• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Cerification Course

42 posts in this topic

This question may have already been addressed in the past but I was wondering if CGC ever thought about venturing into or branching the business to include an on-site training course where dealers and interested collectors would be given an opportunity to "learn the ropes". Such as a 3 day course that teaches a prospective grader how to, of course, grade. But also better detect restoration and page quality. Although grading is subjective, I thought it would provide a uniform standard that could branch across the dealer network and give more integrity to the hobby.

For example, a dealer or collector that might set up shop at a con completes the course and receives his certification certificate (make the certificate counterfeit proof with certain holograms or watermarks embedded in the paper) this certificate could then be displayed so folks know that the person may have more integrity when it comes to grading. I know overgrading is a symptom of greed in the industry, or honest ignorance. Then the individual who is certified would have to renew the certification annually by submitting books with grade and PQ along with their own notes to continue to be certified.

I think this would provide more equality, educate collectors further which would help weed out a lot of overgrading as the consumer would be well informed, especially if he or she took part in the course. CGC, for example, would make money, which is what a company is in business to do.

I don't know the legalities of this thought but CGC could protect their interests by incorporating a clause that does not allow the individual to start their own grading company based on the training given so the person couldn't become direct competition for CGC.

Anyways, it seems as a collective community we want to see more equality and integrity in the hobby and this was my contribution along that thought process. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think it will be a cold day in hell before CGC does anything of the sort.. tongue.gif

CGC wont give out their grading criterias.... educating collectors/dealers in their grading would have a great many disadvantages for CGC:

-after a while, by word of mouth all CGC collectors would know how their grading works, thus being able to with almost flawless precision estimate the grade a given book would get by CGC. That in itself, would make CGC obsolete as noone would need to actually submit a book to see what grade it would get.

- if grading criterias is in writing, that means that CGC would have to be 1000% consistent when grading, otherwise people would loose faith in the company. Now they survive on the "mystery" somewhat still sourrounding their standards, and even so, they need to "change" their standards once in a while to maintain the attractiveness of getting books certified (like rumours about old labels / new labels where most people agree that old label books are graded tougher.)

In short, if everyone could look at a book and with 96% precision say "hey this will get a 9.2 by CGC, then they would loose their foundation for existence.....

well... just my twocent.... sorry for typing errors, but im very hungover this morning and dont wanna bother poke2.gif

I think it will be a cold day in hell before CGC does anything of the sort.. tongue.gif

CGC wont give out their grading criterias.... educating collectors/dealers in their grading would have a great many disadvantages for CGC:

-after a while, by word of mouth all CGC collectors would know how their grading works, thus being able to with almost flawless precision estimate the grade a given book would get by CGC. That in itself, would make CGC obsolete as noone would need to actually submit a book to see what grade it would get.

- if grading criterias is in writing, that means that CGC would have to be 1000% consistent when grading, otherwise people would loose faith in the company. Now they survive on the "mystery" somewhat still sourrounding their standards, and even so, they need to "change" their standards once in a while to maintain the attractiveness of getting books certified (like rumours about old labels / new labels where most people agree that old label books are graded tougher.)

In short, if everyone could look at a book and with 96% precision say "hey this will get a 9.2 by CGC, then they would loose their foundation for existence.....

well... just my twocent.... sorry for typing errors, but im very hungover this morning and dont wanna bother poke2.gif

The awareness of grading is much more prevelant now then when CGC first started. There's no magic to grading and someone with enough time to R&R constant results of books being graded can easily evolve the patterns. It's not like keeping the formula for Coca-Cola secret.

I thought along that line as well, but CGC isn't only about the ability of employees to grade, the company has the market cornered due to having the facilities and resources in place which still keeps them a step above the competition. It is very tough for a start-up company to break into a market such as this one because CGC is seen as the standard and brand recognition and reputation go a long way in the market place. There is also nothing wrong with competition as it drives awareness and ultimately does increase growth, why do you think similar companies set up shop in close geographic proximity to each other.

It's not like keeping the formula for Coca-Cola secret.

Hey Hey Hey....

No-one gets to know the magic ingredients of Coke.

