to the local comic shop the other week and had a few extra bucks to spend. Then while browsing ebay last week I came across the following books. They looked nice so I took a gamble on them and didn't ask a question or a better picture. Looks like I'll get them tomorrow or Friday. I'll let you know if it was good or bad when they arrive.

Suzie 81

Wilbur 38

Wilbur 39

Archie's Rival Reggie 3

Archie's Pal Jughead 6

Well I just opened the shipping package. She packed well. They were sandwhiched between to very think sheets of cardboard and each comic was in an extra large Ziplock bag. Let me scan them and I'll pass on the grades. I think I did alright on the gamble after the intial look of them. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Suzie Comics 81 - June 1951

Looks like a little color has been lifted off the cover from stacking around the "E". Only a few tiny spine stress marks and they barely break break color. The back is beautiful. Offwhite to white pages and retains a slight gloss. Sharp corners all around. I'm in the air as far as the color lift on the "E" in the title. Ideas on grade?

Suzie81VF.jpg

Suzie81bVF.jpg

Wilbur 38 - October 1951

This copy has almost white pages. Slight gloss. Does have a little spine wear and a crease at the top by right corner. On the back there a 3 light creases about 2 inches each in length going vertical. I'm thinking 6.5 on this one. Guide in 6.0 is $27 so I did okay at $20.

Wilbur38F.jpg

Wilbur38bF.jpg

Archie's Rival Reggie - 1951

This copy has nice deep inks, offwhite pages. Spine stress by top staple and a slight crease by the "R" in Reggie. The major bummer is the top right corner crease. Back cover is really nice and glossy. Sharp corners all around. I'm thinking 5.5 maybe a 6.0. Guide in 6.0 is $93. I paid $56 so not too bad.

ArchiesRivalReggie3.jpg

ArchiesRivalReggie3b.jpg

Archie's Pal Jughead 6 - June 1951

This is the worst condition of the bunch. Cover has slight edge tanning but the interiors are in the cream to offwhite. Manufactured with one staple and a few interiors pages are out of alignment because of this. Spine was scuffing and wear and a small tear by the "J" in Jughead. I would grade this at a VG. Guide in 4.0 is $62. I did well paying $16.50.

ArchiesPalJughead6VG.jpg

ArchiesPalJughead6bVG.jpg