• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obadiah for Sale?!!

71 posts in this topic

Just out of curiosity... why didn't you set it up as a reserve auction? That would at least let you guage the interest in the book? Set your reserve at the $48k and see if it makes it. It would probably still be beneficial to know if someone would pay $36k for the book even if they weren't ready to go to your reserve.

I'll tell you why... it 'taints' the book if the high bid isn't close to his cost as there's now a public record of a very low price.

Since he hasn't answered this I think you may be right.

Once every year or so I will put up for sale a big book....last year it was a high grade Yellow Kid in McFadden's Flats that ended up bringing a new record price for that book, and it is now in the Geppi Museum ( Steve Geppi was the buyer ).

It is allright with you guys if I try to sell something once in a while, isn't it? I was not aware that I needed Boards approval to offer an item for sale in my Ebay Store.

I for one, hope you make a ton of money on it after what you had to endure on the boards a while back. I'm pulling for you. Good luck.

Ditto. Come on guys, this routine has been done to death already...why not give him a break... confused-smiley-013.gif

Some of you are being incredibly unfair IMO. Steve did not start this thread - I did - and I wouldn't have if I had thought it was just going to turn into another flamefest. For that Steve I apologize. I had thought everyone was over all that beyond a little good natured ribbing now and then.

Realistically, the OO vs. Superman thread probably did more harm than good as far as promoting OO. Does anyone think that a buyer for this book is going to appear from these boards after reading that thread? Does anyone think that thread was better advertising for this book than having a copy displayed at Geppi's museum during it's opening? Or making one post on the Platinum List where there is a more receptive audience? Please.

And as for his choice of selling method, what do you expect? Why would he put this book up in a reserve auction and have it get low bids? That would be stupid. A book like this has a limited pool of potential buyers and it may be a while before the right person comes along. Why do anything to lessen the potential value, just so some of you can have the pleasure of saying I told you so?

Cut the man some slack and wish him well in trying to sell his book just like you would with any other forum member.

Some of you are being incredibly unfair IMO. Steve did not start this thread - I did - and I wouldn't have if I had thought it was just going to turn into another flamefest. For that Steve I apologize.

Tell you what Jeff...hit the "buy it now" button, pay by money order, and we'll call it even wink.gif

Some of you are being incredibly unfair IMO. Steve did not start this thread - I did - and I wouldn't have if I had thought it was just going to turn into another flamefest. For that Steve I apologize.

Tell you what...hit the "buy it now" button, pay by money order, and we'll call it even wink.gif

uhh... will you take time payments? (gulp) blush.gif

Some of you are being incredibly unfair IMO.

The reason that people aren't giving him the slack that other Boards members normally get is because of the way that Obadiah vs. Superman thread was presented. He came onto the Boards and right away created a shill posting to promote the wildly overpaid book that he possesses. You're correct in stated that the posting wasn't well received, but did you expect it to be? I have a lot of unpopular opinions about books, artists, and original art, but I am not foolish enough to post diatribes about how I think these things are undervalued. I'd only be asking for trouble.

I can see why this sale is generating a lot of humor for a number of Boards members. Perhaps the motivation for that posting is now clear.

The reason that people aren't giving him the slack that other Boards members normally get is because of the way that Obadiah vs. Superman thread was presented. He came onto the Boards and right away created a shill posting to promote the wildly overpaid book that he possesses. You're correct in stated that the posting wasn't well received, but did you expect it to be? I have a lot of unpopular opinions about books, artists, and original art, but I am not foolish enough to post diatribes about how I think these things are undervalued. I'd only be asking for trouble.

I can see why this sale is generating a lot of humor for a number of Boards members. Perhaps the motivation for that posting is now clear.

Do you think any savy collector has suddenly decided to go after OO? I know I still look at it as something I wouldn't even consider buying. It just does absolutely nothing for me. I agree, it definitely brings into question his whole motivation. BTW, still I say he is KK or KK's twin brother.

