• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Target Comics

68 posts in this topic

Target Comics easily rank as some of my very favorite books, with some of the top talent in the industry. They remind me of Centaurs all the way.

For example, here's the first White Streak cover on issue # 2, March 1940, with an Everett (aka Blake) cover. Interior art from Everett, Burgos, Simon, Cole, and Tarpe Mills...a veritable Who's Who from the Golden Age!

Great stuff...and this is the Cosmic Aeroplane copy.

100_0909.jpg

STEVE

You're welcome, Peter - I don't have my Targets with me at the moment (the above picture is an older photo I had stored), but I'll be glad to pull and shoot them.

In the meantime, here's the Target 8 (Larson copy), another older pic cross-posted from the First Grey Tone thread...enjoy!

100_0998.jpg

STEVE

Gorgeous, gorgeous books. hail.gifhail.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

those are indeed beautiful funnybooks. but you know the one i don't get? that so-called highly desirable Wolverton cover, spacehawk or something, that does not a thing for me. anybody else see it this way?

Now that is one incredible book. First washtone cover?

Thanks october - I obtained the book from Metropolis as raw, but later learned that its cover had been cleaned (probably to get rid of foxing).

The first grey tone, if I recall correctly, is Amazing Mystery Funnies 2/5.

STEVE

those are indeed beautiful funnybooks. but you know the one i don't get? that so-called highly desirable Wolverton cover, spacehawk or something, that does not a thing for me. anybody else see it this way?

I'm not a huge Wolverton fan either. I actually acquired a piece of Wolverton late 30s Pulp OA 15 years ago in a trade. I couldn't get rid of it for the next year...no one really seemed to like it. Of course, I wonder what it would go for now in a Heritage auction..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Billy, you're talking about Target 7...I think it's a great book!

I had obtained the 7 from Metropolis as unrestored, but later learned that it had been worked on (cover cleaned and tear seal) so I sold it and never replaced it (so no scan forthcoming from me, sorry).

STEVE

Thanks october - I obtained the book from Metropolis as raw, but later learned that its cover had been cleaned (probably to get rid of foxing).

STEVE

Interesting. What about Adventure 42? That would have to figure into the early washtone mix somehow. Wasn't there a thread on this somewhere? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

STEVE

Interesting. What about Adventure 42? That would have to figure into the early washtone mix somehow. Wasn't there a thread on this somewhere? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes. That's where we decided the earliest was AMF 2/5

Really nice copies, Jon.

(should I mention that I have the Larson Target 4? 27_laughing.gif)

STEVE

steve, DON'T DO IT!

and i know i'm apparently in the minority on that 7, it just looks odd to me, and not in a good way.

Gotta love Wolverton art.....just so "intestinal"

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece...at=0&UCat=0

One of these days, we should start a thread "Larson copies only". Be a great way to see how many of the 1000 we could get to....jon

You know, that's an excellent idea...might be able to piece a part of the collection back again.

I have about 5% (50) of the Larsons...I'm guessing you're about 15-20%?

STEVE

Sorry, I'm not with you on that one!

cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

1541826-TARGET%237loresPOST.jpg

Wish I could find more Target's, but they are TOUGH! Seems like they are pricier than Centaurs as well. Steve? Steve?

589a91d89bdf5_1541826-TARGET7loresPOST.jpg.ada17f767e102c89b3aed79bf282bdaa.jpg