• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will there ever appear a comic collection to surpass the Edgar Church pedigree??

95 posts in this topic

A collection or a pedigree?

I am positive that someone out there has a very extensive collection, all stored in mylar and humidity controlled and cared for far better then Edgar did his collection.

But Uberman, apparently his storage methods were the best of all time! They sat there for decades and came out looking news stand fresh!!! No other collection as better cared for in my opinion.

I am positive that someone out there has a very extensive collection, all stored in mylar and humidity controlled and cared for far better then Edgar did his collection.

But Uberman, apparently his storage methods were the best of all time! They sat there for decades and came out looking news stand fresh!!! No other collection as better cared for in my opinion.

There was more than an element of providence in his storage methods - the comics were in a basement in a climate beneficial to paper preservation, he basically piled them high unbagged and never touched them, and no-one else was interested in the collection during his lifetime. Until Chuck walked in....

What could they have thrown out? Everything that was important[at least to us] was still there when chucky appearerd

Pulps.

If I remember Chuck's story right, there was a room in the house that was completely empty, except for a built-in book shelf full of pulps. There must have been a leak in the roof, as water had got to them, and they were all stuck together. Chuck said he couldn't help but think that the room had probably been full of pulps that Edgar's kids had dispensed with before he'd arrived.

I heard speculation that there might have been funny animal books in there as well. Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't there almost no humor books in the collection?

There are comparatively few funny animal books in the collection and there is speculation about the extra room containing a substantial stash of them. Without one of the heirs talking to us, it's hard to say we'll ever know. Maybe he just didn't like funny animals and the few that we know were in the collection were basically picked up by mistake?

How many in this 22,000 pedigree are war books? It would be nice to see a listing if one is available.

There are certainly a few, starting with the first series devoted to War. War comics as a genre really became proflic during the Korean War, which was during the tail end of Church's prime collecting days. During WWII there was a tremendous emphasis on incorporating the war and war themes into every other genre, espcially superhero books.

There might even be a Church paratrooper book or two. wink.gif

War4.jpg

How many in this 22,000 pedigree are war books? It would be nice to see a listing if one is available.

There are approx 18,000 books in the collection. I may have helped propagate the 22,000 figure -- but that's the number of books pictured in the Gerber Guide. tonofbricks.gif

I am positive that someone out there has a very extensive collection, all stored in mylar and humidity controlled and cared for far better then Edgar did his collection. So yes, I do believe there is a collection out there to rival the Edgar Church collection.

Do I thing there is an original owner collection out there similar in size being stored in someone's spare bedroom and will be found by some kid and bought for relatively cheaply which will then be recognized as a pedigree? Not likely.

If someone has books in mylar, they would only have been put in there after Gerber developed the machine to create mylar bags in the late 70s. Archivest and preservationists are still working through the science behind the best storage method for books. The Church, Vancouver and Salida methods seemed to have worked out pretty well without involving any sophisticated technology..

No Nedors titles or funny animal type book to speak of in the church collection make you wonder if the family tossed all those books out.

On the contrary. LOTS of Nedor Church books. cloud9.gif

Sorry my bad! I thought one of the major GA publishers books were not present in the Church collection?

No Nedors titles or funny animal type book to speak of in the church collection make you wonder if the family tossed all those books out.

Sorry my bad! I thought one of the major GA publishers books were not present in the Church collection?

Maybe you're thinking of the absence of Nedors in the Reilly pedigree?

War4.jpg

The only thing wrong with the Church copies are the often dull colors. hail.gif

And the fugly pencil marks stooges.gif

Only on the front cover. confused-smiley-013.gif

War4back.jpg

Maybe you're thinking of the absence of Nedors in the Reilly pedigree?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Adam,

What a great looking book! I have never seen that cover before or at least never noticed it. It is amazing how many comics in the Gerber books don't really jump out at me until I see a full size scan.

Ken

There are certainly a few, starting with the first series devoted to War. War comics as a genre really became proflic during the Korean War, which was during the tail end of Church's prime collecting days. During WWII there was a tremendous emphasis on incorporating the war and war themes into every other genre, espcially superhero books.

There might even be a Church paratrooper book or two. wink.gif

War4.jpg

There was more than an element of providence in his storage methods - the comics were in a basement in a climate beneficial to paper preservation, he basically piled them high unbagged and never touched them, and no-one else was interested in the collection during his lifetime. Until Chuck walked in....

Yup... the Church Pedigree is the result of the perfect storm of elements conducive to preserving newsprint.

BTW, do any of the Church books suffer from stacking curl? That is, NOT spine roll, but when there is a slight curl on the spine from being stacked? Unless every book in all the the stacks was PERFECTLY aligned, there'd have to be some books with stacking curl...

confused-smiley-013.gif

Yup... the Church Pedigree is the result of the perfect storm of elements conducive to preserving newsprint.

BTW, do any of the Church books suffer from stacking curl? That is, NOT spine roll, but when there is a slight curl on the spine from being stacked? Unless every book in all the the stacks was PERFECTLY aligned, there'd have to be some books with stacking curl...

confused-smiley-013.gif

I've seen a lot of Church copies and don't recall any with more than insignificant spine roll. Fishler or Verzyl can provide a better answer to the question.