Do you think any savy collector has suddenly decided to go after OO? I know I still look at it as something I wouldn't even consider buying. It just does absolutely nothing for me. I agree, it definitely brings into question his whole motivation. BTW, still I say he is KK or KK's twin brother.

My oh my.....what a set back this is. It's like July of '06 all over again. You mean someone on the CGC Gold Boards who calls himself Batman_Fan isn't interested in a Victorian Age book? 893whatthe.gifnews.gif

....and KK, or KK's twin brother? sleeping.gif

....and my motivation, as to imply that the OO vs. Supes thread in July of '06 was all a clever plan to turn some poor sap on the GA Boards into a believer so I could sell him a Victorian Age key for a new record price in December of '06, and laugh all the way to the bank? ...........yeah, that's it. My plan has been foiled. foreheadslap.gif

I will hazard a guess that the book would sell for about 10% of his asking price if there was no reserve.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

hey Paull...stick to Golden Age auction predictions.....you won't embarass yourself as much. If my book was listed in the Platinum Age section of Ebay instead of my Ebay store ( less visibility there ), and had a starting bid of $1 with no reserve, it would bring 10% of my buy it now price within 3 -4 hours.......I don't think it...I KNOW it.

Obadiah Oldbuck is a Victorian/Platinum Age Grail......you may think there is no such thing, but that is due to your ignorance. I find it amusing that something can't be valuable and desirable to others unless YOU collect it and understand it. screwy.gif The book is made out of gold to the right collector....if you see toilet paper, then perhaps this is not the book for you.

Yes, Steve's intial posts trumpeting the supremacy of OO rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, myself included. And for that he was thoroughly raked over the coals for weeks. He has since apologized numerous times and gone on to become a entertaining and valuable contributor to this forum IMO. I think most people have moved on. How long does he need to do penance for his Obadiah heresy? Come on guys, lighten up - it's Chistmas. flowerred.gif

My oh my.....what a set back this is. It's like July of '06 all over again. You mean someone on the CGC Gold Boards who calls himself Batman_Fan isn't interested in a Victorian Age book? 893whatthe.gifnews.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

Yes, Steve's intial posts trumpeting the supremacy of OO rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, myself included. And for that he was thoroughly raked over the coals for weeks. He has since apologized numerous times and gone on to become a entertaining and valuable contributor to this forum IMO. I think most people have moved on. How long does he need to do penance for his Obadiah heresy? Come on guys, lighten up - it's Chistmas. flowerred.gif

Steve has more than paid penance, he is one of the top Boardies in my opinion. Nobody debated longer and more passionatley with Steve in that thread than I did, and tell you the guy is tip top.

He's got TWO of the books. He wants to start collecting Pre-Bat Tecs, that takes serious bread. Selling one to do that makes perfect sense. It isn't difficult to think that he bought one or both of the OO's as an investment.

I hope someone pops the BIN and he scores some great Tecs he can share with us. Just because I wouldn't pop it and others on this GA forum wouldn't, doesn't mean that someone won't. I used to know a guy in New Orleans who sold me a killer collection of Golden Age to raise money to buy Plats and Victs, for some it just does it for them.

Steve has more than paid penance, he is one of the top Boardies in my opinion. Nobody debated longer and more passionatley with Steve in that thread than I did, and tell you the guy is tip top.

He's got TWO of the books. He wants to start collecting Pre-Bat Tecs, that takes serious bread. Selling one to do that makes perfect sense. It isn't difficult to think that he bought one or both of the OO's as an investment.

I hope someone pops the BIN and he scores some great Tecs he can share with us. Just because I wouldn't pop it and others on this GA forum wouldn't, doesn't mean that someone won't. I used to know a guy in New Orleans who sold me a killer collection of Golden Age to raise money to buy Plats and Victs, for some it just does it for them.

Well said. thumbsup2.gif

If anything, my interest in Obadiah Oldbuck is lower because of that train wreck of a thread. tongue.gif

If anything, my interest in Obadiah Oldbuck is lower because of that train wreck of a thread. tongue.gif

i know nothing about the old thread, but it looks like a seriously "overpricediah oldbook" to me.