That would be putting me out of a job & then how am I gunna pay for my funny books. sumo.gif

I used to love Coca-Cola. But when they changed to new coke back in 1985 then supposedly switched back I suspect that they have slowly been changing the formula (secretly) to avoid attention but were adamant about changing it all along.

These days it tastes like a mix of pepsi and old coke to make it somewhere in-between. I suppose that my taste buds have changed slightly, but I can't believe it's the same formula used in 1984.

Were you working for coca-cola before 1985? And have you heard anyone say what I just did? confused-smiley-013.gif

I totally agree. CGC's whole value proposition revolves around the illusion that they are the only true experts who can do what everyone else can't -- grade objectively, accurately, consistantly and detect resto.

Why in heaven would they hand over the keys to the kingdom to a bunch of schnook dealers and collectors... cutting their own throats in the process?

It doesn't have to be CGC that teaches such a course. Just a well respected individual in the industry. Perhaps holding seminars during some of the major conventions.

I'd be happy to teach anyone how to grade for a modest fee...

Its a cool idea but I doubt it would ever happen. But some say CGC standards are secret? Nothing secret about it. They dont disclose their formula to avoid criticism. CGC didnt re-invent comic grading. They brought in consistency. Since it seems we never agree on so many things anyway so why open the doors. Everyone agree on this?? 27_laughing.gif

It doesn't have to be CGC that teaches such a course. Just a well respected individual in the industry. Perhaps holding seminars during some of the major conventions.

That sounds like a great business opportunity? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That sounds like a great business opportunity? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think so too Totem!

The nice by-product would be that 9.4 and up comics would be tougher and tougher to find...as they should be!

angel.gif

CGC didnt re-invent comic grading.

In a way they actually did. The formulated their grading criteria by consulting with Overstreet Advisors, dealers, and books like the Overstreet Grading Guide. They then took an amalgam of these ideas and mixed it with their own ideals and there we have it, a grading system unique to CGC and CGC alone.

I consider myself fairly adept at grading with my limited experience and Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide in hand, but would love to hone my skills. I would pay to spend some time in a course on grading and/or resto detection. The more accurate graders we get in the pipeline, the cleaner our transactions can become. Tremendous opportunity for someone who has the skills and time to set this up. Just my opinion........ 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

yay.gifChris

I consider myself fairly adept at grading with my limited experience and Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide in hand, but would love to hone my skills. I would pay to spend some time in a course on grading and/or resto detection. The more accurate graders we get in the pipeline, the cleaner our transactions can become. Tremendous opportunity for someone who has the skills and time to set this up. Just my opinion........ 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

yay.gifChris

Grading and restro detection could be two seperate classes.

At a major con perhaps 45 mins each 3 of each class per day 20 -30 people at $20 bucks a head. Big money! 7-10 grand for a 3 day con 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It's not like keeping the formula for Coca-Cola secret.

Hey Hey Hey....

No-one gets to know the magic ingredients of Coke.

That would be putting me out of a job & then how am I gunna pay for my funny books. sumo.gif

I used to love Coca-Cola. But when they changed to new coke back in 1985 then supposedly switched back I suspect that they have slowly been changing the formula (secretly) to avoid attention but were adamant about changing it all along.

These days it tastes like a mix of pepsi and old coke to make it somewhere in-between. I suppose that my taste buds have changed slightly, but I can't believe it's the same formula used in 1984.

Were you working for coca-cola before 1985? And have you heard anyone say what I just did? confused-smiley-013.gif

Speaking of this, do you think a 8 pack of bottles unopened are worth anything. I have a old fridge in the basement and they have been sitting there in the spare. Always getting pushed around when needing extra space for those groceries that are on sale. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif thinking about it damn those bottle are over 20 yrs old.

I've actually had several conversations with someone pretty high up in the convention arena about this very subject.Its a definite possibility for the 2007 convention season.

I've actually had several conversations with someone pretty high up in the convention arena about this very subject.Its a definite possibility for the 2007 convention season.

This is what I was getting at folks!!! I think it would positively impact the hobby and for the right person with the time, resources, determination & ethics could be also lucrative for an enterprising individual. It would have to be someone that is respected, trusted and already known to probably draw folks in to have crediblity. You could also include guests such as major restoration artists to speak about detection and so on.