• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PRICE IS RIGHT INCREDIBLE HULK CGC 9.9 CAP 100 CGC 9.9

27 posts in this topic

Just for fun: Give your best estimate of the price of each book if actually sold in San Diego Comic Convention. Following the Price is Right game rules; the winner should be the closest to the price sold but not over the price. The winner should receive a prize, which will be determined by our suggestions (majority wins). Let us lay down some rules. Any volunteer /s to initiate or lead the game?

Captain America #100 CGC 9.9

Incredible Hulk #181 CGC 9.9

Iron Man #1 CGC 9.9

Iron Man & Sub-Mariner #1 CGC 9.9

I would gladly give greggy's left nut for all those books. Then again I would give 'em both of greggy's nuts (if he still had them - I'm always reminded of what they would have looked like every time I look at the books I bought from him, laden with scrotal-esque production creases:p)

Ok - how about we make those the prize tongue.gif

Captain America #100 CGC 9.9 $15000

Incredible Hulk #181 CGC 9.9 $100000

Iron Man #1 CGC 9.9 $5000

Iron Man & Sub-Mariner #1 CGC 9.9 $3000

I would gladly give greggy's left nut for all those books. Then again I would give 'em both of greggy's nuts (if he still had them - I'm always reminded of what they would have looked like every time I look at the books I bought from him, laden with scrotal-esque production creases:p)

Ok - how about we make those the prize tongue.gif

As long as majority of the participants agree with your named prize and of course if greggy agrees?

Hey guys,

Can I play???

All kidding aside, I think that $3000 for the Iron Man & Sub-Mariner #1 9.9 is a bit cheap. A little over two years ago, we purchased that book for $2800 + a box of Macadamia nuts. I would actually pay double that ($6000) right now if anyone else had that book because I have another client interested in it. As for the Iron Man #1 CGC 9.9, I would take a couple of them at $5000 because I am sure that I have clients that would want those as well. This is a good topic and I hope everyone has fun.

Bryce

Ideal Collectables

www.ideal808.com

Hey guys,

Can I play???

All kidding aside, I think that $3000 for the Iron Man & Sub-Mariner #1 9.9 is a bit cheap. A little over two years ago, we purchased that book for $2800 + a box of Macadamia nuts. I would actually pay double that ($6000) right now if anyone else had that book because I have another client interested in it. As for the Iron Man #1 CGC 9.9, I would take a couple of them at $5000 because I am sure that I have clients that would want those as well. This is a good topic and I hope everyone has fun.

Bryce

Ideal Collectables

www.ideal808.com

Ummm...so for $6000.00 and 2 boxes of madacamia nuts you'd be interested? I don't have one myself but just wanted to be clear on your offer. grin.gif

Captain America #100 CGC 9.9 $17500

Incredible Hulk #181 CGC 9.9 $45000

Iron Man #1 CGC 9.9 $15000

Iron Man & Sub-Mariner #1 CGC 9.9 $12500

Definately a lot more than $3k for the IM&SUB#1, thats a price I also would take several copies of if avaiable! And I think $100k is way to high for the Hulk#181, we saw the 9.8 go to almost $20k, now I know the label means more than anything in this game, but that one point for a comic that will undoubtably look the same is mad. I have doubled the $20k and added 5 for luck. Anyway, none will be sold, they are just status symbols, and good ones to have too, much better than a personalized number plate or a gold lexus (for the type of business it is anyway!) grin.gif

Incredible Hulk #181 CGC 9.9 $45000

And I think $100k is way to high for the Hulk#181, we saw the 9.8 go to almost $20k, now I know the label means more than anything in this game, but that one point for a comic that will undoubtably look the same is mad. I have doubled the $20k and added 5 for luck

Kev, while I agree with you that $100K is way too high for the Hulk #181, Ideal have already said in the another thread that the owner has recently turned down an offer of $60K for the book.

So, crazy as it may seem, your $45K guess is a little on the low side...

Hey guys,

Can I play???

Bryce

Ideal Collectables

www.ideal808.com

Ummm...so for $6000.00 and 2 boxes of madacamia nuts you'd be interested? I don't have one myself but just wanted to be clear on your offer. grin.gif

I'm short on the macadamia nuts so that leaves me out of the running to purchase this book. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

WOW, I missed that thread. Would you turn down $60k for that book? I don't expect he paid more than $1k for it. In my opinion that is pure greed. If I owned it, I would obviously like to get the best I could for it, but if someone offered $60k shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif then I would never think I would get anymore than that, even through Heritage!

If someone offered me $60K for a Bronze Age book, I would think they were crazy and that I had won the lottery. grin.gif

I don't care how 'perfect' the book may be, over 50 X guide is way out there. insane.gif

Thats the same as someone paying $8million fo an Action Comics #1 in 9.6, and I dont think that would even get that. As a mark up, you couldnt get better than 50x guide!

