• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will there ever appear a comic collection to surpass the Edgar Church pedigree??

95 posts in this topic

Are you telling me that if a collection of Silver Age books, containing Mint (Yes I mean 10.0) copies of the entire line of the Great Marvel tiltes: Amazing Fantasy/ Spiderman, Journey Into Mystery/Thor, Incredible Hulk , Fantastic Four, Strange Tales, (you get the drift) would not surpass the Mile High collection? Even if there were only around 5,000 books in the collection. Although not surpassed in quantity, the Silver Age Collection (pennynike 1 for general reference) collection would be primo IMHO. Maybe thats just me. Of course the odds of finding a collection such I describe above is truly remote. Oh well.

Yes, I am most definitely telling you that I would take the 22,000 Edgar Church collection over your 5,000 run of SA Marvel titles. As would 99% of all collectors would. Without a moment's hesitation and without any second thoughts at all.

You have to remember that Marvels are actually quite common, even in high grade except for a very few of the really really early issues. A large portion of the Church books, on the other hand, are simply not available in any grade, let alone high grade. To me, this is an absolute no-brainer.

You should also realize that a pure 10.0 Marvel collection is not anywhere close to reality, especially since you can't even consistently get 10.0 books off the printing presses right now.

And the chances of picking them up for 10 cents a copy is even less remote. gossip.gif

Are you telling me that if a collection of Silver Age books, containing Mint (Yes I mean 10.0) copies of the entire line of the Great Marvel tiltes: Amazing Fantasy/ Spiderman, Journey Into Mystery/Thor, Incredible Hulk , Fantastic Four, Strange Tales, (you get the drift) would not surpass the Mile High collection?

Yes.

Yup. I think your 10.0 example is so far fetched as not to create a real comparison, but look at collections like Pacific Coast or Curator, that have average grades of 9.6, including many keys. Yet NOBODY speaks of these pedigrees in the same breath as the Church pedigree.

Adjust your time frames forward, and you are talking about walking into some old lady's house today and finding a collection of books that start in about 1963 and run through 1984. Start talking about the value of the Mile High collection in 1977 dollars and projecting them forward, and you're talking about the likelihood of walking into a garage today where there are 22,000 comics from 1963 to 1984 that are worth $750,000 in current guide...

Frankly, that isn't even close to impossible...

That may all be well and good, but how does finding a collection of 22,000 comics from 1963 to 1984 come even close to surpassing the Church collection? There are actually several great ultra-HG pedigrees that run from the early 60s into at least the late 70s (and in the case of the Western Penn pedigree, it does run into the mid-1980s and later). Even if these collections had 22,000 books, no one in their right mind would say these collections rank even equal to the Church collection, let alone surpass it.

Are you telling me that if a collection of Silver Age books, containing Mint (Yes I mean 10.0) copies of the entire line of the Great Marvel tiltes: Amazing Fantasy/ Spiderman, Journey Into Mystery/Thor, Incredible Hulk , Fantastic Four, Strange Tales, (you get the drift) would not surpass the Mile High collection? Even if there were only around 5,000 books in the collection. Although not surpassed in quantity, the Silver Age Collection (pennynike 1 for general reference) collection would be primo IMHO. Maybe thats just me. Of course the odds of finding a collection such I describe above is truly remote. Oh well.

Mint is 9.9. Gem Mint is 10.0. tongue.gif

foreheadslap.gif You used to get beat up a lot when you were a kid, didn't you? poke2.gif

Don't all comic geeks get beat up a lot? crazy.gif

foreheadslap.gif You used to get beat up a lot when you were a kid, didn't you? poke2.gif

Actually, no. confused-smiley-013.gif

That's exactly what I would expect someone who used to get beat up a lot to say.

Er, OK, then yes I did? No, that doesn't get the message across either, does it. screwy.gif

That's exactly what I would expect someone who used to get beat up a lot to say.

Er, OK, then yes I did? No, that doesn't get the message across either, does it. screwy.gif

acclaim.gif

acclaim.gif

Your mother turned tricks in your neighborhood to put food on the table, didn't she?

acclaim.gif

Your mother turned tricks in your neighborhood to put food on the table, didn't she?

893whatthe.gif