• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Impact Dents/Impressions and Grade Impact

6 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Maybe I dont have the right term, but what impact do numerous small impressions have on grades? The best I can do to describe this is imagine a comic set onto a table with a few grains of sand there, then pressed down.

I dont really see a mention of said impressions in the Overstreet Grading Guide.

Thanks for any inputs you have.

First off, welcome to the boards!

There's no formula to it, but if the impressions you speak of are as minor as I think (tiny "pinprick" dents with no color breaks, just indents in the gloss), I'd guess that if the book is 9.0 or lower, it wouldn't make any difference to the grade at all unless there's a ton of them.

If you have a "borderline" case where you think a book's grade would be affected, feel free to post scans in the grading forum and get some opinions. thumbsup2.gif

Jon

Hey all,

Maybe I dont have the right term, but what impact do numerous small impressions have on grades? The best I can do to describe this is imagine a comic set onto a table with a few grains of sand there, then pressed down.

I dont really see a mention of said impressions in the Overstreet Grading Guide.

Thanks for any inputs you have.

Hey . . . *spoon* happens! 27_laughing.gif The effect that minute defects such as these cannot be ascertained without having the book in hand. They ARE defects, but just how much weight to give them varies in each instance. I don't even think that scans would help us here. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You are right, spoon does happen. Maybe next time it wont be to me though. There are about 20 of these and none break color. The book is from the early 60s and had 9.2/9.4 potential w/o these.

Thanks for all the inputs so far. I guess I'll have to live with the thought that its a sweet book with indents that annoy me to no end.

PS: I dont have a scanner yet or you would all get to see a picture at least, sorry about that.