• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Target Comics

68 posts in this topic

One of these days, we should start a thread "Larson copies only". Be a great way to see how many of the 1000 we could get to....jon

You know, that's an excellent idea...might be able to piece a part of the collection back again.

I have about 5% (50) of the Larsons...I'm guessing you're about 15-20%?

STEVE

Exactly ...about 160 or so....

I think that would merit instant "Thread of the Year" consideration. hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

While I can't speak for all the younger GA collectors on this board, I know I haven't had many first-hand experiences with Larsons simply because they rarely come up for sale and are generally buried in long-standing collections.

It would be great to have a "virtual museum" in the form of a thread of one of the best GA Pedigrees around.

I got into Larson intially by accident. I was interested in pre-supes books and often it would be a Larson I would get....then i found him....and golly gee, i always viewed them as the "poor man's" Church books covering 1936-1941- the heart of the time i was interested in....

I got into Larson intially by accident. I was interested in pre-supes books and often it would be a Larson I would get....then i found him....and golly gee, i always viewed them as the "poor man's" Church books covering 1936-1941- the heart of the time i was interested in....

Same here, Jon - Larsons were often the only copies of certain books available at the time.

So, between us we have about 20% of the collection...only 800 more books to go! 27_laughing.gif

STEVE

So what is it about Larsons that you guys find so appealing and is there anyone here who's hot for SanFrancisco copies?

Good question.....speaking for myself back in the late 80s early 90s there were not the proliferation of so called pedigrees that every accumulation of books get nowadays.....no matter their condition, Larsons always have WHITE pages.....many Larsons are nicer than their Church counterpart. Larsons also cover that particular time slot where i focus collecting (1936-41)..However, I have a bone to pick with that mouse that nibbled on some of the books.....

It was that mania that had me find Larson, and it further "humanized" this pedigree.....Are larsons the best pedigree?...no......I am just a sucker for white pages and 1000 books collection that has some of the hardest to find hardcore GA....jon

So what is it about Larsons that you guys find so appealing and is there anyone here who's hot for SanFrancisco copies?

Good question.....speaking for myself back in the late 80s early 90s there were not the proliferation of so called pedigrees that every accumulation of books get nowadays.....no matter their condition, Larsons always have WHITE pages.....many Larsons are nicer than their Church counterpart. Larsons also cover that particular time slot where i focus collecting (1936-41)..However, I have a bone to pick with that mouse that nibbled on some of the books.....

It was that mania that had me find Larson, and it further "humanized" this pedigree.....Are larsons the best pedigree?...no......I am just a sucker for white pages and 1000 books collection that has some of the hardest to find hardcore GA....jon

Boy, I don't blame you and It's great of you to keep posting these treasures. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I think San Francisco/Tom Reily books are awesome. Book to book they measure up to MH's and sometimes surpass.

West

The San Francisco Sub Mariners are out of this world... cloud9.gifcloud9.gif

Subby2.jpg

Subby6.jpg

Wow. There's something about the story behind the Reilly collection that is very powerful and appealing. I'd love to see more. I've seen a couple of MLJ's that looked like they had slab damage, which is sad. I also wonder how many pedigrees were initially lost after they were first divided up and how many went downhill. I'd also like to ask John which ones he thinks are true pedigrees, other than Church and Larson.

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

JTM, are those your Subbys?

I ask because I thought Redbeard still had the # 2 (we talked about it last year).

STEVE

Ha! I wish. While I have a small handful of nice GA Subbys, I haven't even gotten close to any of the San Fransiscos. No, I pulled those images from the CGC Gallery to share here.

Maybe one day.... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

That would be me !!! takeit.gif

Welcome to the Boards! hi.gif

If you feel like sharing some scans I'm sure there'd be more than a few of us interested in seeing them!

That would be me !!! takeit.gif

Welcome to the Boards! hi.gif

If you feel like sharing some scans I'm sure there'd be more than a few of us interested in seeing them!

Why thanks Adam, it's always nice to feel welcome! Say, you've been on here a while, is there a San Francisco pedigree comic thread someplace? I'll see what I can do about getting some of my books scanned this weekend and post some asap. hi.gif

One of the weaker covers in the early run...

100_1701.jpg

...but we do have several old friends in attendance:

Cool colors on that one Steve. And it is refreshing to see a spine with actual damage in your collection!! cloud9.gif

Makes the rest of us feel better about our books!

grin.gif