I think someone might pay $8 mil for Action #1 CGC 9.6. If I had lots of money (and I mean LOTS) I would consider it. If it was the only copy.

But I think that $100K for the Hulk is too much, since it is far more likely that another 9.9 of that will show up than a 9.6 Action #1.

Your words are 100% correct. What I'm saying is that the Action #1 in 9.6 would be a far better investment, even at $8mil, but the chances of it getting that are slimmer than the Hulk getting $100k, just seems terrible, especially as over the next couple of years there will be a few more 9.8s pop up, maybe a couple more 9.9s and pushing it, even a 10.0 shocked.gif Chances of even getting your hands on an 8.5 Action 1 are slim, so WTF is it with this book!

I'm not a hater, far from it. In my 15 years in the game the Hulk 181 has been my favorite book, and Wolvie my favorite caracter (and this was way before the Movie was even thought of). And I would love to have a top notch copy (9.6-10.0), but at those prices, I'll be buying in about 3 years time!

I think someone might pay $8 mil for Action #1 CGC 9.6. If I had lots of money (and I mean LOTS) I would consider it.

An Action #1 CGC 9.6 wouldn't sell for anywhere near $8 million. That legendary 1933 St. Gaudens Double Eagle coin sold a year ago for a record $7.59 million (the previous mark was $4.14 million) and I believe the all-time record price for a baseball card is the $1.265 million a T-206 Honus Wagner fetched in 2000 (near the height of the tech bubble when a million didn't mean all that much). No comic (except for the supposed price JP got for the Marvel Pay Copy, which nobody actually believes) has even broken $1 million to date.

Think about how big of a comic/Superman fan you would have to be and how much wealth you would have to have to lay out $8 million for this book. Think about what $8 million is worth in property terms - that's more than what the primary residence of most A-list celebrities costs. At a 40% combined Federal/state/local tax rate, that's $13.33 million in pre-tax income. I think you would have to be worth upwards of $250 million to even begin thinking about laying out that kind of money, and even then your wife would probably kill you. So, realistically, I think you're talking about people with a net worth in excess of a half billion dollars and even then 99.999% of these people would likely opt for additional real estate holdings or a nice Renoir or Monet at that kind of price.

Realistically, I think such a copy would sell for the high $1 millions or the low $2 millions, though it wouldn't surprise me if it sold for even less. I think people look at JP's $1 million "offer" for the 9.4 and don't realize how difficult tying up an extra $1 million (let alone an extra $7 million) in capital would be for any dealer or collector.

Gene

I think someone might pay $8 mil for Action #1 CGC 9.6. If I had lots of money (and I mean LOTS) I would consider it.

An Action #1 CGC 9.6 wouldn't sell for anywhere near $8 million. That legendary 1933 St. Gaudens Double Eagle coin sold a year ago for a record $7.59 million (the previous mark was $4.14 million) and I believe the all-time record price for a baseball card is the $1.265 million a T-206 Honus Wagner fetched in 2000 (near the height of the tech bubble when a million didn't mean all that much). No comic (except for the supposed price JP got for the Marvel Pay Copy, which nobody actually believes) has even broken $1 million to date.

Think about how big of a comic/Superman fan you would have to be and how much wealth you would have to have to lay out $8 million for this book. Think about what $8 million is worth in property terms - that's more than what the primary residence of most A-list celebrities costs. At a 40% combined Federal/state/local tax rate, that's $13.33 million in pre-tax income. I think you would have to be worth upwards of $250 million to even begin thinking about laying out that kind of money, and even then your wife would probably kill you. So, realistically, I think you're talking about people with a net worth in excess of a half billion dollars and even then 99.999% of these people would likely opt for additional real estate holdings or a nice Renoir or Monet at that kind of price.

Realistically, I think such a copy would sell for the high $1 millions or the low $2 millions, though it wouldn't surprise me if it sold for even less. I think people look at JP's $1 million "offer" for the 9.4 and don't realize how difficult tying up an extra $1 million (let alone an extra $7 million) in capital would be for any dealer or collector.

Gene

By "LOTS" of money, I mean money like Bill Gates/Warren Buffett. If I had that much money and someone came up to me with an Action #1 CGC 9.6, I would consider it. Sure, it's not necessarily a smart investment move, but I wouldn't be buying it for investment purposes.

It's basically the top of the heap for comic collections, like that 1933 Double Eagle is for US coin collectors. The only problem is that the coin definately is one (two) of a kind (one is in the Smithsonian - can not circulate like this one could). It's always conceivable that another Action #1 CGC 9.6 (or even 9.8/9.9/10.0) could show up. But if I were betting, I would bet the farm that seeing a 9.6 you'd be seeing the best one existing.

It all comes down to financial perspective. Yeah, if I was only worth $250 million, I wouldn't consider it, but if I were worth $25 billion, I would definately consider it. Since I have no where near either one of those, it's all theoretical to me anyway!