• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obadiah for Sale?!!

71 posts in this topic

2...thanks for asking. Neither really blows my skirt up. (highest is for what I paid)

Too bad this wasn't a regular auction with a reserve, then it'd be easier for you to prove what you say.

Although OO is a dirty word here on the Boards, there are some pretty smart people in the comic community who think down the road OO will be a really big deal....and not just to a few people.

Please, name (not just) a few...

Although OO is a dirty word here on the Boards, there are some pretty smart people in the comic community who think down the road OO will be a really big deal....and not just to a few people.

I'm not going thu this again..........but to prove to my fellow Boardsmen that my previously questioned temper and combative nature is under control, I would like to simply say: Spider - welcome to the Boards! flowerred.gif

2...thanks for asking. Neither really blows my skirt up. (highest is for what I paid)

Too bad this wasn't a regular auction with a reserve, then it'd be easier for you to prove what you say.

so who are you today, and please refrain from picking on our favorite OO collector. boo.gif We don't have to agree....but at least fess up and prove up.....or shill out.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:40 am Post subject: 1st Platinum/Victorian Comic for Sale. Reply with quote

The owner of two known Brother Jonathan's from 1842 featuring the 1st printing of The Adventures of Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck by Wilson and Co./ Brother Jonathan is up for sell on eBay.

The seller is seeking $48,500 for this rare book.

I'm curious to see if anyone will hit the BIN. Personally, I have a hard time believing this is accurately labeled as a comic book. Here's the comparison between this book and Action Comics 1:

Action Comics 1938 approx 80-150? copies exist 1st Superman

Obadiah Oldbuck 1842 approx. 8 copies exist 1st US comic book

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:21 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Later issues were much better, especially No. 17, where Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck uses his heat vision to burn down Atlanta.

In No. 24, Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck helped form the KKK as a sort of Justice League of Racists.

That followed No. 23, where a black man seduced Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck's wife in a barn.

Interesting comics, for their time.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:46 am Post subject: Reply with quote

In issue 44 Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck helped some Spanish marines plant a bomb on a U.S. battleship in Havana ... meanwhile (and covered in detail in No. 45) Mrs. Obadiah Oldbuck was entering an entirely sexual phase of her relationship with her Cuban gardener Javier.

She wanted a bed of posies; he wanted to lay his yard snake in her dirtstar. He got his way.

In issue 46, Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck helped T. Roosevelt lead a charge up San Juan Hill. Some say he was a bit overzealous in his assault.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:04 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'll soldier on ...

After taking a few years off, Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck went to visit his friend Gavvy Princip in Serbia. In No. 66, Gavvy thought it would be a great idea to throw some big firecrackers at passing cars. The last time Obadiah saw him, Gavvy was running towards a large limo shouting "Oh, that *spoon* is definitely getting one!"

A couple of weeks later, and covered in No. 67, Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck was severely beaten after attempting to teabag a Prussian hooker in Munich. He tried to drown his sorrows at the Hofbrauhaus, but was thrown out after asking what "titten" meant.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:19 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

In No. 70, Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck returned from Europe only to contract syphilis from Herb Hoover's sloppy seconds (he used to vigorously bang Nanny Britton after she got home from school).

In No. 71 Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck heard you could cure syphilis by getting an extraordinarily bad sunburn. He was later tossed from the downtown club after arriving buttnaked and red as a lobster, shouting "See ladies, everything is OK! I'm better!"

Down on his luck yet again, he tried to earn money toward the end of the decade by throwing bankers out of high windows.

I like to rock out with my *spoon* out, Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck-style!