• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT Rant: USPS Media Mail-A License to Steal

34 posts in this topic

the second box of comics i've sent via Media Mail was mysteriously "damaged by mechanical equipment" and the address label (in this case the actual top of the box) was found lying loose w/ the contents nowhere to be found. now i can jump through a hundred hoops and hope to get back my insured amount sometime this century. absolutely pathetic.

What are you going to tell them was in the box worth $50, and what documentation are you going to use to support it?

i insured it for $150 so i guess i'll use their invoice- still don't expect to see any $ for months. and the guy on the receiving end was a bit bummed to say the least.

You should use the USPS Flat Rate Box. $8.10, and it gets there without getting eaten by wolves. thumbsup2.gif

this would've been the way to go- can you get 100 comics in one of those boxes?

In two... If you take a deep breath. smirk.gif

What are you going to tell them was in the box worth $50, and what documentation are you going to use to support it?

i insured it for $150 so i guess i'll use their invoice- still don't expect to see any $ for months. and the guy on the receiving end was a bit bummed to say the least.

Our (USPS) invoice just shows the amount you insured it for. It is not proof of value.

Before the blame , as usual, comes at the Post Office for damaged mail, I'd love to see the box and the tape job done to ship those books.

Hopefully, you don't run into problems. Because the post office considers comics as periodicals with advertisement, they're not suppose to be shipped media mail. At least that's how they run it around here and I even had the post office show me in writing. It basically says that a periodical is a magazine that is published at least 4-times a year, which majority of comics fall into. Just wanted to give you heads up because they're probably not going to make it easy for you.

Really. I'm wondering what the PO will say when they find out you were illegally shipping material containing advertising at the reduced rate of media mail.Theft of services,anyone?

Hope you don't wind up like the guy who called the cops when someone trampled one of his pot plants.

Bill, I've made my mistakes and tried to learn from them.

My view when shipping comics were that they were "used books" when the ad was no longer active.( Even at that, I have sent some media that I should not have. Heck, with what little I have sent the few pennies I saved was kinda stupid on my part.) I believed that until recently when I tried to find an exception for it in the manuals and could not, so I no longer use media mail.

It's either BPM, Parcel or Priority for me now.

Don't really know what else to say.

You show proof of payment from the buyer. confused-smiley-013.gif

That should work. PayPal receipt, invoice, something of that nature.

I have re-read my original post to paperheart and would just like to say to him that I apologize for the tone. Not to make excuses for myself but it was a long day today at the window and I came home and saw the heading to this thread and got defensive. I don't know him and certainly have no right to question his packaging.

Again, I apologize for that.

flowerred.gif